Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    still you got me intrigued about Sugru and I will probably try some but likely not for any app I have already written about in these 2 pages
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My project today is to fix my leaky Patagonia waders. Way back when I bought them included in the box was a tube of Patty-branded AQS. I hope this stuff is still good. Waders and goo tube are both approx 20 years old. Will report back later...
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

After reading the GearAid comparisons of their sealants, I'm giving Seam Grip & a cut up mattress patch for extra reinforcing a go to repair a tear in my OR Trailbreakers. I hope it works. The smell brings back model airplane/glue sniffing memories. The process also reminds be of using liquid bandage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7943.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	305486

I might leave the painter's tape on for a few outings :

Name:	IMG_7949.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	305475

Inside view:

Name:	IMG_7950.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	305477

Test fit of patch strips:

Name:	IMG_7952.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	305478

Applying the sealant:

Name:	IMG_7953.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	305479

Applied and burnished strips curing:

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	305480

Has anyone simply tried using Tenacious Tape on this type of repair?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I have done a similar repair only using aquaseal on my old Moonstone gortex pants that got ripped by barbed wire fence.

I taped the outside with duct tape and applied aquaseal on the inside and laying on flat surface. Let cure over night, peel off the tape next day.

It held for years until I got too fat to wear the pants any more.
    watch out for snakes

I had an internal pocket seam come apart on a pair of trew 3L pants. Aquaseal'd it with saran wrap backer and its held fine for over a season, even with keeping my keys in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    After reading the GearAid comparisons of their sealants, I'm giving Seam Grip & a cut up mattress patch for extra reinforcing a go to repair a tear in my OR Trailbreakers. I hope it works. The smell brings back model airplane/glue sniffing memories.

Has anyone simply tried using Tenacious Tape on this type of repair?
    looks OK, your fix will be cured overnight

I find what Tenacious tape is great for is puffy jackets that are shedding feathers, but its really just clear tape with ok stick but I don't think it will be PERMANENT

Whereas AQS will be stuck forever to whatever you put it on

Thanks XXXer! This repair feels pretty bomber:

Name:	IMG_7962.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	305573
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Didn't wade through the entire thing but AQs and its relatives are $$$,

Using a pair of Merrill light hikers that the toe rubber came off from the fabric. $ 100 shoes that had lotta life left.

I bought a tube, put the tube in hot water to get it flowy, cleaned the rubber and fabric and applied the AQs. Once I had it where I wanted it, cover the area with a sandwich bag and put some weight on it and let dry. Once dry the sandwich bag peels right off. Made the repair in June, still going strong and will outlast the rest of those crappy shoes.

Great thread.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thats cuz it IS totally bomber and you didn't have to sew a fucking thing eh

everyone should have a tube of this stuff on the go for repairs, once its been open AQS will store in the freezer in a sealed glass jar for at least a year, when you wana use it just put it in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and yer good to go

everyone should have a tube of this stuff on the go for repairs, once its been open AQS will store in the freezer in a sealed glass jar for at least a year, when you wana use it just put it in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and yer good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Didn't wade through the entire thing but AQs and its relatives are $$$,

Great thread.
    The thread is a tutorial on everything I know about how to use AQS, as the gear repair guy at a large rescue 3 provider I work on hundreds of dry suits a year, I will go thru a couple of 8oz tubes a year ...you may want to read the whole thing and learn shit

Great thread here guys! I’m on a few repairs today and stoked to see the success.

Tenacious tape = field repair
    My experience is that it will start cracking in the cold after a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    AQS is great for lots of repairs. When I need something more rubberized and a little stiffer, I've been using Sugru, which is pretty cool stuff. Goes on like a soft putty, hardens into a firm but flexible silicone rubber, and bonds to just about anything.
    Awesome. I've been thinking about looking for something like this for a while now. Like u said, the create little bumps on various items. 'puter keyboard keys like volume buttons for easy brailing when fumbling with computer in the dark, a bigger bump on the Smith fan goggle on/off switch for better tactile feel with gloves on, automotive remote buttons, etc...

How's the durability?

Edit; the stuff's kindof expensive. Just googled substitutes and found a home made hack. Just silicone and corn starch. Noted this caveat though...maybe it'll stick better with aggressive scoring and sterilization of target bonding surfaces? "On a few things like some plastics and metals, it will easily peel off after it has cured."

Sounds too good to be true but for what it's worth:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ru-Substitute/
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Were the patch strips helpful for this repair or pointless? Seems like your steel wool in epoxy hack, having a
    'reinforcing/bonding' component can't hurt and might help, eh?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Great thread here guys! I’m on a few repairs today and stoked to see the success.

Tenacious tape = field repair
    My experience is that it will start cracking in the cold after a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Tenacious tape on the big holes in puffy jackets, for the small holes hit them with Matt finish clear mail polish, a quick n easy repair

The danger is if you leave the bottle around and your wife or GF asks who does this belong to ?

Were the patch strips helpful for this repair or pointless? Seems like your steel wool in epoxy hack, having a
    'reinforcing/bonding' component can't hurt and might help, eh?

backing is never pointless but it might be so thick it alters the feel of the repaired area, in that respect I can't really tell how thick/stiff is the backing material you used

I like the spent fabric softener sheets from the dryer because it can be rescued from the laundry room garbage can, its very strong but with a really soft feel, you can squeegee the AQS right thru it, put a piece of plastic bag over the area and roll it flat

another good backing material would be super thin nylon, like the really thin nylon that running shorts are often made of

sometimes you can go with out backing like i did on page 1 to repair super thin gortex pants, to do that you would tape the outside, squeeze on some AQS, cover with plastic bag, roll it out flat and let cure

and just to clarify I don't use steel wool with epoxy to fix spinners, I chop up FG cloth into 1/2 " lengths and mix it with enough epoxy to wet out the FG but not be too resin rich becuz resin alone is not as strong

The thread is a tutorial on everything I know about how to use AQS, as the gear repair guy at a large rescue 3 provider I work on hundreds of dry suits a year, I will go thru a couple of 8oz tubes a year ...you may want to read the whole thing and learn shit
    Thanks, maybe I will but I have been doing dry suit gasket repairs since the mid-80s as well as other uses for AQs. Not like this is rocket surgery.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    Thanks, maybe I will but I have been doing dry suit gasket repairs since the mid-80s as well as other uses for AQs. Not like this is rocket surgery.

When the "how do I fix this" question has somebody suggesting dental floss and bathtub sealer I thot it was time for the repair thread, no its not rocket biology but there are tricks, things to not do, better ways to use AQS, so if you got ideas share them with the class eh

last week I glued in half a doz neck seals, a few socks some wrist seals and patched the crotch in an ice suit ... my cock is bigger than your cock eh

backing is never pointless but it might be so thick it alters the feel of the repaired area, in that respect I can't really tell how thick/stiff is the backing material you used

I like the spent fabric softener sheets from the dryer because it can be rescued from the laundry room garbage can, its very strong but with a really soft feel, you can squeegee the AQS right thru it, put a piece of plastic bag over the area and roll it flat

another good backing material would be super thin nylon, like the really thin nylon that running shorts are often made of

sometimes you can go with out backing like i did on page 1 to repair super thin gortex pants, to do that you would tape the outside, squeeze on some AQS, cover with plastic bag, roll it out flat and let cure

and just to clarify I don't use steel wool with epoxy to fix spinners, I chop up FG cloth into 1/2 " lengths and mix it with enough epoxy to wet out the FG but not be too resin rich becuz resin alone is not as strong
    The strips were thin nylon mattress patches.

My bad on the steel wool. Have you used silca/glass beads (or whatever it's called per Gflex & golf shaft replacements) with epoxy as a thickener?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

The strips were thin nylon mattress patches.

My bad on the steel wool. Have you used silca/glass beads (or whatever it's called per Gflex & golf shaft replacements) with epoxy as a thickener?
    steel wool would probably work but then if it wasn't completely encased in the epoxy I assume it would rust which doesn't seem like the best idea, I had some FG cloth kicking around so thats what I used, not sure about how strong/ the structure silica/glass beads would give to a ski ??

Half of my HW gig in another life was fixing stuff in remote places so when I need to fix something I look around me for whats available, it could be paper clips/ staples/cut up spare parts from a different piece of HW whatever gets me out the door, which is how I end up using the dryer sheets on soft repairs, cutup 1/2" FG strands/epoxy to fix spinners in skis, BBQ skewers to plug binding holes, sometimes I will just wander around a HW store looking for stuff that I can alter to fix something else

Props to the tutorial. Feels natural to AQS.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

The Aquawoo is strong with this thread.
    watch out for snakes

XXXer (or anyone who knows first hand): does AQS stick to "disposable" shopping bags (UHMW, IMS) or do they peel like the sandwich bags? TIA

Never tried them so not sure

Hey XXX-er; ever use a glue gun to repair cuts in jackets/pants?

Had to perform emergency surgery up in bell 2 and all i had on hand was glue gun with gorilla glue gun sticks.

Hasty hack job before heading out the door. Globbed it on too thick. 9 days of ski touring later and it's looking day one fresh...and it's somewhat flexible in cold temps. Wonder if it's gonna hold?

Name:  P1120276.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  174.2 KB
    Master of mediocrity.