Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I'm bothered when Sherpas die.
    ^^^ This is my main concern as well ^^^

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I find the idea of climbing a mountain just to say you did completely ridiculous.
    Are there other reasons to climb a mountain other than just to say you did it?

Mountaineering, mountain climbing, alpinism, etc are all pointless endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers. Try reading the comments in a mainstream publication's coverage of an avalanche death during a heliskiing or backcountry trip because they're going to look pretty similar to many of those in this thread...
    Maybe this was lost on you, but we're not talking about Alex Lowe.

We're talking about vain, clueless dickheads who put others at risk with the power of their checkbook - people for whom I have zero sympathy.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    We're talking about vain, clueless dickheads who put others at risk with the power of their checkbook
    so.... skiers?

We're talking about vain, clueless dickheads who put others at risk with the power of their checkbook - people for whom I have zero sympathy.
    maybe this was lost on you.... BUT i would say 90% or more of the people trying to climb Everest have taken the time to train and prepare for the climb.

I think most in this thread have succumb to the sensationalism of american media, and are mislabeling most of the climbers that travel to Everest to climb it. that said most mountaineers could be labeled as vain dickheads at some point. sort of goes with the territory imo

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    so.... skiers?

Oh, don’t even get me started on those fuckers.......

Just a bunch of fucking bastards coated in a nice bastard and sauce and stuffed with a nice fucking bastard stuffing. Cranberry dressing on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    To raise awareness for albino transgender heterochromians, obviously.

maybe this was lost on you.... BUT i would say 90% or more of the people trying to climb Everest have taken the time to train and prepare for the climb.

I think most in this thread have succumb to the sensationalism of american media, and are mislabeling most of the climbers that travel to Everest to climb it. that said most mountaineers could be labeled as vain dickheads at some point. sort of goes with the territory imo
    Let's look at it this way. If a new geological survey came out showing that Gasherbrum I was the highest peak on the planet how many of these people would still prioritize Everest?
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    so.... skiers?
    Yup. Skiing is a selfish pointless endeavor. Just fun.

... Thom
    Nor are any of the commenters here Glen Plake.

I think the American outfits require a certain level of skills, fitness, and prior experience on 6,000m+ mountains like Denali, Aconcagua, or Cho Oyu. If you've done any of those, I think the term "mountaineer" is fair. (I'm guessing that the majority of people commenting here have never been above 5,000m.)

Maybe other outfits accept unqualified climbers in exchange for wads of cash, and, if so, that's super shitty. I don't share your abject scorn, but I definitely get the criticism. My guess, however, like Brutah, is that most of the climbers on Everest are qualified. But stories about qualified climbers making smart choices aren't newsworthy. Instead, we get a disproportionate number of horror stories, which lead to a generalized assumption that the worst is the norm. But, of course, it's not the whole story.

I disagree about qualified. How many of these climbers would be there if there was not a business set up to get them there. I understand that is the way it is set up so you have to go through a company. My point how many of these climbers are out climbing big remote peaks on their own?
    A friend was guiding north side this year for the first time. They did not summit. On facebook he posted! " A quick note on this season. We made a choice to go after the crowds, and enjoyed a pure mountain experience with only our extended group."
    so apparently it is possible to still have an uncrowded trip.
    off your knees Louie

Wanna point out again that it’s really hard for generally smart and experienced people to make smart decisions when at high elevations. Lots of reproduced research via google scholar searching cognition and hypoxia.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I disagree about qualified. How many of these climbers would be there if there was not a business set up to get them there. I understand that is the way it is set up so you have to go through a company. My point how many of these climbers are out climbing big remote peaks on their own?
    A friend was guiding north side this year for the first time. They did not summit. On facebook he posted! " A quick note on this season. We made a choice to go after the crowds, and enjoyed a pure mountain experience with only our extended group."
    ^^^This. Let’s be honest. If you sit on the sofa drinking beer all day or haven’t climbed anything significant you won’t even make it close to the summit. The problem are those “qualified” climbers who checked enough boxes to do Everest but still don’t have enough climbing experience for if anything goes wrong. I can’t imagine an experienced climber dying on Everest because of exhaustion in a traffic jam.

I came for the "pure mountain experience with only our extended group".

Disgusting.

I'll pipe up as a once alpinist, now armchair hack, old, opinionated asshole.
    I'd venture that 0.10 percent of these people are "qualified", and that is a really generous assessment.
    Having done it, holy shit what a fucking pain in the ass it is to setup an international climb of 6000+ m peak(s) in a remote region of the globe.
    Without the business setup, as BFD mentions, most of these folks wouldn't be anywhere near these peaks.
    The reason for this is intermingling with the afore mentioned pain in the ass and having the skills to climb said peaks.

I've lost friends on Everest, the clusterfuck on K2 back in 2008, and numerous other peaks around the globe.
    These were all highly experienced people, most of whom I consider more experienced than me - at least at the time of their death.
    Because you can make it up a peak with a guide in assumed perfect conditions will never be a qualification, at least to me.
    If you can make it up a peak on your own, then you are qualified ,with the caveat that ma nature's give o' fuck meter about any of us is pinned at zero.

Mallory was quoted as saying " because its there " probably the most famous quote in mountaineering

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...use-its-there/

a short essay on his quote ^^

"" It sounds so glib and care free, almost condescending in its response to the journalist who asked the question. Mallory was part of the elite and perhaps if he had to explain beyond three words why he wanted to go, the journalist wouldn’t understand anyway. He’d never entered into the realm of profound spiritualism that Mallory had, nor would he understand the work ethic or suffering required.

But the journalist should have understood the critically important context of Mallory’s history: He was a British veteran, fresh from the horrors of World War I. Mallory had gone to war and came home to find his old life gone, many of his old friends dead or transformed by the trauma of the war. Before the war, he knew exactly where he fit in society, but now, everything had changed and he seemed to have no place at all. And like so many who survived this great, horrible war, like so many who have survived wars, he went in search of direction and meaning.

I think Mallory went to climb Mt. Everest because it was there when so much else in his life no longer was. The mountain provided a focus. It gave him reason to live when, following the unspeakable experience of the trenches, there may not have been anything else to live for. Why not climb? ""
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    (I'm guessing that the majority of people commenting here have never been above 5,000m.)
    being above 5000m doesn't qualify you as a mountaineer. or as much of anything. it's pretty easy to go trekking in parts of south america or nepal or tibet or india or pakistan and spend utterly non-technical time at 5000m.

-hack armchair who's been above 5000m in some of those places and knows it doesn't mean fuck all. Wow, I road a fucking bus over a pass in India, I'm a fucking experienced mountaineer My diarhea shit in a field is truly technical experience

Is cranberry dressing more like cranberry sauce or that cranberry relish shit?

If it took a true couple months in country how many would be there with a business?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is cranberry dressing more like cranberry sauce or that cranberry relish shit?
    cranberry relish. yet another fucking reason I hate thanksgiving.

Huh? Can’t you climb for equality?

Fuck alpinism when you can climb for albinism.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    *I see film maker has previously been involved in an Everest climb to support albinism. FFS.
    Albinism in Sub-Sahsran Africa is no joke:

Persecution of people with albinism(sometimes abbreviated PWA[1]) is based on the belief that certain body parts of albinistic people can transmit magical powers. Such superstition is present especially in some parts of the African Great Lakes region, it has been promulgated and exploited by witch doctors and others who use such body parts as ingredients in rituals, concoctions and potions with the claim that their magic will bring prosperity to the user (muti or medicine murder).[2]
    As a result, people with albinism have been persecuted, killed and dismembered, and graves of albinos dug up and desecrated. At the same time, people with albinism have also been ostracised and even killed for exactly the opposite reason, because they are presumed to be cursed and bring bad luck. The persecutions of people with albinism take place mostly in Sub-Saharan Africancommunities, especially among East Africans.[3]:81

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers..._with_albinism

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    there should be a sunscreen sponsor then

unrelated by i always wonder there isn't an epidemic of skin cancer and sunscreens sponsorships on the pga/lpga tours

"The Melanoma Tournament of Champions"