Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 54
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    452
    Very curious on this. I have hip flexor issues so very lightweight up with no pins on the down sounds like money, even with icing. Does anyone ever bring a mini propane torch (do they make these?) or have another way to remove icing? Maybe people using CAST? I'm not weight sensitive so don't mind carry something in the pack, just weight on my feet sensitive.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,644
    A voile strap usually does wonders for clearing out ice. Though slamming the chunky toe piece should work just fine too.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NIseko Japan, or Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Very curious on this. I have hip flexor issues so very lightweight up with no pins on the down sounds like money, even with icing. Does anyone ever bring a mini propane torch (do they make these?) or have another way to remove icing? Maybe people using CAST? I'm not weight sensitive so don't mind carry something in the pack, just weight on my feet sensitive.
    i carry a toothbrush with me everywhere.
    havent had to use it myself but ive loaned it out countless times for people with frame bindings that are all jammed and iced up.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,930
    This is a neat idea and I'm going to check later whether the warden 11 demo bindings I have will slide off the track in the correct direction to work the same way you've described, but that binding is tool-less adjust as well so has potential.

    One thing I was wondering is if you could put the pin binding toe behind the alpine binding mount instead of in front... to put the pivot point further back for easier kick turns?

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,598
    A pin binding that could interface with the track maybe.

    Behind the track would probably make it too far back plus one would have to remove the tech pins to re engage downhill mode not to mention the heel lifts would need to move back as well.

    Seems part of the ease of this set up is to have the pins perma mounted to the ski.
    watch out for snakes

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,644

    DIY Alpine Downhill + Tech Toe uphill touring binding

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    One thing I was wondering is if you could put the pin binding toe behind the alpine binding mount instead of in front... to put the pivot point further back for easier kick turns?
    Even if it could land under your boot sole, I donít think the climbing risers would work out. The binding heel track is too long.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 12-06-2019 at 05:49 PM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    This is a neat idea and I'm going to check later whether the warden 11 demo bindings I have will slide off the track in the correct direction to work the same way you've described, but that binding is tool-less adjust as well so has potential.

    One thing I was wondering is if you could put the pin binding toe behind the alpine binding mount instead of in front... to put the pivot point further back for easier kick turns?

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Let us know what you find out. Attack2 AT demos are harder to come by than warden demos.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,598
    I am seeing the Attack2 AT demo in the 11DIN but not the 13. Being the Clydesdale that I am I would probably need the extra range.
    watch out for snakes

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,930
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    ...plus one would have to remove the tech pins to re engage downhill mode.
    Didn't think of this... good point.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Does anyone ever bring a mini propane torch (do they make these?)e.
    Yep, they're readily available - commonly known as "crack lighters"

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,598
    Trail side wax sessh for changey conditions is da bomber.
    watch out for snakes

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,930
    I just checked and warden demos slide off the front and back of the demo track without tools so would also be a candidate for this.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,598
    Nice
    watch out for snakes

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yep, they're readily available - commonly known as "crack lighters"
    Butane not propane. Propane has an awful odor

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,678
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I am seeing the Attack2 AT demo in the 11DIN but not the 13. Being the Clydesdale that I am I would probably need the extra range.
    There's a 13 DIN version, I have a couple pair. Still deciding which skis I'd like to use for this.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    14
    Nice work. Very creative.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    152
    Iíve just invested in the Dynafit beast 14 for my uphill setup. Iím not as concerned about the weight on the uphill as the pins on the downhill. Is there anyway you could do this with a beast binding?

    Iím imagining that you have any toe piece, have it mounted behind the pin insert like he does, (but you can remove it), and then somehow being able to move the heel piece? Or maybe just leaving the heel piece in place and having a second set of risers?

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,644

    DIY Alpine Downhill + Tech Toe uphill touring binding

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    Iíve just invested in the Dynafit beast 14 for my uphill setup. Iím not as concerned about the weight on the uphill as the pins on the downhill. Is there anyway you could do this with a beast binding?
    With a standard alpine toepiece the Beast 14 will have undefined release. You might not even be able to stay in that monstrosity. Youíre on your own there.

    If youíre not concerned with uphill weight just get a Shift and call it a day. It seems like you just bought the wrong product and are throwing money into a sunken cost. Get rid of the Beast 14 for a loss and start over.

    This is for people who want a low-weight uphill mode but alpine downhill.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    With a standard alpine toepiece the Beast 14 will have undefined release. You might not even be able to stay in that monstrosity. Youíre on your own there.

    If youíre not concerned with uphill weight just get a Shift and call it a day. It seems like you just bought the wrong product and are throwing money into a sunken cost. Get rid of the Beast 14 for a loss and start over.

    This is for people who want a low-weight uphill mode but alpine downhill.
    Oh simmer down Iím just posing the question.

    Iíll just mount the beasts and call it a day. The shifts arenít durable enough from what Iíve heard with plastic toe pieces and all.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    Oh simmer down Iím just posing the question.

    Iíll just mount the beasts and call it a day. The shifts arenít durable enough from what Iíve heard with plastic toe pieces and all.
    Lol... and I'd say he gave you your answer.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    452
    Any update on how these are working for people? Still very intrigued by the idea

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    942
    This looks fucking brilliant! Would it work with OG Attack demos? Has anyone tried that or know which differences between Attack demo and Attack2 demo might pose challenges?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,678
    Gen 1 would work too depending on boots. The benefit of gen 2 is the brake comes off with the heel, and the toe accepts AT boots.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,054
    This is tempting. Finding toe pieces might be slightly annoying

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    This looks fucking brilliant! Would it work with OG Attack demos? Has anyone tried that or know which differences between Attack demo and Attack2 demo might pose challenges?
    The brake arms on the orig attack are attached to the track, not the heel-piece - so it won't really work. [I guess you could wire the arms up for the climb and reverse it on the down - but that's even more fiddly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •