Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I’d be in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I’d be interested.

Did a preliminary CAD for a dynafit toe adapter plate that uses the standard 30x39mm mount pattern. Preliminary weight would be around 50-70g in 7075 Aluminum. submitted a request for quote assuming we can get 10 people to order. I still need to do final CAD work for an accurate weight, don't have a toe track with me right now.

I was also looking around and saw these bindings on Voile. 125g for the toe pieces alone, brakes are another 82g each (prior to cutting anything down). Not bad, and the mounting pattern is extremely small. Cost is good too.

Could be a good candidate for either mounting directly to the ski, or on an adapter plate (weight the plate weight would be cut down to maybe 30g. I know most who would do this mod probably already have toe pieces they'd want to use.

Touring weight I'd get would be:

Toe Track: 115g (I think it can be cut down more)
    Heel Track: 100g
    Voile Brakes: 75g
    Adapter Plate: 60g

= 350g + Toe Piece of Your choice. 80g fro Low Tech Race or Superlite 2.0

430g on the up for the performance on the down would be pretty stellar. Could even get some boot center point adjust ability on both the up and the down too.

The adapter plate may be tricky though, not sure if they'll be able to manufacture it the way I want it designed.

Have you looked at the various plates avail from Tyrolia?

Not sure how that would help. The tricky part is in the way the track "captures" the toe piece/adapter plate.

3D Printing Probably makes a lot more sense.

After shipping, the plates would be around $75/pair in this material: https://www.protolabs.com/media/1019...12-black-f.pdf
    I would think plastic should be strong enough for this purpose, there aren't too severe of forces on them skinning up. I would not ski down on them. If they ever break they'd be cheap to replace (cheap enough maybe to have a spare in your pack).

Some other plastics too I was looking at for around $100/pair.

~Ceramic material (not too brittle though) for $125/pair.

There's a metal plated material that's much stronger, waiting to see on the cost for that. Likely more like $150/pair
    https://www.protolabs.com/media/1019...data-sheet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Not sure how that would help. The tricky part is in the way the track "captures" the toe piece/adapter plate.
    My thought, exactly. In other words, the clipping/stopping mechanism so you can utilize the adjustment "bumps" on the toe track to adjust and then lock it in place, just like the Attack2 demo toe piece.

My design would go off what Jondrums was hinting at, which is the plate is basically free to slide forward and back on the toe track, until you tighten a thumb screw which keys into the toe plate to prevent it from sliding forward or back. It would not use the detents.

I really liked the idea of having the tech toe on a removeable track while I was assembling my components to build my set. But, after mounting my set, I think the tech toe track would just end up adding weight and it's one more thing to fiddle with/break/lose. Mounting the tech toe directly to the ski is simple, bomber, and doesn't get in the way of anything. My .02 maybe I'm just lazy.

One of my main concerns would be having the tech toe almost 2" ahead of the normal mount point?

One of my main concerns would be having the tech toe almost 2" ahead of the normal mount point?
    I hear ya... but, I don't think it will matter much, for me at least, on the uphill only portion of my program. As stated, I'm lazy and tend to slog no matter what.

Tech plates would be a cool project and I wish you the best!

Not having to add or remove a tech toe from ski to ski would be a main benefit of the slider plate adaptor.

I have more than one pair with attack2 demos, including loaner skis.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Not having to add or remove a tech toe from ski to ski would be a main benefit of the slider plate adaptor.

I have more than one pair with attack2 demos, including loaner skis.
    Yes. The quiver possibility expands greatly with a tech toe track.

Plus, who really wants to chop off the front end of their toe track?

I'm psyched for the prototype.

Put me down as interested in the adapter plate!
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

I’m willing to contribute.... for science

I love a good science project. Im in

Count me in for some slide on plates. I have all the other components.

Has anyone confirmed if this will work with Warden demos?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DIY Alpine Downhill + Tech Toe uphill touring binding

Looks like we’ll have enough people to do the plates. I have my demo bindings now, pretty busy for the next couple weeks but hoping to get a detailed cad model made next week. I’ll post the design here for feedback/input before moving forward and collecting orders

I’ll probably do one prototype first and test it on my bindings to make sure everything works before doing the large group run. I’ll bake that into the cost of the plates, not planning on doing this for a profit

I’m putting dynafit standard toe mount pattern on for sure, I can probably fit one more mount pattern on. Any requests? SupreChicken wanted atk

Isn’t the inner mount for ATK the same as the original 5 hole dynafit toe pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Has anyone confirmed if this will work with Warden demos?

Taking the plunge with that soon. A fellow mag confirmed that the warden 13 demo toe will slide off the track in either direction and that the heel will slide off backwards...

So it should work. Will update further once completed.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

My touring binding knowledge is limited to shifts, king pins and similar. Could someone list off what bindings would be good toes for this setup? i.e. "limited distance between toe pins and back of toe piece".

Bumping this. Toe and heel tracks are a little long, but wardens will work. Pics once I’ve completed the build. I need a ski for it still.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

If yall need some help prototyping this out, if be more than happy to print out the concept and ship to folks, before you throw it over to protolabs. Additionally, while they’re super easy to work with, ive had really good success with having parts made at star prototype in SZ, itll take longer to get but could be a bit cheaper.

"Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Salaar Estate

Nice