Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I been telling ever one for 5 pages that this shit is bomber for repairs so if you do it right why would it not be ?

The Fire Dept's and SAR orgs have been busy out doing training and fucking up their dry suits so I'm getting lotsa work just about every week
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have a pretty ugly patch on my raft that was done by the former owner, it it always had a slow leak and after a couple days it would need to be topped off. It would need some extensive work to repair properly so I never replaced it but I was able to slow the leak then stop it with Aquaseal by putting a shopvac on the valve and sucking Aquaseal into the leak. it's been good for 14? years.
    it's the red/black NRS on the trailer
    Name:  raft stack.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  99.6 KB

Thats impressive length of time for any repair patch.
    watch out for snakes

I don't know when the original repair was done (somebody backed into it with a hot tailpipe) but it's a '94 and that was the only leak in the tubes. the floor has a few repairs though (nothing more than pinholes).

thats a pretty impressive showing for AQS cuz I don't think its what is recommended for repairing rafts, I don't know much about rafts and I have never done any repairs on them

Is that Booners chick in the red?
    watch out for snakes

OK so i imagine the birky wearing dentists on this forum bill so much $$$ they can afford to just thro them out after one wearing BUT if the stocks are in the tiolet so you need to deal with the breakdown of the cork try AQS

this pair is maybe 10 yrs old, used almost exclusively in the house, the places that birkys breakdown are around the edges of the sole and the sole cracks under the ball of the foot

you can see where i slathered AQS around the edges to fix the cork breaking down quite a while ago and I jammed some under the ball of the foot which you can't really see

you can buy a specific latex glue product from birky to slatehr on the sides of the cork when it breaks down, which looks nice as new but AQS works pretty good (this pict is of an old application ) and I think AQS would be better to fix the broken sole under the ball of the foot problem

Name:  birkyfix.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  62.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    OK so i imagine the birky wearing dentists on this forum bill so much $$$ they can afford to just thro them out after one wearing BUT if the stocks are in the tiolet so you need to deal with the breakdown of the cork try AQS

this pair is maybe 10 yrs old, used almost exclusively in the house, the places that birkys breakdown are around the edges of the sole and the sole cracks under the ball of the foot

you can see where i slathered AQS around the edges to fix the cork breaking down quite a while ago and I jammed some under the ball of the foot which you can't really see

you can buy a specific latex glue product from birky to slatehr on the sides of the cork when it breaks down, which looks nice as new but AQS works pretty good (this pict is of an old application ) and I think AQS would be better to fix the broken sole under the ball of the foot problem

Name:  birkyfix.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  62.2 KB
    Well hot damn, I’m no dentist but I was gifted some a year ago and I just noticed them separating at that flex point. AQS time no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This thread is great... I AQS'd the hell out of some beat up bibs (after some unsuccessful hack-job sewing attempts) and now should live on. Ditto an old pack that was just taped up.
    Sorta related - any suggestions to truly waterproof the front thighs and butt sections of said old bibs? They're beyond the wash-in stuff. I don't care about breathing. Just want those spots to stay dry!

other than grangers/ nikwax / revivex spray treatment not really

if its cold enough the snow won't melt as much so it will matter less

True. I came across some tectron water repellant spray in a cabinet that someone in the fam mustve bought. Gonna hammer em with that. Maybe spray-on more effective that the wash-in, which I never felt did much

I'm a spray-on Fanboi myself, wash the pants twice, the second time without soap, spray while still wet, look out for where the over-spray drips

So, XXX, a seam has tore on a pair of my wading boots. It’s a pain to sew, and I thought I should ram a bunch of aqua seal on it, and clamp it. It’s kinda a mesh-like fabric, with some stretch nylon backing. Advice?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

In the last 6 pages you should have noted that I never sew anything

the fix is almost always the same, tape the outside togetehr careful as you can with masking tape which probably won't affect strength but makes it look better, which is more important for ski gear probably not so much on waders

AQS on the inside, maybe some backing material so i often use dryer sheets or some light nylon, put a piece of plastic bag over it and some weight or clamp it and leave over night

if you posted a picture i could give an exact recomendation

I think your advice on this still holds true. Looks do not matter on this fix.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have three 1inch long rips on the side of a coat from flying across some rocks. The rips did not make it through to the inner layer, so taping the outside and then sealing from the inside is not an option. Would you guys recommend aquaseal this from the outside or just deal with flex tape and replacing it every so often? Looks aren't really a concern, I'm just looking for a better option than the typical duct tape.

so it sounds like the coat is lined and you can't get at the inside ?

you could AQS it on the outside, put a piece of plastic bag over the aqs and put something heavy on the plastic during the cure, the fix will proabbly end up with a nice smooth finish

if you feel like getting anal, maybe do tenacious tape from the inside?
    meaning: from the outside, apply it to the inside surface of the outer layer & close it up carefully to end with a hairline joint in the surface fabric
    then, with a toothpick as a brush, apply a really thin line of aqs to finish it (or not)

yeah you could cut the insulating inner layer, tape the outside and AQS the inside of the outer layer

but he sez he doesnt care and just wants something > ductape is how I read it

bumping this thread because i just fixed some ultralight skimo mitts that i had sliced a number of times (picking up skis like a dumbass) with aqua seal, and the repair is great. worlds better than if i had used gearaid tape. thanks all for the wisdom here!

Recently revived a pair of completely trashed gloves with aquaseal, very impressed. And I salvaged an inflatable camping mat which has resisted my every attempt at making it leak proof. T
    The stuff is like god's jizz, there's no problem it can't fix
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

AQS, amazing goop are urethane based. How is that different than polyurethane like PL, and gorilla original? That stuff behaves very differently. It gets all foamy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

recently...

repaired some slices in leather gloves from too-sharp-edges
    reglued the entire waste band on a jacket (the part that the stretchy cord runs through)
    repaired some yellow work gloves where the finger seam was unraveling
    countless down puffy patches

agree it is god's jizz

you ^^ got this, now store the rest of the tube in the freezer in a sealed jar

Thanks for this thread XXX-er, fixed a torn outer shell jacket. Also warrantied it through BC, double win!