Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

People dying on Mt. Everest, what else is new

^that is bonktacular

On the topic of the meditative aspects of running; I think that's why these dudes are doing...

https://3100.srichinmoyraces.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    A friend is training for a race at snowbird and she was saying she does 12k vert days to train, 3x a week. My jaw hit the floor as that would destroy my knees in week 1.
    Nothing to see here...if yer a 0.00001 percenter. For the rest of us in the middle of the bell curve of average genetics....
    Master of mediocrity.

A friend is training for a race at snowbird and she was saying she does 12k vert days to train, 3x a week. My jaw hit the floor as that would destroy my knees in week 1.
    Speedgoat?? Looks like the short course still has openings. Wonder if I can kick my ass in shape fast enough

Chouinard's catalog one year had an essay by Doug Robinson I think on the virtues of downhill running on talus. It always seemed too high consequence for my tastes.

Have not read essay (would really like to) but .... running downhill on scree; that makes sense. Running downhill on slopes containing scree-ish material approaching the scree - talus interface; sure, why not, you only live once. Running downhill on legit talus (settled or not); mostly no fun and just plain ol' dumb. What an efficient way to f*ck yourself up.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Have not read essay (would really like to) but .... running downhill on scree; that makes sense. Running downhill on slopes containing scree-ish material approaching the scree - talus interface; sure, why not, you only live once. Running downhill on legit talus (settled or not); mostly no fun and just plain ol' dumb. What an efficient way to f*ck yourself up.
    good luck finding that catalog, was in the 70's or maybe 80's I think, back when Chouinard made climbing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    Age has not diminished your memory old goat.

Here's that article.

sounds as nuts now as it did then.

John Muir? Never heard of him
    I think he was Ansel Adams' dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Mau View Post
    Age has not diminished your memory old goat.

Here's that article.

Thanks for that

Warren Witherell, from 1972, on a very similar topic (begins with "Consider running..." halfway down page 17). Witherell was amazing, you should know about him if you don't.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ea...unning&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm convinced that downhill trail running is also the best off-season training there is for skiing.
    What led you this conclusion? I'm not seeing it. Uphill running, whether on dirt or concrete, would provide better physiologic base for ski-related activity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    What led you this conclusion? I'm not seeing it. Uphill running, whether on dirt or concrete, would provide better physiologic base for ski-related activity.

dynamic weight changes and sighting lines, i'm guessing. running uphill you stop and rest you are fine. running downhill in talus you are potentially fucked if you try and stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

Eccentric loading. Skiing and downhill running are the two most eccentric-dominant sports I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Eccentric loading. Skiing and downhill running are the two most eccentric-dominant sports I know.
    I agree with this. I've known plenty of sub 3 hour marathon runners who lack the legs to go top to bottom. Downhill running is great for the ski legs and vice versa.

Class V kayaking...creek or big water is how I used to go into flow state. There’s a 15 mile run north of here you could lose yourself for 3-4 hours on.

The problem it’s not something you can just do once in awhile and I’ve grown away from it. I’d like to say I could commit to getting back into it but I won’t. It would be nice to find something like that feeling that you could do sporadically.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Class V kayaking...creek or big water is how I used to go into flow state. There’s a 15 mile run north of here you could lose yourself for 3-4 hours on.

The problem it’s not something you can just do once in awhile and I’ve grown away from it. I’d like to say I could commit to getting back into it but I won’t. It would be nice to find something like that feeling that you could do sporadically.
    Honestly the best bet might be some video game. I know it's not the same but I can't think of anything else that you might be able to do sporadically without risk of injury from not doing it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Honestly the best bet might be some video game. I know it's not the same but I can't think of anything else that you might be able to do sporadically without risk of injury from not doing it enough.
    Have you tried furious masturbation?

Sporadically?

religiously

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    If you sporadically and furiously masturbate, you will get injured and it ain't pretty.

Brutah, speaking from experience?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    suggest you stop before you go blind

so maybe just until you need glasses ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Warren Witherell, from 1972, on a very similar topic (begins with "Consider running..." halfway down page 17). Witherell was amazing, you should know about him if you don't.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ea...unning&f=false
    Warren is a legend around these parts.
    I discovered this training technique on my own back in the day (20's). Running down the rocky trails of Mt Pisgah, Burke, and Bald Mtns really helped with coordination and staying light on my feet. If you did it correctly it was less impact than you would think. I felt like I was gliding down the mtns. Now that I'm older and my fast twitch isn't quite so fast, it is harder to run down smoothly in the more technical areas without beating on the knees.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/