Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey XXX-er; ever use a glue gun to repair cuts in jackets/pants?

Hasty hack job before heading out the door.
    Is there any other kind ?!

I have never used hot glue to fix clothing but I would have taped the outside together and put the glue on the inside
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

hey XXX'er

Two weeks worth of testing out this experiment. Windstopper fleece gloves with multiple failed seams and holes from from wear in many finger tip contact points. Repaired/restored with the glue gun.

Works awesome...the firmer contact points provide better tactile feedback when buckling boots/fiddling with zippers and shit.

And the repair/restore was so efficient..no waiting for shoe goo to dry for example. Instant fix.

Name:  P1120310.JPG
Views: 2413
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  P1120309.JPG
Views: 2065
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  P1120312.JPG
Views: 1856
Size:  118.6 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

I use AQS to extend the life of gloves so maybe hot glue will also work but no experiance with that but would it have killed you to wait overnight for AQS to cure ?

in any case the name of the thread is " fix your own fucking gear with AQS eh " and so this thread is an attempt to put all the best practices of using liquid urethane in one spot so folks will then have info to do the best possible best looking permanent job

you should start a fix you onw gear with hot glue thread

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I use AQS to extend the life of gloves so maybe hot glue will also work but no experiance with that but would it have killed you to wait overnight for AQS to cure ?

in any case the name of the thread is " fix your own fucking gear with AQS eh " and so this thread is an attempt to put all the best practices of using liquid urethane in one spot so folks will then have info to do the best possible best looking permanent job

you should start a fix you onw gear with hot glue thread
    Waiting for urethane to cure/dry sux ballz....you gotta ensure curved surfaces stay flat, add layers which takes even more time, etc....

Just offering options for experimentation for those who are more open minded. No worries, I'll refrain from contaminating your aqs purist thread henceforth.
    Master of mediocrity.

So I'm going to take that as a " yes it would have killed me to wait for AQS to cure " so if you don't like curing AQS or AQS in general why are you writing in a thread devoted to the non-mediocre use of said product ?

In any case one deals with the curing process of AQS using plastic bags on curved or flat surfaces and BTW its in the 4 pages of this thread, i don't know if that would work with hot glue, i don't have a hot glue gun, maybe you want to try it yourslef or maybe you don't care ... I duno

In the past I have called something you offered me " half baked " which you didnt like, so if you put your own ideas in your own thread ... its yours
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-15-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Fix your own fucking gear with Aqua seal eh

This has escalated quickly.
    Very amusing exchanges gentlemen, thanks for the entertainment!
    If you need a ref for the cage fight, I’m available, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    This has escalated quickly.
    Very amusing exchanges gentlemen, thanks for the entertainment!
    If you need a ref for the cage fight, I’m available, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Swissiphic is tagging out and taking his hot glue gun ideas elsewhere. No ref required. lol. Long live AQS.
    Master of mediocrity.

I caint see it from my house.
    watch out for snakes

hey if anybody has a question or an idea for the use of AQS I'm interested so post away & I will help you do the best fix possible,
    If you don't like the stuff, if you have alternative ideas ... pick another avenue

Does py Tire sell an equivalent product? Maybe this stuff?:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...0348p.html#srp

My wife burned some holes in a puffy jacket. I saw some mentions for tenacious tape for that. What would be the best permanent AQS fix? Obviously only access from the outside. Tape the inside and close up, then AQS on the outside trying to be as neat as possible?

OR, I wonder if it would be possible to make an AQS "patch" and somehow get it on the inside, close up the tear edges over it, then masking tape the outside. Like plastic (keep from getting on feathers), drier sheet, AQS then maneuver it inside? Freeze it first to keep from sticking to everything, then heat it up once it's all taped on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Does py Tire sell an equivalent product? Maybe this stuff?:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...0348p.html#srp
    not sure what that stuff is

a fishing/hunting store will sell AQS to fix waders

you could also try walmart

shoo goo or freesole or seam seal is all the same product in different consistancies ... liquid ureathane
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-20-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    My wife burned some holes in a puffy jacket. I saw some mentions for tenacious tape for that. What would be the best permanent AQS fix? Obviously only access from the outside. Tape the inside and close up, then AQS on the outside trying to be as neat as possible?

OR, I wonder if it would be possible to make an AQS "patch" and somehow get it on the inside, close up the tear edges over it, then masking tape the outside. Like plastic (keep from getting on feathers), drier sheet, AQS then maneuver it inside? Freeze it first to keep from sticking to everything, then heat it up once it's all taped on the outside?
    Tenacious tape is good but its not very permanent, I have an elbow hole I have taped twice and it just keeps breaking at the elbow joint, I probably should have used AQS to begin with but at this point I will just keep taping it or glue a crest over the hole or sft, gluing a crest over holes works great BTW

if you got very small holes in a puffy that leak feathers dab a little clear nailpolich or liquid bandage over the hole will stop you from leaking

Fo big holes tape the inside with masking tape and AQS over the hole from the outside, I would use some masking tape, get it inside the hole with tweezers and stick the edges down so they are even, or for a bigger hole if you can color the backing with a sharpie it will be less noticable, not too much aqs over that, cover with some plastic, clamp or put weight on the area to get a smooth finish and it would be bomber for sure

here is a patch I did a number of years ago I think it was a spark hole on the collar of a Sierra Designs puffy about 1/2" long, its not one of my better finished jobs but it IS bomber, a piece of plastic and some weight would have made a better finish to the AQS but this pict is from before I learned that

Name:  puffyfix.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  54.4 KB

Tenacious tape is good but its not very permanent, I have an elbow hole I have taped twice and it just keeps breaking at the elbow joint, I probably should have used AQS to begin with but at this point I will just keep taping it or glue a crest over the hole or sft, gluing a crest over holes works great BTW

if you got very small holes in a puffy that leak feathers dab a little clear nailpolich or liquid bandage over the hole will stop you from leaking

Fo big holes tape the inside with masking tape and AQS over the hole from the outside, I would use some masking tape, get it inside the hole with tweezers and stick the edges down so they are even, or for a bigger hole if you can color the backing with a sharpie it will be less noticable, not too much aqs over that, cover with some plastic, clamp or put weight on the area to get a smooth finish and it would be bomber for sure

here is a patch I did a number of years ago I think it was a spark hole on the collar of a Sierra Designs puffy about 1/2" long, its not one of my better finished jobs but it IS bomber, a piece of plastic and some weight would have made a better finish to the AQS but this pict is from before I learned that
    So just looked closer. It’s right on a stitch line unfortunately so probably harder to get a good tape backing. Hmm. I know your thread is anti stitching, but thinking some fine black thread to pull it together then AQS to seal it up and give it a permanent bond. Plus being a burn we lost some material so no clean lines to tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7583.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	311605
    TGR Forums

yeah i also lost material on my pict above but not as much as you, that is a big fucking hole !

you could get tape in there to stick next to the seam, it only has to stick long enough to do the repair

another thing to consider is cut a piece of nylon material larger than the hole, get it lined up/flat behind the hole
    , apply the AQS cover with plastic and weight it down

Tried to fix my own fucking gear, but I didn't do a great job. Blew the crotch out in my Dakine bibs mid kick-turn. Warranty says I'll get a new pair in mid Feb. Needless to say, my repair didn't hold (lasted about 2 hours). Any suggestions on how to repair my repair? I was pretty liberal with my first application, knowing it would need to take on a lot of stress. Crotch seems like a tough spot...

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	311620

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	311622
    Original rip

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	311621
    Post repair rip

wow ! if you did that in a kickturn I gotta wonder if the bibs were too samll for you ?
    Duno what else you can do it looks like you did the right things,
    it looks like you used the dryer sheet backing ?
    crotch is a tough job, i sent a delamed crotch into arcterxy
    and fortunaltey they gave me a credit

These bibs have a weird tension in the crotch area - it appears they "fixed" this problem with this year's model by adding some stretch. We'll see come Feb as they are sending a new pair. I might just tape er up and call it extra ventilation for the next couple of weeks.

How's AQS working to fix deep scratches (not going all the way through) in leather? My FTP lobster gloves took a bit of a beating when I cratered into a stand of pines last week and got hung up on branches and I don't want them to fall apart. Fuckers kept my hands toasty on a -25F windy day on the ice, I will never let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by bthomson22 View Post
    These bibs have a weird tension in the crotch area - it appears they "fixed" this problem with this year's model by adding some stretch. We'll see come Feb as they are sending a new pair. I might just tape er up and call it extra ventilation for the next couple of weeks.
    that ^^ makes more sense, yeah whatever gets you thru to Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    How's AQS working to fix deep scratches (not going all the way through) in leather? My FTP lobster gloves took a bit of a beating when I cratered into a stand of pines last week and got hung up on branches and I don't want them to fall apart. Fuckers kept my hands toasty on a -25F windy day on the ice, I will never let them go.
    yeah I fixed a deep cut in a Blundstone ( pict on page 2 ) AQS sticks to leather shoes/ plastic tele boots/ naugahyde bikes seats/ and will double the life of ski or bike gloves

you could dab some AQS in the cut on your leatehr glove with a toothpick and tape the edges shut

when you see leatehr gloves starting to wear from use add a layer of AQS BEFORE you got a hole is way easier than having to back the hole and fix with AQS

yeah I fixed a deep cut in a Blundstone ( pict on page 2 ) AQS sticks to leather shoes/ plastic tele boots/ naugahyde bikes seats/ and will double the life of ski or bike gloves

you could dab some AQS in the cut on your leatehr glove with a toothpick and tape the edges shut

when you see leatehr gloves starting to wear from use add a layer of AQS BEFORE you got a hole is way easier than having to back the hole and fix with AQS
    Sweet, thanks, going to get on this tonight once the 2nd layer of snoseal has fully dried!

I want the AQS to stick to the leather so I always do the fix first and the snow seal second

Fix your own fucking gear with Aqua seal eh

yeah i also lost material on my pict above but not as much as you, that is a big fucking hole !

you could get tape in there to stick next to the seam, it only has to stick long enough to do the repair

another thing to consider is cut a piece of nylon material larger than the hole, get it lined up/flat behind the hole
    , apply the AQS cover with plastic and weight it down
    Well fix done. Not the best looking but it's back up and running. I ended up just pulling the side together with a few light stitches. There was nearly 1/2" of material gone in places so ended up with some wrinkles, but it will work. I think I was a bit heavy handed with the quantity of AQS (actually shoe goo). You mentioned it before but what's the trick to make it matte finish?

Name:  IMG_7586.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  121.7 KB

Shoo goo is fine, Its fixed so good enough, now take some AQS on a rag, rub it on the shinny AQS and it should give you a matt finish