Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quit drinking on January 1st. Biggest takeaway is the sleeping, can not get over how much better it is. No anxiety associated with hangovers, way more money in my account, clear skin and eyes. Brain haze is gone. I’m not going back, it’s too good without it. Quit burning two weeks ago, just eating edibles now. Feeling fit, y’all.
    Good thread KQ!
    crab in my shoe mouth

when I used to go out I knew everyone I saw
    now I go out alone if I go out at all
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I did two years alcohol-free a couple years ago. The sleep improvement is truly extraordinary and quitting - especially frequent beers - certainly contributes to some weight loss.

But I like my 5pm-er and my wine with dinner and there's room in the rest of my life for a little self-induced afternoon fuzziness now, which there wasn't then.

THC makes me feel like shit now, though I had my time with it in younger days. CBD tincture for anxiety that is way down these days.

Body does feel a little different after 60 fo sho when it comes to exertion - recreational or otherwise.

Sex is still of great interest, and may be even more fun than it used to be. I'm actually enjoying this part of my life for many reasons but sometimes I do feel mortality. It seemed way farther away at 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I used to care, but things have changed

https://youtu.be/L9EKqQWPjyo

Thread title is a favorite of mine
    crab in my shoe mouth

Well. I know for myself, it has a lot to do with the current state of politics. It's hard to give a damn and think about the future when things seem so hopeless. Hopefully we can wake from this nightmare soon.

I’m pretty successful at not giving a fuck, but not completely.

Hangovers and sleep problems put me on a two-drink maximum (usually just one) years ago. I like one at 5 pm (it’s 4:50 as I write this ). Never been much of a day-drinker. And because of job random testing, I cut way, way back on weed, now usually just an indica dose at bedtime, except for fishing. I like to get high for fly fishing. Any/all that is subject to change for certain rare occasions. One thing is that I like a nice daytime hydrocodone buzz, so I have to be pretty careful when I have a source.

But the best part of this thread is what a bunch of old fuckers you guys are. Make me feel better about my own advanced chronological status.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I am 61, how that happened still baffles me.
    I am the same age, time sure flew by. Still having fun though.

I don't drink much. Djongo and MiCol both brought over a 12-pack each, so 24 beers total. And that was 6 weeks ago and 14 of them are still in my fridge.

I get high every night. Don't smoke though, bad for the lungs. I brew up some decaf tea and put some Indica oil in it. I sleep well.

For quite awhile a maggot on here had an excellent source of clean acid. I micro-dosed every day and it really made my job interesting. I got a huge promotion so it obviously improved my work performance. Unfortunately that mag lost his source. I would definitely micro-dose again if I had a source.

As far as other life activities as I age, I have noticed that I read more short stories, and fewer novels, than I used to. Not sure why.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm cantankerous as a motherfucker. I'm gonna get my ass kicked one of these days for it. Oh well.
    Almost did last summer. Still learning to let shit pass. Too old for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I get more exited to mountain bike than ski these days. Still baffled about how that happened.
    Yeah that was strange to me too but I accepted it. I still can't figure out why it happened though.

I was really hoping that I wouldn't give damn about sex at this point, it would make things so much easier. But nope, still a slave to my body.
    It does make things easier but it's the strangest thing. Doesn't stop me from enjoying looking at great looking women though, in fact I think I enjoy looking more now than I did in the past.

I'm cantankerous as a motherfucker. I'm gonna get my ass kicked one of these days for it. Oh well.
    I'm just waiting for it to happen. I just can't seem to help being an asshole anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Quit drinking on January 1st. Biggest takeaway is the sleeping, can not get over how much better it is. No anxiety associated with hangovers, way more money in my account, clear skin and eyes. Brain haze is gone. I’m not going back, it’s too good without it. Quit burning two weeks ago, just eating edibles now. Feeling fit, y’all.
    Good thread KQ!
    Really? Hmm...

I don't get to smoke nearly as often as I used to. For about 30 years I was a multi times a day toker but that faded and then I lost my great income job and pretty much stopped unless I was with friends. Now that it's legal in Mass I pick some up when I'm there because it's easy but I don't seem to miss it when I run out.

I rarely drink more than one beer or glass of wine but have been thinking lately that I should cut down further, it's bound to help me drop some poundage. Since having a heart attack in December my diet has changed dramatically though which is a good thing and my weight has stabilized. Hopefully now that I'm back to riding a few times a week that comes down another 15-20 and I'll be content.

After being a smoker for nearly 30 years one day I just stopped and haven't really missed it since although my wife still does and when she has one in the car it does kind of makes me want one but then I think about it for a second and can't figure out why I want one.

I also used to live for live music but now I enjoy it nearly as much in a webcast and I'll bop around the house with headphones on, it's just easier and more pleasant than in a crowded smoky bar or arena. All of these things are weird but I'm coming to terms with it.

Wait ...... have we resurrected EPICski?!?!?!?

KQ: you seemed to have mistaken "caring" with not giving a fuck i.e. youth. I would argue that you care much more now and are the better for it. Growing up?

68 now; only started serious drinking a few years ago. Was inspired by my wife's uncle who drank 6 0z of vodka every night until he died at 97. So I've got another glorious 20+ yes of perceptive buzz. As long as I drink enough water with my alcohol sleepin's been just fine.

My mind feels like 25, my body feels like 75 and my DL says I am 50 so it all averages out.
    Actually, I know I "think" older cuz stuff just doesn't bother me the way it used to. I feel like I am getting old and boring which isn't far from the truth but it doesn't really bother me. I still get out and play and work is physical, thus the pain.

The thing is, when will I get to the point where I can no longer do the things my brain thinks I can do?

^^^anybody who hasn't heard that, should.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm learning I guess but I'm still a big strong very excitable Irishman. With something of an anger problem. I may just have to roll the dice and take my lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

What has time changed about you that has you mystified?
    I used to be pretty driven and organized.
    Now it’s like, meh...it’s a shitshow but I just can’t get it together...meh.
    Just mustering the basic will to live uses way too much of my resource...it’s like my software has a virus and everything is running slow and the battery gets all hot and drains super fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'm learning I guess but I'm still a big strong very excitable Irishman. With something of an anger problem. I may just have to roll the dice and take my lumps.
    I supposed when you use the word ‘cantankerous’ to describe your attitude, then most young bulls just think you are too old to take seriously, and the risk of a real ass-woopin is kinda distant over a verbal or courtesy faux pas.

Then I read your second quote, and I sort of want to see the movie anyway.

What's turning out to be a slight problem is, I'm not scared.

Shit pisses me off and I just say it. In the day I might have just tried to let it slide but fukkit I'm running out of time to set these assholes straight., That's what I mean by cantankerous. I need to chill or I will eventually get whooped. I know it. I think it's worth the risk though.

At one point, not giving a fuck used to mean yelling and giving the finger.
    Now it's more a turning in reflection and exit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

See, I'm just the opposite. I used to think, hey, they'll learn. And I'd walk away. Now I'm like these morons ain't learning shit, it's about time somebody taught em.

Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads.

If y'all think it's depressing not being able to tolerate alcohol like you used to--my kid can't tolerate alcohol like he used to--that's how old I am. I think I drink more than he does, which isn't much. Every time I go to his house the stash of liquor on his countertop is bigger, mostly nearly full. He likes to buy alcohol, try alcohol, but not drink it in any quantity. When he and his friends visit us in Truckee they bring tons of beer--they're all good ex frat boys--and leave most of it.

Lack of alcohol tolerance comes in part from age but a lot of it comes from not drinking. The more you drink the more revved up your liver is to detoxify it (until you trash the liver; that's another story). When you start drinking less for social reasons your liver loses some of its ability to metabolize the ethanol and especially to detoxify the bad metabolites, so you start feeling shitty when you drink, which leads you to drink less--you see where this is going.

I mainly have a beer or wine with meals, a few times a week at most--for the taste, if I didn't get high I'd prefer it. I think I get more talky and sociable so maybe I should drink more

Cannabis I use to help me sleep, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back to sleep--and that's most common if I drank that evening. Being stoned during the day seems like a waste of time to me; anyway, I have Netflix to waste time with now.

The only drug I ever really enjoyed was LSD and there's no way I'd go near that these days. Oh, and the one time I huffed Freon, which turns out to be an exceptionally bad idea, but I didn't know that at the time.

I've grown to appreciate the fact that if I need something to live my life, anything, it should go away.

I don't like being a slave, I like even fucked up lucidity. But it's not a habit or a need anymore.

I can see as clearly as I want now. Relationships included, which was a hudge part.

I still care. I would be fooling myself to admit otherwise. And along the same lines as others, I get more and more to the point that a holy whooping is needed instead of a turned cheek to basic 20th century mores. But I also have a 6yo who takes great pleasure at tweaking my emerging grey beard hair. So I think of that and dial it back.

The intoxicants and their relationship to my system are changes as well. I like beer too much. Real beer. High octane euro brew. And whiskey. And good vodka and good tequila. Booze haunts my family, so this concerns me a bit. Not that I consume more than before and functional (if that is even a correct term considering alcohol) but that I consume more than is good, despite OG’s support of the evil liver. Weed works, but that relationship is so much different that the booze. Zoomers in the moment, hell ya. Love me a good music festival with grounded fungi.
    I mostly survive by living in low density population areas. I can function quite well in the city, but a voice in the back of my head foretells some sort of doom. That voice has saved me in the middle of nowhere, so can see a way to deny it otherwise.
    And shit always changes, whether I welcome it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    And shit always changes, whether I welcome it or not.
    I think this is the take-home. The key is to be there while it does.

The 7 bottles of man--milk, apple juice, Coke, beer, wine, whiskey, prune juice.