Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    A lot of self checkout on the way down.

Wait, I want to hear more about these humorless hindus.

Wonder what would happen if people started going around the line to the top. Based on what happens when people try to shortcut Spanky's or Alta High T, I'm guessing it would not be pretty--as in they collect your body parts 10K feet below.

Probably wouldn't happen though--people being guided tend to lose the capacity for rational thought and independent decision making and action.

More on the difficulty of removing bodies--the same would apply to a disabled climber, except that by the time they did manage to get them down they would almost certainly be dead.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.df98f2bc702c

The whole enterprise is so astoundingly ridiculous that it is surprising there are still so many people who want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Zip line
    So kind of a bummer, I looked it up and there is no zip line. What are these people waiting in line for? Why even climb the fucker if there is no zip line? Paraglide lessons/rentals? Rafting? Horseback riding? No? WTF?!?! Worthless fucking sherpas. Yeah, I’ve summited 37 times. And of those 37 summits, on which one did you install the zip line? None? Lazy fuck. No wonder they are under paid. No fucking zip line and probably no salt water taffy at the summit either. Can I at least buy a goddamn T-shirt or a beer at the top? No. Missed opportunity for a sale. You get what you pay for I guess.

Side note I love how zip lining is often portrayed by banks and other shit companies as living extreme or using your points to go extreming. Uh. You’re just fucking sitting there, on your ass, riding in a fucking harness. Not hard. Fun as shit though. And if that fucking eyesore of a zip line bullshit installation in Dumont ever gets burned to the fucking ground, don’t look at me. “Where will we zip line from? Well, seeing as it’s so fucking flat here in the fucking mountains of CO, we should build some ugly ass towers, CO is for extremers to go extreming ya know. Where else will people extreme out if we don’t build the extreme towers?”
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Zip lining Everest.

Who is gonna be the first?
    watch out for snakes

Why not you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Ya if you try to pass without permission someone might accidentally bump into you before you get back on the fixed rope. A fairly good deterrent.

17 people dead this year without any serious weather issues. Pretty fkd up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/w...affic-jam.html
    this ^^ the guides and sherpas all know each other, they go up earlier to fix the lines so they have to play nice together in the death zone

At 8000 meters All those people standing around can barely move more than a few steps, they all feel sick none of them can eat or sleep properly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    this ^^ the guides and sherpas all know each other, they go up earlier to fix the lines so they have to play nice together in the death zone

At 8000 meters All those people standing around can barely move more than a few steps, they all feel sick none of them can eat or sleep properly
    Exactly. Not exactly go around environment
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I read about a western type climber teaching beginning rope use to buddist (not hindu!) and he said they were not too concerned cuz of their beliefs about death and so they had to be told to take it more seriuosly

Yup. Fuckers got no sense of humor........

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Zip lining Everest.

Who is gonna be the first?
    Why not go all the way and build a mountain coaster!

I think that they should just pack everybody into space suits so they get plenty of oxygen and can hike more easily and at less risk up, then at the summit, to avoid the need to down climb and cause traffic jams, every climber caries up an extra canister of helium and a ballon and they just get launched up and gradually back down then picked up lower down where they land.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I like the zip line idea better.
    watch out for snakes

Yeah, zip line or GTFO.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Wing suits.

good art. from G&M

"In the dark, headlamps provided the only light. The temperature dipped to minus 35 C. Within 20 minutes, the group passed two Sherpa guides as they lowered a man down the mountain on a stretcher.

They soon passed another climber who was delirious and screaming. Higher still, they stepped over a dead body someone had rigged up to a safety anchor. At another point, Mr. Saikaly implored an exhausted climber to turn back."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...adly-climbing/

Sounds like a fun day
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yeah, zip line or GTFO.
    Pssshawww

Space suits and personal dirigibles clearly a more viable plan

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Why not go all the way and build a mountain coaster!
    Perhaps ten (10) years ago, the Chinese talked about engineering a paved road to (or close to) the summit of Everest, so that all of their people could visit the top. Something to do with China being the pinnacle of the World bullshit (they're into that kinda childish symbolism).

Anywho, if they ever do construct this highway (Get it? "Highway"), I'm sure there'll be a few openings for bus drivers.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    saikaly dude goes there 8 times telling others not to go
    takes four others to summit to show anyone can do it
    yes agree its fair bit of pot and kettle. My first thought I didn't think being a doc filmmaker brought in enough $ to make climbing Everest something you do many times. But he is getting others to pay so he can go lots and show anyone can do it.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

understandably Laurie and i did not discuss this subject but apparently the 82 Canex to everest expedition was way in debt so I have heard > once they paid it off by smuggling hash in the handles of ice axes

I used to like watching those 1 hr climbing expeditions to everest on PBS 9, that was the real thing or at least it looked like the real thing

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Highest I've ever gone is 11K+ on Rainier.

Also been to the top of Huayna Picchu which is just under 9K.

I'm good now.
    Highest I've ever been I was stuck on the couch for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Highest I've ever been I was stuck on the couch for awhile.
    lot4

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Venus fly trap
    "Once you get above about 25,000 feet, your body just can't metabolize the oxygen," Grayson Schaffer, editor of Outside magazine, told NPR. "Your muscles start to break down. You start to have fluid that builds up around your lungs and your brain. Your brain starts to swell. You start to lose cognition. Your decision making starts to become slow. And you start to make bad decisions."

The part about not being able to metabolize oxygen is BS.* The problem is not enough oxygen, not inability to use it. The rest is true, although the level at which the body starts breaking down the longer you stay is closer to 20K.

*Maybe the author meant not being able to transport oxygen--oxygen transport across the alveolar-capillary membrane is driven by the partial pressure of oxygen, which is lower at altitude. That's different than being able to metabolize it, but I guess to a magazine editor it's all the same.

Why not take more oxygen? A big part of the problem of climbing Everest is logistical--getting enough food, fuel, oxygen, and camping gear to the high camp to support a summit attempt in a short window of time. As you increase the amount of stuff you take, a greater and greater proportion of the load is used getting the summit supply up high until they reach the point where you use it all up getting it there--no surplus for the summit. Kind of like trying to take a rocket ship to Mars--almost all the thrust of the rocket is spent just to launch its fuel