Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I'm bothered when Sherpas die.
    And porters...

I was friends with a sherpa that died on Everest. He was a rock star. Thousands wept.

I recall the mid (?)-80's scientific expedition to Everest to study the effects of high altitude on the body. One of the PIs (research-focused M.D.) was a guest lecturer in a college physiology course that i took. One of the major takeaways was the severe loss of cognition function, from coordination to critical thinking skills.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

"Any time I see a dead body I go back the way I came." T. Noah

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I'm bothered when Sherpas die.
    Something we actually agree on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    "Any time I see a dead body I go back the way I came." T. Noah
    Only the penitent man shall pass

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Could it be that mountaineers are actually witches?
    and warlocks you sexist piece of junk

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    well look who joined the crowd and jumping for joy among the dead:

Mandy Moore celebrates reaching Mount Everest base camp
    Pretty glad that I have no idea who that person is.

Survivor ? america's got talent ?

I haven't got a fucking clue either and she doesn't have enough names for Al literation
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I read something about the beauty of Alpinism and the code of helping others. I forget what it was, by Mallory or Muir ... the code of alpinism.
    Yeah, but crowds change the basic situation here. Once upon a time, when all you had was serious mountaineers on the peaks, and not that many of them either, rescues were unusual and there wasn't a huge chance your trip would be scuttled by having to pull someone else down the mountain. Additionally, the vast majority of the people up there were skilled enough to help you if the situation was reversed, and everyone knew there was a line beyond which it was too dangerous to expect someone to try to rescue you.

Now, especially at Everest, there are so many people on the mountain, and so many in trouble, that if you help everything someone needs help you essentially would never get a chance to climb the damn thing. Additionally, a huge chunk of these folks do not have the skills to try to help you if the situation is reversed.

So the math has kind of changed, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Veteran Climber, obviously. Here she is on Kilimanjaro.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l-exclusive-mandy-moore-climbed-mount-kilimanjaro.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	706.4 KB 
ID:	284120

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Does your theory apply to tits?
    I expect both tits to be relatively similar, so the view of one from the other should be damn good, but not better than the same view in reverse.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Name:  mmme.png
Views: 601
Size:  821.1 KB
    ***SPOILER*** She dies. They're already casting for the made for TV movie.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I didn't either - had to look her up. She's a singer, of what I don't know but evidently she has records. I knew she was some sort of celeb and that is what struck me. A celeb showing off on Everest. Don't know why I should care. Don't really. Kinda tired of it all.

Not to brag but Jim (and Lou) Whittaker is a family friend and was a mountaineering partner of my fathers (they developed REI together). I guess having known Jim my whole life and his accomplishments makes all these other people seem like posers to me.

When I was a kid I had pictures on my bedroom walls that Jim's wife Diana had taken of K2. Not your normal teen pin-ups but I loved to look at them. Much better than some teen heart-throb.

Despite my father's love of mountain climbing I could never do it - got a thing about heights and specifically standing near cliffs. Hiking, camping, back-packing into the wilderness and sleeping under a lean-to no problem just not mountain climbing.
    Last edited by KQ; 05-29-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Veteran Climber, obviously. Here she is on Kilimanjaro.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l-exclusive-mandy-moore-climbed-mount-kilimanjaro.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	706.4 KB 
ID:	284120
    Lynsey Dyer in the foreground?

I didn't either - had to look her up. She's a singer, of what I don't know but evidently she has records. I knew she was some sort of celeb and that is what struck me. A celeb showing off on Everest. Don't know why I should care. Don't really. Kinda tired of it all.

Not to brag but Jim (and Lou) Whittaker is a family friend and was a mountaineering partner of my fathers (they developed REI together). I guess having known Jim my whole life and his accomplishments makes all these other people seem like posers to me.

When I was a kid I had pictures on my bedroom walls that Jim's wife Diana had taken of K2. Not your normal teen pin-ups but I loved to look at them. Much better than some teen heart-throb.

Despite my father's love of mountain climbing I could never do it - got a thing about heights and specifically standing near cliffs. Hiking, camping, back-packing into the wilderness and sleeping under a lean-to no problem just not mountain climbing.
    i used to really dig those 1 hr shows on KCTS 9 with climbers like Whittaker, Roskelly, Reichard those guys were the real shit, the hard men
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd put my money on Mandy Moore having more climbing experience and better overall fitness than most of the schmos on the mountain.

https://www.rmiguides.com/himalaya/everest

^ Whittakers practically invented the type of guiding/expedition (and NP franchise) that was ruffling everyone's goose down though.

Plus that shady land deal with a NP park superintendent.

Morning Edition this morning was discussing the overcrowding on Everest problem with CEO of Global Rescue... a company that ..

"Global Rescue has been a leader and pioneer in the travel services industry since our founding in 2004. We provide the finest integrated medical, security, travel risk and crisis management services available anywhere, delivered by our teams of critical care paramedics, physicians, nurses and military special operations veterans. Our medical advisory and evacuation services include exclusive relationships with the Johns Hopkins Department of Emergency Medicine Division of Special Operations, Elite Medical Group and Partners HealthCare. Our track record has made us the chosen provider to government agencies and some of the world’s largest companies, universities, nonprofits and tour operators. Our mission is simple - to be there when it matters most."

Probably feeds the issue?

"Quick get Global Rescue on the sat phone"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    https://www.rmiguides.com/himalaya/everest

^ Whittakers practically invented the type of guiding/expedition (and NP franchise) that was ruffling everyone's goose down though.

Plus that shady land deal with a NP park superintendent.

Nobody's perfect. I know I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Vol View Post
    ***SPOILER*** She dies. They're already casting for the made for TV movie.
    so, they're going ghostbusters on the Everest movie that came out a few years ago and doing it again with women ?
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers. Try reading the comments in a mainstream publication's coverage of an avalanche death during a heliskiing or backcountry trip because they're going to look pretty similar to many of those in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Is anyone actually bothered by a handful of rich, entitled, assholes dying in the name of a selfish pursuit? This story is pretty much antithetical to a tragedy in my mind. The world will be a better place having a few less of these egomaniacs around. It's just a shame that these world class narcissists don't take their whole families up there. Good riddance.
    If it compared Everest climbers to Adolf Hitler, this would have been the perfect Internet comment.

I'm pretty sure she did the multiday trek to Base Camp, which is very different from climbing the mountain itself. I doubt she had much internet access and was following the Everest news during that time. In any event, why shouldn't she celebrate reaching the objective or her trek? Should hikers not take photos of themselves on top of Half Dome because 2-3 people die every year climbing in Yosemite?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I'm pretty sure she did the multiday trek to Base Camp, which is very different from climbing the mountain itself.
    Based on her Instagram feed I think you are correct.

I doubt she had much internet access
    there's apparently mobile internet on much of the route now https://ebctrekguide.com/internet-ac...base-camp-trek mobile telco & improved transport are a much bigger part of the change than guiding imo, but that's neither here nor there.

thanks for pointing out tribal identity is big though, that's earth shattering

It's funny to see skiers get so unabashedly judgmental about mountaineers. Try reading the comments in a mainstream publication's coverage of an avalanche death during a heliskiing or backcountry trip because they're going to look pretty similar to many of those in this thread.
    ^ Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I mean, say what you want about the tenets of traditional mountaineering dude. At least it's an ethos.
    which is the joke - half of the comments here are about the seen divergence of climbing everest from presumed "traditional mountaineering". not that climbing mountains is stupid, that standing in line with 200 other fucking people is, but AKB wanted to get all white knight and did in an ironically depersonalizing manner.