Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Paying guides to walk your gear through that icefall is moderately unethical.... "here, please risk death for my convenience"
    It's a very good paying job for Nepal and not necessarily that much more hazardous than some other employment in that country. Nepals development goals and needs for money, as well as that of its people, do not align with the imagery many westerners have of the Himalaya, myself included.

Wow, they have wifi up there?

Double the fees, weed some people out and make the same amount of money. Some sherpas might be out of work, or put to work cleaning it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post

60+K$ = human centipede
    if that many people can do it they've obviously figured out how to outfit you and the route that is safest and most reliable, seems a waste of money.

"i was tethered to a rope and walked up to the Everest summit !" - no thanks, i'll just drive to the top of the divide over Eisenhower and get just as good as a view.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So you come back from your expedition and tell people at the cocktail party you climbed Gasherbrum II* and they're like, "What? You didn't even climb Gasherbrum I ?", and they go off to talk to someone else.

*Actually in the Karakoram, not the the Himalaya.
    I guy I know just backed off of summiting Makalu. I have immense respect in his skills and decision making.

no one cares about Gasherbrum or Makalu or Kanchenjunga or < insert most any other random peak >other than climbers or someone who wants to talk to a climber. the amorphous "everyone" cares about someone who climbed mount everest.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    no one cares about Gasherbrum or Makalu or Kanchenjunga or < insert most any other random peak >other than climbers or someone who wants to talk to a climber. the amorphous "everyone" cares about someone who climbed mount everest.
    no matter the masses its still an accomplishment if you ask me. Its hardly a gentle stroll up your local 14er. Most people die on the way down. it might not be technical climbing, but i'd imagine the mental game needs to be on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Go do Cho Oyu or some other mountain that's not crowded. Experience the same life-changing climb, have a unique story.
    Can you post a link to your trip report?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    no matter the masses its still an accomplishment if you ask me. Its hardly a gentle stroll up your local 14er. Most people die on the way down. it might not be technical climbing, but i'd imagine the mental game needs to be on point.
    It'd still be one hell of a view from the top and a fair amount of physical work. It's not my thing, but I don't like standing in tram lines with hundreds of other people, nor do I have to go to the most awesomest broiest ski area and stand in line with bros to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Jesus how many 8,000m peaks are there in that range?
    In fairness there are 14 in the world

at 8000 meters even a real climber will take 3 steps be completely out of breath unable to move, will feel like shit, not be able to eat or sleep maybe experience edema, maybe fall off the mountain so its way dangerouns so I think the people dying just gives Everest more cachet

there used to be a death-to-summit ratio and wonder where that is now that so many people are doing everest ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd rather go to Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    that's just because it's a stand in for indeterminate vintage DC.

Will you go so far as to say Connecticut?

ooof. toughie.

Do I have to get on 95?

ooof. toughie.

Do I have to get on 95?
    Yes. It's the highway hell that truly compares the two.

You don't climb Everest for the view. I think we all have stood on the highest peak in an area and looked out on a fairly featureless sea of peaks. The best views are from the subsidiary peaks towards the big ones. The view from the top of Rendezvous beats the view from the top of the Grand Teton IMO. The best view in the Winds is from the top of Stroud Pk 11K ish, towards Gannet, not from the top of Gannet, according to the guidebook and IMO. There's nothing like looking at a big mountain face on from a nearby summit half way to the top of the big one. You can really appreciate how big and steep the big one is in a way you can't get from climbing the big one.

Does your theory apply to tits?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    It'd still be one hell of a view from the top.
    Yeah but you've got to walk past (and sometimes sleep next to) all the dead bodies on your way up to see that view <shudder>

200 Dead, Unrecovered Bodies on Mt. Everest Used as Landmarks

You don't climb Everest for the view. I think we all have stood on the highest peak in an area and looked out on a fairly featureless sea of peaks. The best views are from the subsidiary peaks towards the big ones. The view from the top of Rendezvous beats the view from the top of the Grand Teton IMO. The best view in the Winds is from the top of Stroud Pk 11K ish, towards Gannet, not from the top of Gannet, according to the guidebook and IMO. There's nothing like looking at a big mountain face on from a nearby summit half way to the top of the big one. You can really appreciate how big and steep the big one is in a way you can't get from climbing the big one.
    Rainier is beautiful from the top of Crystal Mt.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

https://historydaily.org/mt-everest-...d-as-landmarks

Sometimes climbers stumble upon men and women who are dying on the mountain but have no way of helping them and so they must leave them to die.
    Nope. They don't have to leave them die. Why even try and chance at saving a life when I can be a MOFO and bag another peak? Selfish pricks them all. If someone's dying, help them down even if it means you have to try another day. Take a chance and see if you can save a life. There are lots of down-and-outs that have in fact lived another day on Everest. If you can't save them, then carry them down as far as possible. Help them anyways and give them a good death with care. Yes, be a Mother Theresa not a Mother #$%.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I'm with you. Drag them down and at least if at the end of your mental/physical rope give them a toss.

It's about morals, and the unwritten climber's code.

But, the people going up these days probably don't abide.

I can't tell you how many times I've put my life in front of another climber/hiker/skier.

I also can't tell you when the last time I didn't sleep a good night besides my own demons. Not theirs.

The most prominent picture on my wall when you walk into my place is a photograph of a climb where the small people in that image went boom. Skull blood splashed on my face. I've been looking and experiencing that moment everyday in my face for 20 years. And it's happened 3x since.

It keeps the soul in check if you don't believe in the God thing.

I don't believe in the god thing, but I do believe in the people thing. And I know that I've saved a lot of actual people thing's lives over the years. Many.

I've seen the face of death, in others, and been there myself. It's not pretty, if it's the concussed brain damaged person hanging off the rope, or your mother with a needle sticking out of her arm.

Do the right thing. Spike Lee did not invent that.

You don't climb Everest for the view
    It's a pretty fucking nice view imo

Dying to live.

Bullfighting?
    Darwin?
    Climbing?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    https://historydaily.org/mt-everest-...d-as-landmarks

Nope. They don't have to leave them die. Why even try and chance at saving a life when I can be a MOFO and bag another peak? Selfish pricks them all. If someone's dying, help them down even if it means you have to try another day. Take a chance and see if you can save a life. There are lots of down-and-outs that have in fact lived another day on Everest. If you can't save them, then carry them down as far as possible. Help them anyways and give them a good death with care. Yes, be a Mother Theresa not a Mother #$%.
    We've had this conversation before, but, from my understanding, it's hard enough to put one foot in front of the other up there, so, dragging a 150-200 pound human seems basically impossible, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    We've had this conversation before, but, from my understanding, it's hard enough to put one foot in front of the other up there, so, dragging a 150-200 pound human seems basically impossible, right?
    I'd understand if it was someone exhausted on the way down, and can't help for the life of them. But people are being passed on the way up by peak-baggers.

If someone can wait in a line of 200 people, with a sherpa and extra oxygen tanks, then in my opinion they also have the ability to help a comrade. Think like a US Marine, "no man left behind". If you can drag your own ass up the mountain, then you can help drag someone else ass down the mountain - or at least try, just try, and see if they can be helped with extra oxygen and hydration.

If you can't help someone for fear of your life, then how the heck are you going to even help yourself to the top at that point?

The TOWER of BABEL.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er