Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Cool ^^ I just finished fixing the undermined edges of the cork soles on some birkenstocks

Also its paddling/ rescuecourse season as the rivers open up so i was fixing dry suits last week
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thank you for the tutorial XXX-er. I got a bit overzealous picking up my freshly tuned skis with my FTP mitts on and gave myself a repair opportunity. I pulled the Aquaseal out of the freezer (had fixed a hiking shoe previously), warmed it, peeled back the slice with a toothpick and placed AQS in with another toothpick. I’m happy with the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E0D0607-330C-4F74-9C69-A15DC136AA03.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	840.5 KB 
ID:	410598

sounds like you did it right, It looks like you also put something over the AQS while it cured to give the fairly smooth finish

every out door person should have a tube of AQS to fix their stuff
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-24-2022 at 09:44 AM.

I used the recommended plastic bag for this.

Fix your own fucking gear with Aqua seal eh

My tent says 40D silicone polyester on the website for the floor.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/produ...SABEgKrp_D_BwE

There are some abrasions that let light through but it’s not a full breach. I think I can paint over them with some adhesive and call it good.

Am I right to think I should get the seam grip +sil or will regular AQS work? Silicone caulk from Lowe’s?

Also, can I dilute it with everclear? I don’t have a need for a pint of toxic mineral spirits. I only need maybe an ounce of total solution and probably apply 1/10th of that.

Also my rain jacket is the same material as the tent so if I have extra proper adhesive it could be handy.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I can confirm that regular AS does not stick to silicon treated tents, but the +sil version works great. Not sure how to cut it. I'd just go full strength.

Regular 100% silicone caulk sticks to sil poly/nylon. Dilution with mineral spirits is great for seam sealing so that it spreads nicely, but you can use it full strength too. It will just be gloppy.

Mineral spirits is necessary for deep cleaning bike chains prior to applying queso, so you'd be all set for that.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I can tell you aqs/ shoogoo/ seam grip are all just liquid ureathane made by Gear aid in various consistencies depending on app but I got no idea what your situation requires, so maybe post up whatever you do

mineral spirits AKA white gas does an amazing job of cleaning a chain, every speck of dirt or grease will be gone

Would you trust a DIY AQS re-sole or send them to a pro?
    About a mile away from the truck I was schwacking a bit and noticed the sole separating at the toe of one of my boots, just as I got back to the truck the other oneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	boot2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	935.9 KB 
ID:	438957 came completely off

well a boot maker is just going to glue it so the question IS what does he glue it with ?

I would try either a solvent based contact cement or AQS, the contact cement will stick on contact , AQS would have to be clamped 24 hrs

edit: I've often wondered how one of those super duty construction adhesives would work out for a boot sole ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-19-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Barge rubber cement is what many cobblers use.

I fixed my old Crispi leather tour boots years ago with silicone construction adhesive when they had a similar failure and got a few more years out of them.

You will need to clean off ALL of the old glue on both surfaces for best results with what ever you use.
    watch out for snakes

Got some patagucci 3L untracked pants for free from a buddy (woot woot!). They are a bit long. Can I just cut them, fold the seam inside and glue it with AquaSeal? Has anyone done something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    Got some patagucci 3L untracked pants for free from a buddy (woot woot!). They are a bit long. Can I just cut them, fold the seam inside and glue it with AquaSeal? Has anyone done something similar?
    I’ve done this. Works fine. Depending on how much length you take off, you might end up with funny-looking short scuff guards.

Should be fine, you might wana iron to get the material laying down the aqs goes on the inside, I would clamp overnight to get the seam laying nice, you might have to do it in a couple of apps but the cuff of a pant is not where your worry about the finish

Thanks for your advice XXX-er and Jongle!

I glued the hem of my 3L hardshell pants, now. It was my first time working with AS but I think it went well. I used the accelerator that came with the package and it was cured in 2 hours. Pretty impressive. Still, I let it sit for 8 hours with some clamps and lots of heavy books on top of it. I think it turned out decent, from the outside you wouldn't know. Let's see how it holds up.

STOKED!

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	445909

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	445910

Nicely done.
    watch out for snakes

Ok so if you put the rest of the tube in the freezer in a jar it might be ok for the next repair

Reattaching a touring sole that's starting to detach (newish boots, this is from repeated application of heat for punching).

Aquaseal? G flex? or something else?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

T-nuts & screws if no luck with adhesives?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Reattaching a touring sole that's starting to detach (newish boots, this is from repeated application of heat for punching).

Aquaseal? G flex? or something else?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I think they recommend barge cement for boot soles and apparently there are different kinds

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think they recommend barge cement for boot soles and apparently there are different kinds
    It is hard to get the "good" extra-stinky Barge cement these days, especially in hobbyist quantities since they only sell the big jugs that cobblers use. But that's what you want for solid repairs on things like boot soles and climbing shoes.

But there are some ebay sellers that will decant small quantities from big bottles of the "Original" for close to the price of the tubes of the toulene-free version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35303740546...AAOSweateiido&

Dear Doctor Aquaseal,

Hard to believe, but Djongo broke my bong !

I think a proper bong repair should include Aquaseal eh, but Djongo wants to use spray-on Plasti-dip.

Tomorrow is 4/20 and we will be celebrating the holiday with skifishbum, so a proper repair is mandatory for the expected industrial scale bong usage.

~Harry
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Too funny. Non ski related post of the year contender.

In the 80’s Shoe Goo was my go to for bong repair…

I'm a gummy guy myself now days But an AQS type product might work