Yeah, zip line or GTFO.
    Pssshawww

Space suits and personal dirigibles clearly a more viable plan

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    good art. from G&M

"In the dark, headlamps provided the only light. The temperature dipped to minus 35 C. Within 20 minutes, the group passed two Sherpa guides as they lowered a man down the mountain on a stretcher.

They soon passed another climber who was delirious and screaming. Higher still, they stepped over a dead body someone had rigged up to a safety anchor. At another point, Mr. Saikaly implored an exhausted climber to turn back."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...adly-climbing/

Sounds like a fun day
    Basically, hell. You have to continually choose a selfish goal over helping someone else not die and infinite variations of that dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Why not go all the way and build a mountain coaster!
    Perhaps ten (10) years ago, the Chinese talked about engineering a paved road to (or close to) the summit of Everest, so that all of their people could visit the top. Something to do with China being the pinnacle of the World bullshit (they're into that kinda childish symbolism).

Anywho, if they ever do construct this highway (Get it? "Highway"), I'm sure there'll be a few openings for bus drivers.
    °”rale, vato!

Although a private tunnel up to camp 4 would really improve the experience.

saikaly dude goes there 8 times telling others not to go
    takes four others to summit to show anyone can do it

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    saikaly dude goes there 8 times telling others not to go
    takes four others to summit to show anyone can do it
    yes agree its fair bit of pot and kettle. My first thought I didn't think being a doc filmmaker brought in enough $ to make climbing Everest something you do many times. But he is getting others to pay so he can go lots and show anyone can do it.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

understandably Laurie and i did not discuss this subject but apparently the 82 Canex to everest expedition was way in debt so I have heard > once they paid it off by smuggling hash in the handles of ice axes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I used to like watching those 1 hr climbing expeditions to everest on PBS 9, that was the real thing or at least it looked like the real thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Highest I've ever gone is 11K+ on Rainier.

Also been to the top of Huayna Picchu which is just under 9K.

I'm good now.
    Highest I've ever been I was stuck on the couch for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    lot4

LoT4 is not a good place for couch lock, much like those last few steps up Everest, at the end of the day, each man is only accountable to his self. i guess what i’m trying to say is,
    don’t get couch lock on Everest, literally.

Venus fly trap

"Once you get above about 25,000 feet, your body just can't metabolize the oxygen," Grayson Schaffer, editor of Outside magazine, told NPR. "Your muscles start to break down. You start to have fluid that builds up around your lungs and your brain. Your brain starts to swell. You start to lose cognition. Your decision making starts to become slow. And you start to make bad decisions.

"And all of this is happening in the face of, you know, each person trying to sort of reach their ultimate dream."

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Venus fly trap
    "Once you get above about 25,000 feet, your body just can't metabolize the oxygen," Grayson Schaffer, editor of Outside magazine, told NPR. "Your muscles start to break down. You start to have fluid that builds up around your lungs and your brain. Your brain starts to swell. You start to lose cognition. Your decision making starts to become slow. And you start to make bad decisions."

The part about not being able to metabolize oxygen is BS.* The problem is not enough oxygen, not inability to use it. The rest is true, although the level at which the body starts breaking down the longer you stay is closer to 20K.

*Maybe the author meant not being able to transport oxygen--oxygen transport across the alveolar-capillary membrane is driven by the partial pressure of oxygen, which is lower at altitude. That's different than being able to metabolize it, but I guess to a magazine editor it's all the same.

Why not take more oxygen? A big part of the problem of climbing Everest is logistical--getting enough food, fuel, oxygen, and camping gear to the high camp to support a summit attempt in a short window of time. As you increase the amount of stuff you take, a greater and greater proportion of the load is used getting the summit supply up high until they reach the point where you use it all up getting it there--no surplus for the summit. Kind of like trying to take a rocket ship to Mars--almost all the thrust of the rocket is spent just to launch its fuel

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    LoT4 is not a good place for couch lock, much like those last few steps up Everest, at the end of the day, each man is only accountable to his self. i guess what iím trying to say is,
    donít get couch lock on Everest, literally.
    Does the chocolatier bear any accountability?

dunno if this was posted already but https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/27/asia/...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    dunno if this was posted already but https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/27/asia/...ntl/index.html
    "His family said he died doing what he loved." Of course.

Seems like a lot of the folks dying are way too old for Everest. Unfortunately, for those of us who refuse to accept the fact that we're way past our athletic prime, we often find out the hard way.

I wonder how much previous higher altitude climbing experience a lot of these folks have. Seems like a prerequisite for attempting Everest should be previously climbing about 20K. There's a strong genetic component to altitude tolerance. People without it tend to shut down their respirations when their CO2 gets too low and their blood pH gets too high, regardless of how hypoxic they are. People with tolerance are able to continue to hyperventilate with very high pH's and low CO2's so they can move more oxygen. These are two distinct populations of people--double bell curve. While acclimitization helps it can't completely overcome the handicap of the wrong kind of metabolism.

Have the remains been beheaded? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    *Maybe the author meant not being able to transport oxygen--oxygen transport across the alveolar-capillary membrane is driven by the partial pressure of oxygen, which is lower at altitude. That's different than being able to metabolize it, but I guess to a magazine editor it's all the same.
    That "partial pressure of oxygen" bit holds some grim implications for my nitrogen filled tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Does the chocolatier bear any accountability?
    I would have LOVED a chocolate bear for easter instead of a fucking chocolate bunny.
    °”rale, vato!

I realized I wouldnít go if it was free at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I would have LOVED a chocolate bear for easter instead of a fucking chocolate bunny.
    think he was referring to fat kid from florida and his contribution of the 420 rich chocolate space invaders
    he supplied to participants at 17BBI@Alpental.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    "His family said he died doing what he loved." Of course.

Seems like a lot of the folks dying are way too old for Everest. Unfortunately, for those of us who refuse to accept the fact that we're way past our athletic prime, we often find out the hard way.

I wonder how much previous higher altitude climbing experience a lot of these folks have. Seems like a prerequisite for attempting Everest should be previously climbing about 20K. There's a strong genetic component to altitude tolerance. People without it tend to shut down their respirations when their CO2 gets too low and their blood pH gets too high, regardless of how hypoxic they are. People with tolerance are able to continue to hyperventilate with very high pH's and low CO2's so they can move more oxygen. These are two distinct populations of people--double bell curve. While acclimitization helps it can't completely overcome the handicap of the wrong kind of metabolism.
    My head was shaking reading about the 63yo US climber that had HAPE or HACE at camp 4 and went down to recoup lower and go back up even higher to summit. Only to die of it on the way down from the summit. I mean, his body told him to fuck off. Why is that ignored? Feel bad for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Have the remains been beheaded? Asking for a friend.
    Maybe that's the solution? Just bring down the heads.