Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I got this Arcterxy beta shell close to 20 yrs ago I always loved the color of this piece, some fixes are different or better than others, i have learned to make some changes in the fix process its been a learning thing. I sent it into arcterxy once for a new front zipper but then the rips and holes arcterxy was not gona cover, the pockets maybe but at this point its pretty old the cuffs are starting to fray so it doesnt owe me anything ... I got a new Beta

So there is a hole under this patch on my right arm from tagging a tree, most of the holes you make will be between elbow & shoulder so in this case a cool patch disguises the result of a poor ski line, so I fixed it from the inside and glued a patch over it, the GF had some of these and i liked the color on the molten beta shell but I got in shit for taking this patch form the club stash becuz the GF pointed out ... I had not earned the badge but I was pretty satisfyed with my self on this fix

Name:  fastrabbit.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  88.3 KB

then I week later I did this one ... pride goeth before the fall, eh

its a great big fucking rip, 5&1/2 inches at about the same place but on the left arm, so the rip goes from the left side to where the flag covers it to the right where i have run out of flag. This pict is good for showing what a fix will look like when you tape the outside and AQS the inside, notice the right side where the AQS fix is bleeding thru that the flag didnt cover becuse this was such a big fucking hit but I chose to offset the flag so that part is at the back of my arm so you don't notice it but this is so visible becuz its black on red, if you have a darker colored shell you don't notice a fix at all

Name:  betaflagfix.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  57.4 KB

this is the heat sealed pocket seam on the inside of the Beta, I think I did not let his side go as far sonot too much to fix and so this fix looks pretty just a little bit of AQS sneaking out of that horizontal seam ... pretty fucking good fix
    Name:  nicepocketfix.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  94.9 KB

I think this one got left too long so to get it done I had to glue it, covered with some dryer sheet, saran wrap which has left some bits in the finish, doesnt look as good but fucntionaly its fine and its on the inside so nobody sees it
    Name:  betapocketfix.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  96.0 KB

the back side of the flag fix, i didn't use backing or a piece of plastic (should have ) probably becuz i was gona use the flag to cover the big boo boo
    Name:  flagbacking.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  76.7 KB

dryer sheet on the back of the rabbit patch, nowdays I would probably not use the backing just glue that patch right on the hole, it doesnt matter cuz you ain't gona see this
    Name:  rabbitbacking.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  104.5 KB
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-28-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

so there are probably more than a few dentists who own boot gloves on TGR, do you let them get all fucked up and buy new ones or do you fix em ?

As you can see AQS worked pretty good on both the neoprene and the naugahyde patch, I slathered it on and covered with some plastic bag

If you fuck up the neoprene to the point it would seem hopeless it is possible to glue the cut edges of neoprene together with solvent based contact cement and then I would slather on the AQS for protection from the edge cuts

Name:  bootglove1.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  bootglovefix.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  78.1 KB

For boot gloves I take old webbing from packs or swag boot carriers and sew it on. Looks a bit ghetto but more wear resistant than original.

But have used AQS to glue on knee pads to chainsaw chaps. And just plain shoe goo to leather gloves.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

yeah I've also used AQS to fix face fabric on chainsaw chaps, liquid ureathane seems to stick to any thing no matter how oil soaked, I usually use some old wrestling pads under the chaps for kneeling in the cut block and just bumping into downed trees

And yeah AQS can easily double the life of a bike or ski glove

not much that seam grip and/or a speedy stitcher can't fix

Well there is no way around fixing buttons or loose webbing but like I i have been saying, all the stuff I fixed in these 2 pages was done WITHOUT any stitching

BTW velcro patches which are stitched on by the mfger can easily be glued on

I will put a postit note on the fridge or workbench with several things that are in need of fixing and then I fix as many things as possible when i thaw out the tube

yeah but the speedy stitcher is so easy, and not everything needs a big gob of glue

well if you read any of the last 2 pages I been atempting to show folks how to manage the glue so they don't end up with a big fugly glob of glue and this is done by using use less glue and covering the area with a piece of plastic bag until it cures

if you end up with a big glob of glue it means you used too much glue

if you wana start a "fix your own fucking gear with a big glob of glue " have at er

eh

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I gotta hand it to you xxx-er. The dryer sheet is like black belt AQS work. It's giving me some ideas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

so this is the shit that IS tricky, this is what they show me the money for

Here is a neck seal replacement which is tricky becuz you are gluing a stretchy latex neckseal to a gortex suit which is not stretchy SO you gotta stretch the neck seal to fit the suit openning on a hard form between the suit and the seal, hold it all togetehr with masking tape long enough to cure ... you need the mad skillz
    Name:  replacingneckseal.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  65.0 KB

Variation on the above this is the retro fitting of a latex neck seal to a suit that had been designed with a neoprene neck seal which didn't work for very long before ripping out, so we had 12 suits from this company all with torn neoprene neck seals some only lasting 4 days, it was an obvious design flaw but the MFGer was unwilling to do anything. With a little head scratching I cut the old neoprene seal out and figured out how to glue in the Latex seal saving the owner like 12K so he is pretty happy and we won't be buying any more suits from those assholes, some of the shit you see these suit makers design you swear they musta been on acid
    Name:  necksealretro4stholquist.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  64.9 KB

patches glued inside a dry suit where the the swimmer tagged a rock during our SWR course, a pretty easy fix
    Name:  drysuitpatch.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  63.0 KB

In addition to fixing the holes, replacing the seals, I pressure test the suits by blowing them up with a big raft pump, 303 protectant on the latex seals, lube the metal zippers with wax

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Here is a neck seal replacement which is tricky...
    Agreed. Neck gasket and wrist gasket replacements were probably my first introduction to AQS and they are a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

XXX-er: You are like the dirt bag saint sent here to extend the collectives gear lives. Which of course, translates into more beer money.

Look me up when in the Philadelphia area and I’ll gladly put a few on my tab to show my gratitude.

Don’t huff too much toluene in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I should be dead from all the trichlorathane I huffed while fixing typewriters back in the day but i seem to be impervious, the boss is threatening to put a fume hood in the new shop

back when i was a telewanker I used to slather AQS on the bellows of T3 and T1 to protect them from edge cuts

it did stick to pebex altho it needed to be redone a couple times a season so it was a maintenance thing

AQS protected the bellows from ski cuts but it couldn't protect telemarking from modern bindings

Using shoe goo to attach the patches to my kid's boy scout sash and uniform now. Way easier than ironing or sewing and holds up fine to the rigors of scouting.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

What I am trying to show you is managing the AQS after its on your piece with a piece of plastic bag , if you don't cover/manage the AQS you will end up with an ugly big glob
    Another handy trick for handling AQS is saliva. A little spit on the finger allows a person to manipulate, smooth, and excite the AQS without it sticking to your finger. As in other things, repeated application may be necessary for the bigger jobs. Den

Saliva also works on vaginas. AQS does not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I recommned something ribbed for pleasure

Spit is gona let you move AQS around without it sticking to your finger BUT the stuff takes hrs to cure and you have to keep it in place during that curing process so how do you keep it in place ?

AQS is so tenacious that it will even stick to a ski boot, in this app I wanted a big glob in a specific place so I would make a little dam out of tape to hold the AQS in place while it cured, this is pretty scraped up right now and I havent redone it cuz I don't really telemark anymore

Name:  bootglue.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  94.4 KB

Used shoe goo to fix a jersey after a crash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0921.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	284817
    Thanks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Spit is gona let you move AQS around without it sticking to your finger BUT the stuff takes hrs to cure and you have to keep it in place during that curing process so how do you keep it in place ?
    I try to not leave enough AQS to flow. I have discovered that AQS (now marketed as Aquaseal+FD) is extremely tough and requires a very thin coverage. I have also discovered that a couple thin layers work better than a thick layer. In most of my uses the first layer is usually Seam Seal ( now marketed as Seam Grip+WP) and this is usually applied as thin as possible, with no chance of flowing, followed by a thin layer of AQS after it has cured. Most of this type applications are for wet suit, dry suit, and work gloves. The thin layers helps to protect dexterity. This method also works for Xtra-Tough boots and waders. If I need a slightly thicker layer I do indeed rely on gravity, tape dams, and coming back periodically to wet finger it back in place, to keep it where it is needed. I will be giving the plastic wrap a test drive and appreciate the tip. Den

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Saliva also works on vaginas. AQS does not.
    How you discovered this I find slightly disturbing, but I must admit when it comes to most things, exploring one's boundary can be enlightening. Den

The secret which you have already discovered is to use less product and you can always do another layer, instead of ending up with a big fugly/globby repair

IME no matter how thin you try to apply, left on a flat surface liquid ureathane is SELF LEVELING and cures with a smoove shinny surface, which is why i use the plastic to control it

but I would suggest trying a thin plastic bag instead of Saran wrap because the Saran wrap always ends up stuck in the dry AQS which looks shitty but IME a thin plastic bag will be strong enough to be pulled out of the AQS and not end up stuck in your repair

SO a tip to deal with the surface finish, if you want a matte finish on product that has dried shinny just rub it with a little bit of AQS on a rag, leave it to cure and the surface will be matte

here is the remains of a very old fix on a pair of now dead Blundstones, you can see the 1" long old cut in the toe I did when it was still a nice shoe, fairly deep but not thru the leather, so I dabbed a little AQS in the bottom of the cut with a toothpick and taped it shut edges together with masking tape, after about 8 hrs it was partialy cured/sticky enough that so pushing the edges together they did stick, wipe away any excess with acetone or tolulene and at the time it wasnt perfect but actualy looked ok to pretty good and all these years later its still there

Name:  toecut.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  91.1 KB

I put a ski pole tip gash in the toe of a leather tele boot way back in the day it was not thru but nasty looking, so a little AQS in the hole, let it mostly cure, push it around a bit with my thumb to level which filled the hole and also left the finish matte, it looked pretty good definatley way better than a big hole
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-06-2019 at 01:04 PM.

AQS is great for lots of repairs. When I need something more rubberized and a little stiffer, I've been using Sugru, which is pretty cool stuff. Goes on like a soft putty, hardens into a firm but flexible silicone rubber, and bonds to just about anything.

I heard of Sugru but have never used it, googling I can see it would work well on things AQS doesn't work well for

as in its a moldable rubber so the apps look like you use it to put rubber on something hard

whereas in almost every fix in the last 2 pages AQS was used to very permanently fix or join something flexible

I duno if i would try it on a dry suit ?

also wonder about price if i have to use a lot of the stuff ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-06-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Sugru on a drysuit; like you said, better for things that you want a little flexibility in to prevent cracking, but don't want too much. Like, I lost an earbud cover for an oddly shaped set of headphones and used Sugru to mold a new one. I used it to add bumps to stereo buttons that I use a lot so I can find them easily in dim light. Etc.