Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 477
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,675
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all have read Megan’s article about Whitney from last year? Not the same but similar. I have talked to Dan (in article) about their experience. In the past 20-30 yrs, some things are unchanged (e.g., many inexperienced people getting permits, going for it, and putting many others at risk) and some things have changed substantially (e.g., social media).
    https://www.outsideonline.com/233091...bing-accidents
    6-20 rescues per year on Whitney? Shit, Quandary has those numbers. Several other CO 14ers have those numbers. I bet Rainier exceeds those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    6-20 rescues per year on Whitney? Shit, Quandary has those numbers. Several other CO 14ers have those numbers. I bet Rainier exceeds those numbers.
    I bet Mount Olympus here in the Wasatch has more than 6 SAR rescues per year lol

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,741
    Only allow people who are certified in high angle rescue and have paramedic or medical skills to climb Everest. That way
    a) there will be rescuers available if rescue is needed, and
    b) rescue won't be needed.

    I got a laugh out of the IMAX film about Everest. They cocked up some artificial drama about Viesturs, Araceli Segarra, and Jamling Norgay reaching the summit, with film of them on the summit day, reaching the summit. No mention of Brashears on the summit day--the guy climbed Everest carrying an IMAX camera (with help I suppose).

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The Yuge, near military, expedition style of the 1953 British Mount Everest attempt led to the withdrawal of the man who had been expected to lead it and was controversial among the climbing "community"
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them, but the history of acrimonious post accident conflict & issues of competence and novices and hence leading to community division goes back to Whymper's descent of the Matterhorn, if not before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...the_Matterhorn

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,565
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Only allow people who are certified in high angle rescue and have paramedic or medical skills to climb Everest. That way
    a) there will be rescuers available if rescue is needed, and
    b) rescue won't be needed.

    I got a laugh out of the IMAX film about Everest. They cocked up some artificial drama about Viesturs, Araceli Segarra, and Jamling Norgay reaching the summit, with film of them on the summit day, reaching the summit. No mention of Brashears on the summit day--the guy climbed Everest carrying an IMAX camera (with help I suppose).
    Or just prohibit the use of bottled O2. It's still climbable but people capable will be minimal and have a better sense of their physical limitations

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,565
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    mcski and I must run on the fringes of the same circles. Maybe someday we’ll meet. Knowing most of the people, her father figure story was eye opening....
    Are you in Tahoe?

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Are you in Tahoe?
    No

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,232
    On the subject of style, remember when Koch and chin attempted a while back
    https://www.climbing.com/news/koch-c...erest-attempt/

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,741
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them, but the history of acrimonious post accident conflict & issues of competence and novices and hence leading to community division goes back to Whymper's descent of the Matterhorn, if not before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...the_Matterhorn
    One of the better books about what can go wrong on an expedition is Galen Rowell's "In The Throne Room of the Mountain Gods" about an unsuccessful but not tragic K2 expedition.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,855
    last hut trip there was a camper with a badly abscessed tooth in a lot of pain in the next hut over

    we had 2 doctors and a pharmacist consulting over the radio at happy hr as to who had what drugs and what would they do ?

    In the end buddy paid for an evac by chopper
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    34,888
    yo, maybe it was just his time.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,077
    "he had an elderly soul, wasn't surpised when that tooth took him out"

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,124
    Gotta take care of your teeth. Brush and floss daily, people.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,801
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    many of those expeditions had acrimonious personal conflict on them
    Agreed.

    That's not what I was referring to though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Gotta take care of your teeth. Brush and floss daily, people.
    I think it's twice daily?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    14,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    floss daily, people.
    Maybe not.....


    Flossing Isn’t Backed by Science?
    A popular news story correctly reported that there was little evidence to support flossing's benefits, but it glossed over some important methodological context.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,077
    Brit supports climbing Everest in jeans while on holiday.

  18. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,042
    Instagram is starting to show me videos of people struggling to help climbers who ended up dying on Everest. I expect more will come out as people get access to Internet

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Instagram is starting to show me videos of people struggling to help climbers who ended up dying on Everest. I expect more will come out as people get access to Internet
    Who are you following on ig that were on Everest?

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Who are you following on ig that were on Everest?
    Nobody. It was in the scrolly feed section.

    Here's an article with video
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/foota...070432071.html

  21. #246
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,064
    Ah, gotcha. I'm following people like Caroline Gleich and Adrian Ballinger spout about how the Tibet side is empty in comparison.

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Ah, gotcha. I'm following people like Caroline Gleich and Adrian Ballinger spout about how the Tibet side is empty in comparison.
    How are they doing dentally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    34,888
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Nobody. It was in the scrolly feed section.

    Here's an article with video
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/foota...070432071.html
    reads like she previously got accused of a fake summit pic then a fight ensued and the police were involved. Sherpa she was with mentions her not being qualified then we read her husband had summited the day before. gotta wonder what drives this type of person, the need to summit at all cost.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,801
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    wonder what drives this type of person, the need to summit at all cost.
    From that link maybe having a documentary made about a four women Arab climbing team?

    Or making said documentary*.

    And unclear did documentary film maker or his subjects refuse to step over dead bodies... or just Instagram disgust at others doing so while chasing their dream.

    *I see film maker has previously been involved in an Everest climb to support albinism. FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,773
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    *I see film maker has previously been involved in an Everest climb to support albinism. FFS.
    Mighty white of him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •