Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I used to worry, then I got it and now I don’t worry...about anything.
    In 10-20 years we are all going to be posting like "What thread am in? And how did I get here? Who are you people???"

I'm already there ^^ i look at a thread i posted on 15min previous and i can't remember what i wrote, i blame it on retirement
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I dont know man..I been smoking kind weed for over 30 years daily...Im not worried about people poisoning me or attempting to ruin/kill me yet.
    FIFY

mental health slow break down
    you meet people in your teens and 20s you know that are little off
    by the time your 40 50 then 60 the shit manifests pretty hard and you start breaking down
    bummer when your someone famous or popular and your shit goes south and your on display for the rest of the world to point at and talk shit getting people help is just about impossible unless they want to help themselves they mostly want to self medicate with drugs and alcohol cause its much easier and it makes you happy when you do that

weed is not some wonder drug that solves health issues it's a mind altering drug it has no real benifits other than gets you high and you don't have to deal with the world around you for a few minutes or an hour been a daily smoker for 30 years started as a early teenager anyone claiming it does some great things that make you better I tell them to shut the fuck up

dude was such a legend, just a beast of a skier.
    such a sad story. I never like seeing a wild animal caged.
    I hope he can find the help he needs and peace.
    I also hope that the families involved are able to find peace as well.

here's some footage of dean doing what he did best, which was pioneering steep lines in AK

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I thought the article gave plenty of reference to mental health issues. It was well done.

What a sad story.
    The article addresses dean's mental health issues and documents his rise and fall well.

I wish the author would have addressed mental issues in skiing communities more broadly but that's probably better suited for an article by itself altogether. I think Dean's story strikes a nerv with a lot of us, myself included, as skiing is therapeutic for many and in my experience, mental health issues are pretty rampant in mountain towns. The data supports this, suicide rates are typically pretty high in mountain towns. I know when I worked at Steamboat, part of orientation was talking about the area's suicide problem (at the time Routt County had the highest suicide rates in all of Colorado). This really wasn't the premise of the article so i don't think there was a disservice by the author but it would certainly be something worth exploring. And I think that's the bigger picture here.

when you play on/ go over the edge all the time ... where is the edge ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The ultimate paradox.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    dude was such a legend, just a beast of a skier.
    such a sad story. I never like seeing a wild animal caged.
    I hope he can find the help he needs and peace.
    I also hope that the families involved are able to find peace as well.

here's some footage of dean doing what he did best, which was pioneering steep lines in AK

The article addresses dean's mental health issues and documents his rise and fall well.

I wish the author would have addressed mental issues in skiing communities more broadly but that's probably better suited for an article by itself altogether. I think Dean's story strikes a nerv with a lot of us, myself included, as skiing is therapeutic for many and in my experience, mental health issues are pretty rampant in mountain towns. The data supports this, suicide rates are typically pretty high in mountain towns. I know when I worked at Steamboat, part of orientation was talking about the area's suicide problem (at the time Routt County had the highest suicide rates in all of Colorado). This really wasn't the premise of the article so i don't think there was a disservice by the author but it would certainly be something worth exploring. And I think that's the bigger picture here.
    Its funny so many folks get all caught up in stiff boots and what they "need" to ski hard. If you saw the boots Dean did that line in you'd shit yourself. 2 buckles. and a voile strap....Can recall brand but I want to say scarpa. I asked him specifically about it and he just said thats what he liked. Kinda like handing Tiger a persimmon wood set, his likely going to kick your ass anyway...its the skier not the equipment.

He also brought back something to me I had long forgotten from the skinny ski days. Even with his own ski line being fat, he still love to porpoise turns, like the old days. He designed his ski around that premise and they shined when you skied deep powder in the front and "jumped" into your turns.
    Guy was really something special if you ask me. An interesting personality. As many have said I hope he finds solace/peace and all that.

I’ve got a story developing in my brain about mental illness and addiction in our industry...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

People with issues fit into and can hide somewhat in the extreme sports

I had a paddler bud go over the edge, went to visit him in the pysche ward, he was writing stories and breathing hard just sitting there in front of me

his nickname was crazy bob and we always laughed & made jokes about what crazy bob did, could be channeling a guy named guido on a paddling trip or laughing all nigh in his sleep or paddling thru the middle of every hole on a more sporty run

after that we couldnt call him crazy bob

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Its funny so many folks get all caught up in stiff boots and what they "need" to ski hard. If you saw the boots Dean did that line in you'd shit yourself. 2 buckles. and a voile strap....Can recall brand but I want to say scarpa. I asked him specifically about it and he just said thats what he liked. Kinda like handing Tiger a persimmon wood set, his likely going to kick your ass anyway...its the skier not the equipment.

He also brought back something to me I had long forgotten from the skinny ski days. Even with his own ski line being fat, he still love to porpoise turns, like the old days. He designed his ski around that premise and they shined when you skied deep powder in the front and "jumped" into your turns.
    Guy was really something special if you ask me. An interesting personality. As many have said I hope he finds solace/peace and all that.
    Re: boots -- If most ppl, skiing within their ability, were riding helis to the best snow in the chugach, I think they might be ok with 2 buckles and a voile strap.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I’ve got a story developing in my brain about mental illness and addiction in our industry...
    Shit runs deep in skiing. Someone should do something to bring it to the surface more. I think you’d be a great one to do it Mikey!

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Re: boots -- If most ppl, skiing within their ability, were riding helis to the best snow in the chugach, I think they might be ok with 2 buckles and a voile strap.
    what about charging those same boots inbounds during low tide at Alta? Or Jackson Hole? Cmon man....i been skiing a long time, in no way, unless forced, would anyone on this board likely ski the boots he was skiing...maybe a skimo guy....super light, minimal...maybe 95flex...no bullshit, i held them in my damned hands and watched the guy chew up Alta on em..Had nothing to do with the snow and heli drops...he was just a balanced, strong skier.

The thread and articles about the Rocky mountain suicide belt probably are worth reading if you do.

there’s a thread about it?

there’s a thread about it?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=302468 there are some good thoughts in there, a few other suicide/depression threads brought it up but had a much higher bullshit to quality thought ratio.

thanks

That’s my brother Marc’s magazine, he’s the main man at Mountain
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    "The only people who really know where the edge is are the ones who have gone over."

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    There's also the idea that people who are struggling with mental illness are attracted to "end of the road" places. Sometimes they are running away from somewhere/somebody. Or they have fantasies that everything will get better once they arrive at some far off remote place that they attribute some special meaning to.
    AK is FULL of said seekers

Dean was not the only struggler in Valdez

At 3:48 ...
    On raichles

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    So are the nooks and crannies of northern NM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    So are the nooks and crannies of northern NM.
    Hmmm, story of my life.