Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers. Try reading the comments in a mainstream publication's coverage of an avalanche death during a heliskiing or backcountry trip because they're going to look pretty similar to many of those in this thread.

If it compared Everest climbers to Adolf Hitler, this would have been the perfect Internet comment.

I'm pretty sure she did the multiday trek to Base Camp, which is very different from climbing the mountain itself. I doubt she had much internet access and was following the Everest news during that time. In any event, why shouldn't she celebrate reaching the objective or her trek? Should hikers not take photos of themselves on top of Half Dome because 2-3 people die every year climbing in Yosemite?
    I don't recall posting that pictures shouldn't be taken though I did express my gut response to seeing exhalation and celebratory jumping knowing there were dead laying around and by all accounts the place is littered with them and has been for years and years. Drawing on my own feelings, which is what we all do, I think I'd feel a bit more reverence.

<shrug>
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers.
    I have zero problem with mountaineers and have great admiration for all the real climbers out there. What I DO have a problem with is posers who have no clue what they're doing yet fancy themselves 'mountaineers' because they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and not just put their own lives at risk (that's fine, they're free to do that), but put at DIRECT risk the lives of other climbers and all the sherpas who they paid to shlep their sorry jong butts up and down the mountain. ...all for the selfie and social-media cred at the summit.

That recent viral photo of the long ass line at the peak, along with all the recently deceased, along with the overflowing trash and human waste, along with the now-trashed "base camp" area, is all a great illustration of everything that's wrong with these so-called "mountaineers" clogging up the mountain. Those doctors and lawyers who don't know what a crampon is seriously need to find another (preferably smaller) mountain to climb.

To your correlation with skiers, if you want to go down that road, what you're seeing happen on Everest would be like a lawyer taking a ski vacation for the first time, just took his first lesson where he learned how to pizza and french fry, and then demanding of his instructor, "OK! Now let's go ski the steepest couloir on the planet and you and your best ski instructor buds are taking me and all my friends down it!! All 100 of us at the same time too!"
    ...Yeah, someone's gonna die.

It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers.
    Mountaineers? hm.

Mandy Moore is apparently hanging at base camp

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I don't recall posting that pictures shouldn't be taken though I did express my gut response to seeing exhalation and celebratory jumping knowing there were dead laying around and by all accounts the place is littered with them and has been for years and years. Drawing on my own feelings, which is what we all do, I think I'd feel a bit more reverence.

<shrug>
    I don't think there are dead people laying around at basecamp.

And that jumping in the air Instagram style of picture is just fucking irritating anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Yeah, it's a sublime mixture of nihilism and stupidity. More or less the zeitgeist of our time.
    Nihilism and Narcissism has a better ring.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    thanks for pointing out tribal identity is big though, that's earth shattering
    Is "earth shattering" the standard for commenting in this thread?

AKB wanted to get all white knight and did in an ironically depersonalizing manner.
    What?

Aggressive smug douchebaggery is the requirement and you are in the club dude!

Standard appears to be non-mountaineers calling into question the motivation or credentials of people who have climbed a mountain..

It's kind of amusing.

As a mediocre mountaineer I have, for many reasons, absolutely no desire to climb Everest. But I can completely understand how someone would decide it was a goal they wanted to achieve themselves even if it was the only mountain they ever desired to climb.

Wow. I really pissed off dunfree. Sorry?

Wow. I really pissed off dunfree. Sorry?
    Maybe you just read way to fucking much into text on the internet?

anyways, I'm glad someone was thinking of the rich people and their feelings. no one ever thinks of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I don't think there are dead people laying around at basecamp.

And that jumping in the air Instagram style of picture is just fucking irritating anywhere.
    "Hands and legs of dead bodies have appeared at the base camp as well in the last few years," an NGO official told BBC News.

"We have noticed that the ice level at and around the base camp has been going down, and that is why the bodies are becoming exposed."

Another government official added that he had personally retrieved around 10 dead bodies recently.

Everest ice melt reveals dozens of dead bodies
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Well... hopefully Bromo can get some comfort from them being poorly intentioned hobbyists or rookies.

Or Hairdressers

People dying on Mt. Everest, what else is new

Y’all have read Megan’s article about Whitney from last year? Not the same but similar. I have talked to Dan (in article) about their experience. In the past 20-30 yrs, some things are unchanged (e.g., many inexperienced people getting permits, going for it, and putting many others at risk) and some things have changed substantially (e.g., social media).
    https://www.outsideonline.com/233091...bing-accidents

Re: guides (including sherpas) seeing/encountering death on Everest, my understanding is that this is an accepted component of guiding on the mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all have read Megan’s article about Whitney from last year? Not the same but similar. I have talked to Dan (in article) about their experience. In the past 20-30 yrs, some things are unchanged (e.g., many inexperienced people getting permits, going for it, and putting many others at risk) and some things have changed substantially (e.g., social media).

Re: guides (including sherpas) seeing/encountering death on Everest, my understanding is that this is an accepted component of guiding on the mtn.
    Lawyers and doctors who hike, climb, or ski Whitney are total assholes. Fuck those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ...climbers like...Reichard those guys were the real shit, the hard men
    Lou "Reichard" [sic] is a professor and scientist at Stanford University. Not to brag, but I co-authored a paper with him and members of his lab, like, I dunno, twenty (20) years ago. Super chill d00d. During a conference call, while there was some small talk still going on at the beginning, I asked him an questions on mountaineering and mentioned passages in David Brashere's (sp?) book that referred to him, which book I had recently read. Lou pretty much laughed off those passages. Anywho, he was a fun guy to talk to and work with. Pretty fucking smart, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Magazines like this one and writers like me are also part of the problem.
    No shit.

Climbing Mount Everest in 2019

By Svati Kirsten Narula
    Svati Kirsten Narula is the associate social media editor at Outside.

Summit day starts dark and early at Camp IV, around 26,000 feet on the South Col, where you’ll crawl out of your tent around midnight and set out for a long, slow walk.

After a few hours ascending a steep slab known as the Triangular Face, or Everest’s South Face, clipped to ropes and stepping over a mix of rock, ice, and snow, you’ll come to an outcropping known as the balcony—a popular spot to stop and replace oxygen bottles if needed, and try to take in some food and water.
    After reaching the top of Everest, you’ll beat a hasty retreat down the mountain back to Base Camp, where you won’t stay long. Expedition staff will break down and pack up your team’s Base Camp site while you hightail it to Kathmandu.

The end of Megan's article absolutely NAILS it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Michelson
    The solution, if there even is one, is self-regulation. It’s up to us to take ourselves out if we’re not up for the challenge. Sign up for a course; hike smaller, easier peaks first. And when you’re ready, hire a guide, go with a mentor, study the conditions and your route, have the right gear, and most important, know it’s always okay to turn around. <--- (YUP!!!)

As for me, I’m not sure I need to return to Mount Whitney. I’m enchanted by the Sierra, but after the day I had on Whitney, I no longer feel the need to top out on the highest point. It’s too crazy up there. I think I’ll go climb some lesser-known, lower-elevation peaks nearby instead. <---(bingo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    and making a joke of the sport.
    the elimination of non-core elements of the sport changed the sport.

66 years ago today (5/29/53) Ed Hillary & Tenzing Norgay summitted Mt. Everest. Hillary had left Kathmandu on March 10. They returned to Kathmandu in mid-late June. Lots of that time was not climbing, it was trekking, crossing rivers. One (white) expedition member almost drowned bathing in a river, at least one porter died. Just getting there was dangerous, arduous, and an experience itself.

the elimination of non-core elements of the sport changed the sport.
    The Yuge, near military, expedition style of the 1953 British Mount Everest attempt led to the withdrawal of the man who had been expected to lead it and was controversial among the climbing "community"

plus ça change.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Lou "Reichard" [sic] is a professor and scientist at Stanford University. Not to brag, but I co-authored a paper with him and members of his lab, like, I dunno, twenty (20) years ago. Super chill d00d. During a conference call, while there was some small talk still going on at the beginning, I asked him an questions on mountaineering and mentioned passages in David Brashere's (sp?) book that referred to him, which book I had recently read. Lou pretty much laughed off those passages. Anywho, he was a fun guy to talk to and work with. Pretty fucking smart, too.
    yeah there was an artical about him in outside that said he was some kind of scientist, somehow molecular biologist comes to mind apparently buddy could basicly hop off the lab stool and go climbing or at least thats how the author of the artical spun it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lawyers and doctors who hike, climb, or ski Whitney are total assholes. Fuck those guys.
    wait a minute i thot it was dentists we hate ?

you ever notice if you go on any hut trip there are always 2 doctors

must be so you can get a second opinion ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    The end of Megan's article absolutely NAILS it:
    Megan's a neighbor of mine and a superb writer. Definitely worth reading most anything she writes

mcski and I must run on the fringes of the same circles. Maybe someday we’ll meet. Knowing most of the people, her father figure story was eye opening....
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-29-2019 at 06:41 PM.