Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    "mountaineering"
    I too have climbed Olympus on a weekend

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    reads like she previously got accused of a fake summit pic then a fight ensued and the police were involved. Sherpa she was with mentions her not being qualified then we read her husband had summited the day before. gotta wonder what drives this type of person, the need to summit at all cost.
    It was another couple, both police, who faked the summit pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I get the feeling that this type of situation happens all over this mountain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alpinism/co...come_may_2019/

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    It was another couple, both police, who faked the summit pic.
    They don't seem so dumb now for saving the cash and their lives w a fake pic

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    climber died on Rainier today from rockfall while @10k.
    It happened on Liberty Ridge, while they were in their tents, so almost certainly around Thumb Rock. If so, crowding was likely a contributing cause here too, because there are not many protected bivy spots there, and if they are all taken, late comers are forced to pitch their tents in less protected spots. Liberty Ridge has a very high death to success ratio, especially for such a popular climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    It happened on Liberty Ridge...
    Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase Give me Liberty or give me death, eh?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

freeride/fulsus represent

Name:  abcEverest.png
Views: 574
Size:  855.4 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e15.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	284273
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

There was a good piece on Sherpas, the risks they take, and the huge amount of luxury crap they have to haul through the icefall--Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports #257 on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    freeride/fulsus represent

Name:  abcEverest.png
Views: 574
Size:  855.4 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e15.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	284273
    Nice!

It happened on Liberty Ridge, while they were in their tents, so almost certainly around Thumb Rock. If so, crowding was likely a contributing cause here too, because there are not many protected bivy spots there, and if they are all taken, late comers are forced to pitch their tents in less protected spots. Liberty Ridge has a very high death to success ratio, especially for such a popular climb.
    Liberty Ridge isn't really that "popular" of route. Article in the Times this am said there were 98 attempts to climb via LR last year, 53 successful. Those aren't numbers that suggest over crowding as an issue.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

If I could be camping on a beautiful mountain and get instantly squished in my sleep by a giant rock I think that would be a win.

People dying on Mt. Everest, what else is new

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There was a good piece on Sherpas, the risks they take, and the huge amount of luxury crap they have to haul through the icefall--Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports #257 on HBO.
    Trekking back in the 80s, I saw nepalis going up to basecamps, trekking for miles before any road or helipad deliveries existed, carrying wooden cases of coke in bottles w head straps to hold the pack load. If there is stupid shit tourists want, nepalis will deliver
    Last edited by mcski; 05-31-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If I could be camping on a beautiful mountain and get instantly squished in my sleep by a giant rock I think that would be a win.

Better than being squished in your sleep by a really fat chick.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Liberty Ridge isn't really that "popular" of route. Article in the Times this am said there were 98 attempts to climb via LR last year, 53 successful. Those aren't numbers that suggest over crowding as an issue.
    it's got a 2 month climbing season https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...Routebrief.pdf those numbers are 1) average and 2) % successful. not hard to see how good weather window + weekend could lead to more people than the route can handle aka "crowding"

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    it's got a 2 month climbing season https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...Routebrief.pdf those numbers are 1) average and 2) % successful. not hard to see how good weather window + weekend could lead to more people than the route can handle aka "crowding"
    There are limited permits available for the Thumb Rock camp that are issued by the climbing ranger. I think it’s less than 12 people at any time. There’s usually 4 or 5 tent platforms already chopped out from previous parties to choose from. Overcrowding hasn’t been an issue that I’m aware of but it sure could be if it wasn’t tightly regulated.

This is the first death on LR since 2014 when a party of 6 were swept away. They were camped between Thumb Rock and the summit (for some unknown reason).

Here’s a pretty good article about LR https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rainier-route/

The standard strategy for LR is to bivy at Thumb Rock, but there are very few protected spots there. The route is only "in" for about a month per year, and only about half of that month has decent enough weather for an attempt. Add in that is one of the "50 Classics" and you have a perfect scenario for "overcrowding". This issue is well known among local climbers. It also could have been a protective wall of choss above the bivy that fell on them. Either way, LR has an exceptionally high casualty rate for such an "easy" (fkt is 7 hours car to car) and popular climb.

This is the Everest thread can you knock it off with all the mountaineer chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Better than being squished in your sleep by a really fat chick.
    Booner would disagree.

The standard strategy for LR is to bivy at Thumb Rock, but there are very few protected spots there. The route is only "in" for about a month per year, and only about half of that month has decent enough weather for an attempt. Add in that is one of the "50 Classics" and you have a perfect scenario for "overcrowding". This issue is well known among local climbers. It also could have been a protective wall of choss above the bivy that fell on them. Either way, LR has an exceptionally high casualty rate for such an "easy" (fkt is 7 hours car to car) and popular climb.
    I haven't done the LR route, but I routinely go in and ski the Russell and the Flet from Mowich lk and stare up at the dirty bitch. Can you elaborate on who has done it in 7 hrs ??? car to car? From White River/Sunrise? Damn if that's true.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    There are limited permits available for the Thumb Rock camp that are issued by the climbing ranger. I think it’s less than 12 people at any time. There’s usually 4 or 5 tent platforms already chopped out from previous parties to choose from. Overcrowding hasn’t been an issue that I’m aware of but it sure could be if it wasn’t tightly regulated.

This is the first death on LR since 2014 when a party of 6 were swept away. They were camped between Thumb Rock and the summit (for some unknown reason).

Here’s a pretty good article about LR https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rainier-route/
    People ignore the permit regulations and rocks have struck people camped at Thumb Rock before. I've even heard stories of rocks passing through tents there, like bullets. A guy died 2015 after being forced to bivy on Liberty Cap after climbing LR, due to a storm. AFAIC, that's an LR death.

I haven't done the LR route, but I routinely go in and ski the Russell and the Flet from Mowich lk and stare up at the dirty bitch. Can you elaborate on who has done it in 7 hrs ??? car to car? From White River/Sunrise? Damn if that's true.
    http://slcsherpa.blogspot.com/2017/0...ar-to.html?m=1
    Same guy who did a sub 4 hour round trip on the disappointment cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    This is the Everest thread can you knock it off with all the mountaineer chat.
    I laughed
    You win 10 internets
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.