Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Melted a puffy jacket on my camper furnace exhaust.

Sewed ripstop patches and sealed the seams with fucking aquaseal, eh.

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200120_205942.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	312077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200120_205948.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	312078

looks vaugley phallic

next year all of the Arcterxy puffy's will come with that pattern
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

.Name:  20200123_205941.jpeg
Views: 1190
Size:  8.0 KB

So...i fell on a beaver punji stick while fishing today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4655.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	332168

Kinda lucky i don’t have another poopshoot now

I have some patch material that came with the waders...is this something aquaseal can secure & waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

I have some patch material that came with the waders...is this something aquaseal can secure & waterproof?
    "It was a million to one shot, doc."

I’ll have to take a look thru this thread. More annoying than anything else but it’s the 3rd or 4th Arc’teryx jacket this happened to and I’ve sealed it with AQS or shoe goo or something to limited success:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send that shit back to Arcteryx

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yup. They'll fix it right back up. It may take awhile... so send it now.

Patagonia isn’t accepting repairs during covfefe. Customer service rep recommended repairing with fabric patch on outside bedded in AS, extending the AS a little outside the perimeter of the fabric patch.
    Sounds messier looking than locating it on the inside, but they said it would wear better.
    Is Saran Wrap a decent bond breaker for the back side of the repair?
    Any tips on keeping it clean looking

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    yup what Tuco said ^^

GF had a Beta with that lower hem ductaped & a broken zipper, she didnt care cuz she found it in her shop, i told her i could get warranty so I sent it thru a retailer bud ... got a new shell.

techniocaly the ductape voids warranty but Arcteryx gave a new jacket anyway and they fixed the hip belt on my KEA 37 ski pack
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Patagonia isn’t accepting repairs during covfefe. Customer service rep recommended repairing with fabric patch on outside bedded in AS, extending the AS a little outside the perimeter of the fabric patch.
    Sounds messier looking than locating it on the inside, but they said it would wear better.
    Is Saran Wrap a decent bond breaker for the back side of the repair?
    Any tips on keeping it clean looking
    Inside/outside patch(like fixing a rip in an inflatable raft tube). Use seam tape from the inside, then AQS/patch on outside. Simply mask the around patch area. Don't over goop AQS, set patch, Saran over the top of that and weight it down till cured.

Thx!

Views:	114 
ID:	332168

what i would do with that ^^ is tape the edges very carefully togetehr on the OUTSIDE with masking tape, the nicer you line the egdes up the better it will look but on waders no biggy I assume

I wipe the area to be repaired with tolulene or acetone to remove body oils and then i would use the AQS on the INSIDE with some kind of backing material that I cut to overlap the hole by at least 1/2 inch on each side of the cut, I use light nylon or patch material from an old dry suit or I found dryer anti static sheets that have been thru the dryer work really well

then I would put a piece of plastic bag over the repair, put something heavy on the area to flatten out the AQS so you don't get a globby messy repair. I have used saran wrap in the past but it ends up stuck in the AQS when you try to pull it off so a plastic bag is preffered
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-22-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Also, yes you can use plastic on the inside for a backing as well. These repairs were made with homemade seam tape(dryer sheet wetted out w/ AQS). The fabric on these pants are toast. Still, the repairs bought me 4 years of hard abuse. No patch on the outside of the thigh patch and it's still wearing good. The repairs around the pockets are a different story.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200621_110435.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	332206

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what i would do with that ^^ is tape the edges very carefully togetehr on the OUTSIDE with masking tape, the nicer you line the egdes up the better it will look but on waders no biggy I assume

I wipe the area to be repaired with tolulene or acetone to remove body oils and then i would use the AQS on the INSIDE with some kind of backing material that I cut to overlap the hole by at least 1/2 inch on each side of the cut, I use light nylon or patch material from an old dry suit or I found dryer anti static sheets that have been thru the dryer work really well

then I would put a piece of plastic bag over the repair, put something heavy on the area to flatten out the AQS so you don't get a globby messy repair. I have used saran wrap in the past but it ends up stuck in the AQS when you try to pull it off so a plastic bag is preffered

I fixed literlay hundreds of drysuits for dirtbag paddle bros and now as the tech for a big Rescue 3 provider that teachs/ medical/ SWR/ rope resuce/ confined spaces rescue to industry and so whatever you teach you can also sell/service, the customers are swimming in the suits tagging rocks blowing latex seals and generaly using the equipment pretty hard

https://ravenrescue.com/about-us/our-staff/al-gamble

there are 2 of us in the dept ^^ that guy on my left is pretty sketchy eh
    For inside patch, your gonna need plastic bag behind AQS backing material or you very may well glue jacket layers together(waders probably one layer tho) And yes, plastic bag instead of saran.

yeah you don't wana glue your piece to itself but assuming I can get at the back of a repair ( I always can on 3 player gortex or coated nylon ) after taping the edges togetehr with masking tape I just turn the piece inside out and a suit has to be turned inside out to blow it up with a raft pump so the zippers will hold air

if you fix a piece by patching on the outside you get to see the big boo boo and all the smoo used to fix it and there is no practical advantage to an outside repair

if you fix a piece by patching on the inside all you see from the outside is a thin black line where a little AQS bleeds thru at the rip, if you did it right the egdes arent going to lift and if its a dark colored piece the repair might be almost invisable at a glance if you taped the edges together perfectly,

On your own ski gear how it looks might be more important to you, we must have 50 company owned drysuits on which i don't worry too much about how a repair looks so a patch might go inside or outside it doesnt matter, same with suits sent in for service by fire dept and SAR organizations, the looks are not important ... being water tight is

Tuco & xxx-er, thank you for the detailed info...much appreciated!
    My AS is old, so I went to find more today. Could not find it in 3 places...gonna call REI next. Maybe Amazon Prime. I did find Tenacious Tape, which I figure can be a backer to the AS primary. Overdoing it at the location seems reasonable since it’s high wear & lotta movement.

My AS is old, so I went to find more today. Could not find it in 3 places...gonna call REI next. Maybe Amazon Prime. I did find Tenacious Tape, which I figure can be a backer to the AS primary. Overdoing it at the location seems reasonable since it’s high wear & lotta movement.
    so your tube of Aqua seal dryed up and you are having trouble buying more ?

AQS, seam grip, seam sealer, freesole, shoo goo if you check the label you will find its all Liquid Ureathane sold in different consistencies for the app ... thicker for building up shoe soles or thinner for seamsealing

Liquid Ureathane lasts forever if you don't puncture the tube but once its open I store it in a sealed jar in the freezer, to thaw for use put the tube in a cup of boiling water for 10min

yeah, it was stored in the basement, dry & temp stable, but not freezer quality dry

Fix your own fucking gear with Aqua seal eh

Before

Views:	126 
ID:	332767

Here’s my Aquaseal fix
    Tenacious Tape on the inside
    Fabric patch bedded in Aquaseal on the outside
    (Non-matching fabric from old cabela’s waders...i hope the pata doesn’t reject the foreign fabric, lol...tho fuk em for not providing a little swatch for repairs)
    I used a book inside the waders to create a stable flat surface; then a plastic bag to isolate & another couple of heavy books on top

Name:	IMG_4671.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	332765

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	332766

that should be waterproof & permanent

How about repair sealing of hiking boots. Wife's toe seams not as good as once were and wants to add toe cap by AS. I was thinking using Goop as will be thick application and already have a big tube open.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Goop looks to be liquid ureathane but I haven't read anything to say it absolutely is for sure ??

but i can say AQS definatley sticks permanently to shoeleather and shoe soles, I have used it to seal boot seams, mitigate abrasions and holes in both leather and plastic from the telemarking days

if you got an open tube it will last longer in the freezer, put the tube in a sealed glass jar so the tolulene doesnt migrate to your food, thaw in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    My project today is to fix my leaky Patagonia waders. Way back when I bought them included in the box was a tube of Patty-branded AQS. I hope this stuff is still good. Waders and goo tube are both approx 20 years old. Will report back later...
    Update on my 1-year old post: repair has been solid, no more leaky waders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters