Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

People dying on Mt. Everest, what else is new

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/23/w...sultPosition=1

That line waiting to stand on the summit is worse than KT on a storm powder day. People dying because they have to wait 3 hours because of the crowds. Faahk. Maybe I won't complain so much next time it takes me 4 hours to get home from Squaw. No, I probably will.

Why wouldn't you actually use some skill and climb around? Fucking posers. Go over, go left. Throw a screw or two. Go up, rap down, and GTFO?

60+K$ = human centipede
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post

wow. that's incredible.

Just shows there are too many people with too much disposable income.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    wow. that's incredible.
    Yeah, you'd kinda wish it was photoshopped.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2019...o-many-deaths/

weird to me how many of today's wealthy spend lots of money to stand in line with other rich people.

it is a pretty mountain in a cool place though.

I keep wondering if the people who died are captured in that line up pic.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

No quota system? Shit Mt Whitney has one
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Is the step even still there? I never heard confirmed one way or another if it was gone or not after the landslide. This trek has has been a cluster fuck since the 80s and worse since the Chinese side opened up. I think I recall Nepal had some caps on permits, the Chinese side not so much.

File under people ruin everything: untouched beaches, powder days, scuba sites, etc.

They need to spend more time on the clean-up effort, just saying. . .
    I've spent most of my life skiing and fly fishing. The rest I have just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Why wouldn't you actually use some skill and climb around? Fucking posers. Go over, go left. Throw a screw or two. Go up, rap down, and GTFO?
    Because if you were capable of doing that you wouldn't be there in the first place.

Jesus, that's horrible. What's the point? If I had the money to throw at an Everest expedition, I would spend it on something else that doesn't have a wait that makes Disneyland look like a cake walk.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    weird to me how many of today's wealthy spend lots of money to stand in line with other rich people.

it is a pretty mountain in a cool place though.
    That's always perplexed me too. Having flown over many of the unbelievably massive mountain ranges in that part of the world, what really struck me as I was flying over them (sitting in the co-pilot's seat with a stunning front row view) was the thought that the vast majority of those gigantic peaks have never been summited or even visited at all. Unbelievably remote and probably insanely difficult to even get to.

Heck. I wonder how many of those dentists could have avoided the lines altogether by just hiking alternative mountains in the region. Still pretty damn tall and gnarly.

https://jingdaily.com/how-mountainee...K4n_4sRympZsJg

Apparently a lot of my people are climbing mountains
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Add three more dead on Thursday. 7 total in the last week.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48395241

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Because if you were capable of doing that you wouldn't be there in the first place.
    Exactly. Quite a few of those people had probably never worn crampons before this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That's always perplexed me too. Having flown over many of the unbelievably massive mountain ranges in that part of the world, what really struck me as I was flying over them (sitting in the co-pilot's seat with a stunning front row view) was the thought that the vast majority of those gigantic peaks have never been summited or even visited at all. Unbelievably remote and probably insanely difficult to even get to.

Heck. I wonder how many of those dentists could have avoided the lines altogether by just hiking alternative mountains in the region. Still pretty damn tall and gnarly.
    The whole tragedy with Everest is that it's the tallest, but not gnarly. The fact Earth's highest peak isn't technically difficult to climb almost makes me think that God exists, and that he's a sick twisted bastard who likes to entertain himself by watching people with more money than sense suffer and die chasing a vapid narcissistic achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

So you come back from your expedition and tell people at the cocktail party you climbed Gasherbrum II* and they're like, "What? You didn't even climb Gasherbrum I ?", and they go off to talk to someone else.

*Actually in the Karakoram, not the the Himalaya.

I honestly have no remorse at this point regarding the traffic jams on Everest. That opinion piece jackstraw really hits it home. All that time, money, and effort spent to climb in the Himalayas, all just to "stand on top of the world". Jesus how many 8,000m peaks are there in that range? There are so many lesser-known peaks that would be well worth the effort vs. Everest. It's trashing the area as well, which to me is an almost greater tragedy.

Still, I can only imagine the influx of tourism dollars to the area over the past decade. It's a hard drug to quit if your nation is as poor as Nepal.

Could end up crippled as well.

www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I find the idea of climbing a mountain just to say you did completely ridiculous. But then I find idea of climbing a mountain just to survival ski down some crusty couloir pretty silly too. Never really got any of that ego shit. I like to have fun. I could give a fuck about conquests.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    File under people ruin everything: untouched beaches, powder days, scuba sites, etc.
    The vast majority of people won't go explore something new or really come up with anything on their own. But if something gets enough hype and publicity, people will flock to it, oblivious to other nearby options that are just as good and without the crowds. It always blows me away how every "hiker" wants to go do Mt Whitney. Shouldn't you do some less strenuous hikes and peaks first to get in shape? In San Diego we have a few peaks that get swarmed. But go on a side trail from same trailhead over to a different saddle and there is no one on it. I shouldn't complain. I'm glad people are such sheeple since it leaves those other places less crowded for those of us who still want to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I honestly have no remorse at this point regarding the traffic jams on Everest. That opinion piece jackstraw really hits it home. All that time, money, and effort spent to climb in the Himalayas, all just to "stand on top of the world". Jesus how many 8,000m peaks are there in that range? There are so many lesser-known peaks that would be well worth the effort vs. Everest. It's trashing the area as well, which to me is an almost greater tragedy.
    I kinda feel the same about no remorse w Everest getting trashed. At least try to keep the trashing centralized as long as possible. It's like how I feel about adults that keep going to Disney - at least they aren't fucking some place else up.

Saw this on the Today Show and it fits with the Everest folks.

myhighplains.com/instagram-inspired-travel
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime