Question in IPad data

So I have my cell phone with unlimited data. I was going to get an I pad and was considering not getting internet service with it, and just using my IPhone as a hot spot, and using WIFI when I can.

That will save me $75 / month

Are here any drawbacks to not getting a data plan on a new iPod?
    Thanks for any input.

So there is the obvious price difference of a WiFi vs WiFi + Cellular versions. Other than data, the only other use case that I can think of for the cellular version is GPS. For instance, I use an iPad mini in my truck with offline maps when off-roading or driving forest roads. Because I only have the WiFi version, I have to tether the iPad to an external gps. If needed a cellular version can be purchased and never activated with a data plan.

Most cell companies are smart to this and regulate how much data you can use as a hotspot and on tablets. They will also lots of times throttle your data after a certain amount.

If you can stay within those limits, it's a good way to save some $$.

Why would this cost $75/month? I think with Verizon, if you already have a cell phone with unlimited data you can add an iPad for just $10/month, data only. Talk to your carrier rep, and see if they don’t have a similar deal.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Why would this cost $75/month? I think with Verizon, if you already have a cell phone with unlimited data you can add an iPad for just $10/month, data only. Talk to your carrier rep, and see if they don’t have a similar deal.
    Good question. I signed up for this First Net program for first responders. It lowered my cost from $150 to 90 a month but then i got worked on the i pad deal. So i am probably just going to cancel that, but a new i pad and use wifi.

Can you use an iPhone like normal now when you have the hotspot on?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.