Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Any creative writers here? Iceman I think? Anyone else?

I spew some drivel into a laptop when stuck in airports/hotels/ etc for fun and kid myself it may be a second career some day (cringing for you).

Aaanyway- know this is the wrong spot but I figured it would get more traction here.

Would love to read some of your stuff and happy for feedback on mine if that sounds fun-

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

IIRC spats wrote a book.

So that's what you've been doing. Writing would be a decent career if you made some cash at it but it really sucks as a hobby. If you don't handle rejection well it's gonna be a hobby. But I mean I would read something if you sent it to me as long as it was fairly short, I'll pm you my email.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    IIRC spats wrote a book.
    Whatever happened to that dude? The book sounded...different. But he's a different sort of fellow.

Got any stories about shoes?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Whatever happened to that dude?
    Probably dead from gluten deficiency.

Or by Austrian economics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I write creatively, but I am not a creative writer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Or, pantsuits?

Tonghands is a guy who should write more.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    They are ALL about shoes- sheesh!

So that's what you've been doing. Writing would be a decent career if you made some cash at it but it really sucks as a hobby. If you don't handle rejection well it's gonna be a hobby. But I mean I would read something if you sent it to me as long as it was fairly short, I'll pm you my email.
    Very very generous of you! I’d like to say I have a thick skin but we shall see, ha ha.

I write every week.

If you want something riveting I will send you my latest work, its a stormwater plan for a 10K sq ft mansion in the Y/C. I can't wait to see how this ends.

I don't think writing "sucks" as a hobby, so long as you realize that it is only a hobby.
    Same can be said for political punditry.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Well I like writing on here (obviously). I like to write in general. But I guess what I meant was finding out that what you thought might be a career is instead really a fucking difficult, frustrating and depressing hobby isn't exactly optimal.

If you're the kind of person who feels comfortable selling yourself I'm sure it's better. But I've always been reticent about that, preferring to do my thing and trusting that people will recognize. It has always worked for me. But in writing that does not happen. The way the industry is set up it basically can't happen. You gotta sell yourself, and basically I'd rather get teeth pulled. So, it's a shitty hobby for me at least.

A few times a year somebody will buy my shit off Amazon and contact me, tell me they liked it, and that feels good. But not good enough to sit down and spend time writing more of it, at least not lately.

turning twilight slash fiction into shitty million selling bondage novels for horny housewives seemed to work well.

most of the creative professions seem to now require self-selling.

Hoping this evolves/devolves they way threads do when people ask random internet people for help photoshopping images of their kids..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Whatever happened to that dude? The book sounded...different. But he's a different sort of fellow.
    He gave me a copy if you want to borrow it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I write every week.

If you want something riveting I will send you my latest work, its a stormwater plan for a 10K sq ft mansion in the Y/C. I can't wait to see how this ends.
    sounds dirty

Wait, what? People posting on TGR can actually write???

As a former journalist (not a creative writer, though many of my interviews and pieces were somewhat creative: I ate ramen with Digital Underground and wrote about it and watched HK martial arts films with RZA and GZA of Wu-Tang Clan and wrote about that, amongst other things) I have always been amazed at the general lack of basic writing skills displayed by most folks who post here.

It ain't that hard to read what you type before you hit "Post".

But I digress.

Spats is still alive and well. There are recent pix of him in the Tahoe thread in the General Skiing Forum.

Iceman, am intrigued by the fact that you wrote stuff and actually have it for sale on Amazon.

Also, there was some cat on here last summer that wrote a ski heist novel and then posted it (I never read it, though).

Anyway, carry on.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I have the creative itch. Lately I’ve scratched it by writing occasionally for nyskiblog. https://nyskiblog.com/author/brownski/
    It would be cool to earn money that way and I would not feel odd about selling myself but I’m a little too busy selling other stuff as a career to put much time into selling me. Still considering pursuing it as a sort of act 2 but not really sure how I would go about it.

I enjoyed that book...it was super weird.

There are a few people on here with books for sale on Amazon.

I'd buy an ice+yetiman book

We should totally drive around in a corvette solving mysteries and getting in adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    We should totally drive around in a corvette solving mysteries and getting in adventures.
    You could title it "Ogdens I have known"

Having spent the bulk of the late '80s, '90s, and early Oughts freelancing, I will echo that you really have to sell yourself. When I wrote freelance full-time I literally spent 2-3 weeks out of the month just coming up with ideas and pitching them to editors. Then I spent the remaining week tracking down the people I needed to speak to for whatever piece had been picked up. But even then it was still spec until it was actually printed. Then you spent the following month tracking down the $$$ owed to you by the various publications.
    I know that the publishing (i.e. book) world is a bit different and that the landscape has severely changed what with self-publishing and whatnot.
    Folks keep urging me to pick the pen back up, but honestly it doesn't pay much these days (not that it really ever paid that much back in the day unless you scored a Rolling Stone or Newsweek or New Yorker piece).
    Most authors I have interviewed over the years who were successful (Andrew Vachss, Clive Barker, and others) always said that the real money is in getting optioned by Hollywood for TV and film.
    But glad to see there are some literate mofos lurking within the forums here.

As others have mentioned, you have to really love writing and then be tough skinned enough to deal with rejection. But, again, the whole self-publishing/Internet aspect of things these days has really changed the landscape, where you can publish your own stuff and let your audience find you (and hopefully one of the publishing houses then finds you and picks you up...but methinks as a smaller writer you would probably make more money on your own rather than with a publishing house...not sure what their deals are, but I know quite a few musicians who make WAY more money self-releasing their albums than they ever did when they were on a Major record label...gotta assume that the book world ain't much different...)
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en