Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Sisters sucks. There’s more drama per capita than any US town other than Washington DC. Coyotes feast on cats & small dogs. Cougars and bears roam the streets. The deer are so mean they curb stomp Rottweilers.
    Sisters sounds like the play.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Ashland is completely different than the rest of Oregon. In a good way. Ashland is a great choice but make no mistake. You are relatively isolated 300 miles from Portland and 300 miles to SF. I could easily live there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Word to Ashland... Often underrated.
    Ashland wasn't really on their radar. However, I've heard a couple good things from folks on here as well as others that make it an intriguing option.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    La Grand to Baker City area has a lot to offer: community college, decent hospitals, fantastic recreation access in Wallowas and Elkhorns.

It is more rednecky than hip, and lots of Mormons, but there are open minded people too.
    Thanks, Buster. I value your read on both locations and community vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    My first experience in OR was a road trip from Seattle area back to Idaho (the long way) and we popped into OR along the way stopping in Hood River.
    I really like the Hood River area but I've never spent more than trips passing through. As far as location goes, I think it's a great combination of close to mountains, eastern OR/high desert, while still being not too far from a major airport (PDX).

Of all the above places, I can see Hood River still being a top contender...
    I'm actually with them this weekend trying to better understand what exactly it is that they're after. I actually made a similar drive as you, GG, a few years ago. I think the Baker City area would be a good contender, but they would really need to think through the airport proximity.

How's the drive from HR to Portland in the winter? Does it become a total hockey rink? Do they shut it down for considerable periods at a time? I'm curious more than anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    How's the drive from HR to Portland in the winter? Does it become a total hockey rink? Do they shut it down for considerable periods at a time? I'm curious more than anything here.
    It can get crappy when the classic PDX ice storm happens; it can get shut down for a couple of days, but not really long stretches of time.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hood River / similar Oregon towns info

Depends on the year, but it shuts down almost every winter for some period of time. This winter it closed several times, once for a couple days. It can be a dicey drive in any type of weather because of the shipping trucks hauling past you. A mag on here, SirVicSmasher, was stuck on 84 for over a day this winter on a road trip back from UT!

My wife’s parents downsized, sold their house and moved into a mobile home in Seaside Oregon. They were very happy living there, even though it gets a little crowded during the summer. It was a nice place for their kids to want to visit and bring the grandkids.

Ashland would also be high on my list of places to retire in Oregon. Had some friends who lived there and always enjoyed the place.

My neighbors retired to Florence OR and are deliriously happy.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Depends on the year, but it shuts down almost every winter for some period of time. This winter it closed several times, once for a couple days. It can be a dicey drive in any type of weather because of the shipping trucks hauling past you. A mag on here, SirVicSmasher, was stuck on 84 for over a day this winter on a road trip back from UT!
    Yeah, it can be a very shitty drive, especially in the dark. Even in daytime when it's above freezing, heavy rain will result in deepish puddles across the road in a couple of spots, and going through those puddles is spooky at highway speeds in traffic.

I'm sure there are times it would be easier to take the long way around - take 35 south to Mt. Hood, then take 26 into Portland. 26 is where the ski traffic goes, so there's no guarantees that way either, and it adds about 45 minutes to the trip, but at least there are options if 84 is closed in the Gorge.

^ that is my take on the roads I have been on in Oregon between 5 and the coast. I would avoid any of the wet logging towns. Coast was nice but traffic is not going away. I am in the retirement group so look at places. Have a friend in Sisters who likes it. However he thinks he got a deal on his house. Know a few people who retired to Hood River who are wealthy and smarter than me so it is probably ok.. I would avoid anything on Interstate 5 the homeless hwy.
    off your knees Louie

We spent the weekend in Portland exploring some of the options discussed in this thread.

Friday, we explored some neighborhoods in Portland proper. Multnomah Village, Hillsdale, and Sellwood were all cool in their own right, but I think these would all be a bit too urban for my parents.

Yesterday, we did an 84 to 35 to 26 loop spending most of our time in Hood River and Parkdale. We enjoyed both places for very different reasons. HR has a self contained vibrant community vibe, while Parkdale is more bucolic and slower paced. I can see my parents enjoying Parkdale with its easy access to HR, Hood, and Portland.

I appreciate the insight that everyone has provided.

We spent the weekend in Portland exploring some of the options discussed in this thread.

Friday, we explored some neighborhoods in Portland proper. Multnomah Village, Hillsdale, and Sellwood were all cool in their own right, but I think these would all be a bit too urban for my parents.

Yesterday, we did an 84 to 35 to 26 loop spending most of our time in Hood River and Parkdale. We enjoyed both places for very different reasons. HR has a self contained vibrant community vibe, while Parkdale is more bucolic and slower paced. I can see my parents enjoying Parkdale with its easy access to HR, Hood, and Portland.

I appreciate the insight that everyone has provided.
    Have they thought about Yamhill county - towns like Amity, Carlton, Dundee, McMinneville? Beautiful country out there and lots of small unincorporated towns if they really want to get out and away.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Have they thought about Yamhill county - towns like Amity, Carlton, Dundee, McMinneville? Beautiful country out there and lots of small unincorporated towns if they really want to get out and away.
    Especially if they like pinot noir wine.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Especially if they like pinot noir wine.
    Well there is that but also a lot of other farming that goes on down there and in general nice quiet little towns.

Pinot Noir? How come it's white?
    Doesn't noir mean dark?

Don't ask questions like that in wine country.
    They'll think you're a moron.