Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all have read Megan’s article about Whitney from last year? Not the same but similar. I have talked to Dan (in article) about their experience. In the past 20-30 yrs, some things are unchanged (e.g., many inexperienced people getting permits, going for it, and putting many others at risk) and some things have changed substantially (e.g., social media).
    https://www.outsideonline.com/233091...bing-accidents
    6-20 rescues per year on Whitney? Shit, Quandary has those numbers. Several other CO 14ers have those numbers. I bet Rainier exceeds those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    6-20 rescues per year on Whitney? Shit, Quandary has those numbers. Several other CO 14ers have those numbers. I bet Rainier exceeds those numbers.
    I bet Mount Olympus here in the Wasatch has more than 6 SAR rescues per year lol

Only allow people who are certified in high angle rescue and have paramedic or medical skills to climb Everest. That way
    a) there will be rescuers available if rescue is needed, and
    b) rescue won't be needed.

I got a laugh out of the IMAX film about Everest. They cocked up some artificial drama about Viesturs, Araceli Segarra, and Jamling Norgay reaching the summit, with film of them on the summit day, reaching the summit. No mention of Brashears on the summit day--the guy climbed Everest carrying an IMAX camera (with help I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The Yuge, near military, expedition style of the 1953 British Mount Everest attempt led to the withdrawal of the man who had been expected to lead it and was controversial among the climbing "community"
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them, but the history of acrimonious post accident conflict & issues of competence and novices and hence leading to community division goes back to Whymper's descent of the Matterhorn, if not before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...the_Matterhorn

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Only allow people who are certified in high angle rescue and have paramedic or medical skills to climb Everest. That way
    a) there will be rescuers available if rescue is needed, and
    b) rescue won't be needed.

I got a laugh out of the IMAX film about Everest. They cocked up some artificial drama about Viesturs, Araceli Segarra, and Jamling Norgay reaching the summit, with film of them on the summit day, reaching the summit. No mention of Brashears on the summit day--the guy climbed Everest carrying an IMAX camera (with help I suppose).
    Or just prohibit the use of bottled O2. It's still climbable but people capable will be minimal and have a better sense of their physical limitations

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    mcski and I must run on the fringes of the same circles. Maybe someday we’ll meet. Knowing most of the people, her father figure story was eye opening....
    Are you in Tahoe?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Are you in Tahoe?
    No

On the subject of style, remember when Koch and chin attempted a while back
    https://www.climbing.com/news/koch-c...erest-attempt/

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them, but the history of acrimonious post accident conflict & issues of competence and novices and hence leading to community division goes back to Whymper's descent of the Matterhorn, if not before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...the_Matterhorn
    One of the better books about what can go wrong on an expedition is Galen Rowell's "In The Throne Room of the Mountain Gods" about an unsuccessful but not tragic K2 expedition.

last hut trip there was a camper with a badly abscessed tooth in a lot of pain in the next hut over

we had 2 doctors and a pharmacist consulting over the radio at happy hr as to who had what drugs and what would they do ?

In the end buddy paid for an evac by chopper
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gotta take care of your teeth. Brush and floss daily, people.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them
    Agreed.

That's not what I was referring to though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Gotta take care of your teeth. Brush and floss daily, people.
    I think it's twice daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    floss daily, people.
    Maybe not.....

Flossing Isn’t Backed by Science?
    A popular news story correctly reported that there was little evidence to support flossing's benefits, but it glossed over some important methodological context.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Instagram is starting to show me videos of people struggling to help climbers who ended up dying on Everest. I expect more will come out as people get access to Internet

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Instagram is starting to show me videos of people struggling to help climbers who ended up dying on Everest. I expect more will come out as people get access to Internet
    Who are you following on ig that were on Everest?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Who are you following on ig that were on Everest?
    Nobody. It was in the scrolly feed section.

Here's an article with video
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/foota...070432071.html

Ah, gotcha. I'm following people like Caroline Gleich and Adrian Ballinger spout about how the Tibet side is empty in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Ah, gotcha. I'm following people like Caroline Gleich and Adrian Ballinger spout about how the Tibet side is empty in comparison.
    How are they doing dentally?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    wonder what drives this type of person, the need to summit at all cost.
    From that link maybe having a documentary made about a four women Arab climbing team?

Or making said documentary*.

And unclear did documentary film maker or his subjects refuse to step over dead bodies... or just Instagram disgust at others doing so while chasing their dream.

*I see film maker has previously been involved in an Everest climb to support albinism. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    *I see film maker has previously been involved in an Everest climb to support albinism. FFS.
    Mighty white of him.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Mighty white of him.
    Is that a mime climbing Everest?

No it's an albino.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'd put my money on Mandy Moore having more climbing experience and better overall fitness than most of the schmos on the mountain.
    I'll bet she could whip most of the keyboard goons posting on this thread too.

yeah i heard the CBC interviewed by Anna Marie Tremonte, he said this is his 3rd sucessful everest summit but he has also been turned back twice

BUT the first mountain he ever climbed ... was Everest

is he a real mtn climber ?

or part of the problem ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

As much as some like to bash Caroline, the requirements to climb with Alpenglow seem to weed out Everest adventure seekers by having an 8000 meter bar to cross.

Perhaps other Guides should be made to have similar hurdles?

alpenglowexpeditions.com

ALTITUDE EXPERIENCE

Climbers must have substantial climbing experience to join our Everest Expedition. Climbers must have climbed at least one 8,000 meter peak prior to joining us on an open enrollment. Climbers must be able to climb technical terrain with an alpine pack on their back. Climbers should also be comfortable with camp craft in high- altitude camps and be able to perform at a high level for multiple days in a row at altitude.

TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE

Must be able to climb moderate rock, ice, and snow terrain, often with an alpine pack on your back. You should be comfortable with camp craft in high-altitude camps, and able to perform at a high level for multiple days in a row at altitude. Prior ascents of multiple 6000 - 7000 meter peaks is strongly recommended.

FITNESS

Climbers must be in excellent physical shape to join this expedition. This is perhaps the most important aspect of high altitude climbing, and cannot be stressed enough. Regular, challenging exercise for many months in advance of departure is the only way to gain the necessary level of fitness that is needed on big peaks. We highly recommend a structured training regime with a gym or personal trainer to assist you in preparing for climbing at altitude. Please contact us for more information on physical training.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime