Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I picked up a used pair of Dynafit Superlite toes for this mod, and am thinking I can make adapter plates to slide them onto the Attack demo toe baseplate, so the same pair of tech toes could be used on multiple skis. Haven't had time to mess with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I picked up a used pair of Dynafit Superlite toes for this mod, and am thinking I can make adapter plates to slide them onto the Attack demo toe baseplate, so the same pair of tech toes could be used on multiple skis. Haven't had time to mess with it though.
    Have you played around with this project yet?

Unfortunately no, working on Spring skis currently. Making adapters to mount Xenic toes on Tecton pattern.

I am in Austria. But i am super keen on some tech toe slide on adapter plate.
    Could wire money if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    BTW, has anyone considered 3D printing an adapter for the tech-toes to mount on the Attack rails? It doesn't need to be very strong, since you're only going up on it.
    I'm no expert on 3D printing, but the adapter would have to be pretty stout given the twisting load when sidehilling.

I was thinking a 3/8 piece of aluminum plate with a wide trough milled out on the underside, and slots cut into the sides of the trough to key into the baseplate. If the side slots aren't continuous and the adapter slides onto the baseplate from only one direction, you could drill and tap a hole for a set screw (with a knurled head to be finger-tightened) on one end that locks the adapter onto the baseplate. Or you could grind a notch into the edge of the baseplate somewhere and locate the set screw there, so the adapter can't move forward or back. Drill and tap the top for the tech binding.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    I am in Austria. But i am super keen on some tech toe slide on adapter plate. Could wire money if needed.
    Sorry, unfortunately I've put this project on hold, just don't have time for it right now and just sold the three pair of Attack2 bindings I bought for it.

Just do what I did instead? Seems unnecessary to do plates, etc.

Timely bump... I was just thinking about this setup this morning. Going to start looking for Attack AT demo bindings. Thanks for the original inspiration.

DIY Alpine Downhill + Tech Toe uphill touring binding

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Timely bump... I was just thinking about this setup this morning. Going to start looking for Attack AT demo bindings. Thanks for the original inspiration.
    Not sure where you are located, but there is a pair for sale on Facebook in salt lake. I can send you the link if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I'm no expert on 3D printing, but the adapter would have to be pretty stout given the twisting load when sidehilling.

I was thinking a 3/8 piece of aluminum plate with a wide trough milled out on the underside, and slots cut into the sides of the trough to key into the baseplate. If the side slots aren't continuous and the adapter slides onto the baseplate from only one direction, you could drill and tap a hole for a set screw (with a knurled head to be finger-tightened) on one end that locks the adapter onto the baseplate. Or you could grind a notch into the edge of the baseplate somewhere and locate the set screw there, so the adapter can't move forward or back. Drill and tap the top for the tech binding.

Sorry, unfortunately I've put this project on hold, just don't have time for it right now and just sold the three pair of Attack2 bindings I bought for it.
    A slow motion sled rollover claimed one of my touring skis late last spring, so I made a much more basic, crude version of what you're describing.

I had several skis laying around with Attack2 demos on them, along with an extra set of Attack2 Demo toes in the shed, so I disassembled the extra toe pieces, removed the wings/spring/housing, ground them flat, and mounted/epoxied tech toes to the remaining base plate.

Definitely not as stout sounding as what you described, but the whole thing took me about an hour to do and I've got 5ish days on them with no slop.

The stack height is up there and they're heavier than all hell, but I'm stoked to have the tech toe piece to unlock a broad quiver for slack use.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    A slow motion sled rollover claimed one of my touring skis late last spring, so I made a much more basic, crude version of what you're describing.

I had several skis laying around with Attack2 demos on them, along with an extra set of Attack2 Demo toes in the shed, so I disassembled the extra toe pieces, removed the wings/spring/housing, ground them flat, and mounted/epoxied tech toes to the remaining base plate.

Definitely not as stout sounding as what you described, but the whole thing took me about an hour to do and I've got 5ish days on them with no slop.

The stack height is up there and they're heavier than all hell, but I'm stoked to have the tech toe piece to unlock a broad quiver for slack use.
    Are you using them only for the up & swapping proper toes for the down? If so, what's that transition like in real conditions w/snow/ice crammed into the tracks?

Yes, only using them on the up.

I didn't have any issues with icing, but I only used them at our closed down ski hill (well traveled skin track), and very short tours from sled bumps. You can slide the toe piece on/off from either direction, so I guess if the track ices up on one end you've got a shot on the other.

For a climbing helper I just use the heel piece. I engage it, slide it all the way forward, and get a good amount of lift out of it. Adjusting them from flat to climb on the fly is a real bitch, but I'm not too worried about it.

I have Tectons on a ski I love for a DD touring rig, so these won't see much use. For me, it's a great option to have as a back up, for guests to borrow, and to throw on some giant powder skis I have with Attack2s.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post

Pictures? I’ve gathered all the parts to build these frankenbindings and am going to start playing around with assembly soon. Interested in your slide on/off tech toes. Thanks

They are in storage, but will post some as soon as I dig them out.

Thanks and praises to Lindahl!

Mounted my FrankenCAST setup this afternoon. All went as planned given his directions and some measure twice/cut or drill once protocol. I did wimp out and buy Voile splitboard heel risers instead of manufacturing my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	343583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	343584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	343585  

Thanks and praises to Lindahl!

Mounted my FrankenCAST setup this afternoon. All went as planned given his directions and some measure twice/cut or drill once protocol. I did wimp out and buy Voile splitboard heel risers instead of manufacturing my own.
    gorgeous.

where'd you get those risers? the voiles i find look different (wider, two screws)
    https://content.backcountry.com/imag...107/ONECOL.jpg

Here are the heel risers that I used. I cut off the forward adjustment tongue, butted it in place against the cut off demo track, and secured it with a new single screw. It comes with machine screws for inserts which I didn’t use. Spendy, but cheaper than my hourly rate to make some or a trip to the ER with a sliced finger. Easy button.

https://www.voile.com/voile-sts-tour-binding-heel-assembly.html

Here are the heel risers that I used. I cut off the forward adjustment tongue, butted it in place against the cut off demo track, and secured it with a new single screw. It comes with machine screws for inserts which I didn’t use. Spendy, but cheaper than my hourly rate to make some or a trip to the ER with a sliced finger. Easy button.

https://www.voile.com/voile-sts-tour-binding-heel-assembly.html
    Thanks.

Finna buy new skis just so I can do this even though I really don’t need to. I wanna doe...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I got an extra pair of Attack2 demos (NIB) if anyone needs 'em.

Anyone have an idea of the weight of the tracks + heel risers? Curious how this would compare to shift in the touring layout

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Anyone have an idea of the weight of the tracks + heel risers? Curious how this would compare to shift in the touring layout

I'll weigh today & post.

I'm gonna take a punt at this as I know the weight of a single demo toe & heel base but there's about 20% length reduction of the toe base and then there's the lifters to add - so I'll guess at 270g per ski inc screws plus the weight of the tech toe of your choice.

Toe track (w/screws): 163g

Heel track (w/screws): 103g

Heel piece: 484g

Brake: (115mm): 165g

DIY Alpine Downhill + Tech Toe uphill touring binding

So if the toe track is cut by 20%, we have 130g toe track + 100g heel track + maybe 90g heel risers, super light tech toe would be about 80g. So around 400g per side for the touring config?

Sounds pretty great to me. What’s the minimum distance between toe pin line in the alpine toe vs the tech toe?

Out of curiosity, how many people would be interested in a slide on plate for the toe track for tech toes? Like Jondrums mentioned. It’s be pretty easy to design in CAD for me, a company called Protolabs can machine them out of aluminum easily. Cost is expensive unless you get many made (probably 7-10+ pairs)

So if the toe track is cut by 20%, we have 130g toe track + 100g heel track + maybe 90g heel risers, super light tech toe would be about 80g. So around 400g per side for the touring config?

Sounds pretty great to me. What’s the minimum distance between toe pin line in the alpine toe vs the tech toe?

Out of curiosity, how many people would be interested in a slide on plate for the toe track for tech toes? Like Jondrums mentioned. It’s be pretty easy to design in CAD for me, a company called Protolabs can machine them out of aluminum easily. Cost is expensive unless you get many made (probably 7-10+ pairs)

I would definitely be in for a pair.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.