Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    I find this thread to be positive, we are not getting younger. I’m just trying to hold on to what I got. 54 years old, I want to stay after it for another 10 years. After that, I’ll be content with a few ebikes and skiing nothing but early morning groomers. Not drinking or smoking goes a long way in helping to achieve that goal, now if I can just lay off the sugar. I love cookies and pretty much anything at the local bakery!
    Had a physical yesterday. BMI is 22.23, O2 saturation is 98%, resting heart rate, which they had to check 3 times, with two different devices was 48!

Keep on keeping on like a bird that flew
    Same here. Quit drinking, quit smoking, but can't put the sugar down. One bite and it is on.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/c...r-pan-syndrome

“I don’t know what happened. The last thing I remember, I was a bright-eyed, bushy tailed 18-year-old checking into the dorms at Fort Lewis College in Durango. Next thing I know, I’m waking up as a hairy 31-year-old smelling like stale beer and neoprene. My joints ache and I can’t remember anything. What the fuck happened?”
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Apparently he went kayaking.
    watch out for snakes

Jeebus. give it a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/c...r-pan-syndrome

“I don’t know what happened. The last thing I remember, I was a bright-eyed, bushy tailed 18-year-old checking into the dorms at Fort Lewis College in Durango. Next thing I know, I’m waking up as a hairy 31-year-old smelling like stale beer and neoprene. My joints ache and I can’t remember anything. What the fuck happened?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

fuck you i won't do what you tell me

I used to care, but things have changed

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    As an FYI for any middle age people, of which it appears are most of us, the tinnitus, which I have, can also be increased by stuff like Advil. So the irony is that as I need more anti-inflammatories to do what I want, the result is increased ringing.
    " Aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) are known to cause ringing in the ears." https://www.goodrx.com/blog/these-11...g-in-the-ears/
    YMMV
    Vibes.

I’m positive mine came from meds. It’s been tough getting used to this.

I don’t push myself anymore. Even swimming, my neck is jacked from doing too many pull ups a few yrs back, and now hurts from breathing, so I barely swim now, but mix it in with shorter bike rides etc.

Most people would never believe that just taking Advil they could jack their hearing the rest of their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Cono Este; 06-03-2019 at 06:03 AM.

I have no reason to doubt mine is from the hundreds upon hundreds of concerts. During the hey day, we were going to up 10 or so a month. Heavy and loud in small spaces. Plus load music in cars and just whenever possible.
    I guess I can blame some on the "medication" at said shows as well.

My tinnitus is from having a loud guitar amp aimed at my left ear 4-5 nights a week, 4 hours a night for a few too many years. I think....

Sorry, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Vibes.

I’m positive mine came from meds. It’s been tough getting used to this.

I don’t push myself anymore. Even swimming, my neck is jacked from doing too many pull ups a few yrs back,
    This is what made my tinnitus go away. If you can find a local chiro who practices the Blair Technique, might be worth a shot. Doesn't work for all but "30 percent of patients report 90 percent improvement." I am so grateful to not be dealing with it anymore. Vibes to those who are.

https://blairchiropractic.com/tinnitus-neck-connection/

Going on nearly 2 years without booze at this point. Started on a whim to get a bit healthier physically as well as mentally. Get along fine still in social settings, interestingly enough no interest whatsoever in drinking anymore.

Damn...tinnitus; definitely no joke.

The high frequency sinewave of screeching began after a two week bout of the flu that send me into a state of bed bound disfunction for two weeks. After a business week's worth of days of barely having enough energy to get outta bed to use the facilities, figured it was serious and hit the hospital, got a bunch of tests done, doc prescribed antibiotics. Somewhere between start of flu and end of the drug treatment, the ringing became apparent, got louder and louder and began to serious affect the old mental state and the capacity to fall asleep. It took almost a few months to get my physical fitness and s.o.p. back but the ringing persisted, my sleep quantity/quality took a nosedive. A downward spiral of shortening sleep hours per night...6,5,4,3 down to an average of 2 hours a night for over a month. The ringing was so loud, it pretty much became all consuming and was almost impossible to distract myself and was overwhelmed with growing chronic anxiety. Finally admitted that I was fawked and after unsuccessfully trying a bunch of 'natural' stuff, went on sleeping pills just to get back to a more normal sleep pattern. Found success with it but the tradeoff of 'cottonhead' for waking hours was a bitch.

Tried the chiropractic route with no success. It did help some pre exiting spinal issues so at least there's that.

Fallout: Can't enjoy the silence. Pretty much have to listen to music/podcast for outdoor activities that are too 'quiet'...ski touring, hiking, mushroom picking etc....'cause the ringing over rides natural sounds and pierces the silence especially during breaks. Still have to have white noise or some soothing chill music running if i'm not dead tired to fall asleep. A purring cat by my head helps too. I could go on, but might as well just end it with; etc.... To put a number on how much it's degraded my general feeling of quality of life, I'd say a good 30 percent.

One thing i've noticed over time, (it's been three years now) is there are days or periods of the day where the high frequency screech eases to a loud whooshing white noise. I cherish those periods of time... Tried to find some correlation with any distinct changes in external daily environmental inputs...none found. Random. Seems like a bit of progress for the better, so fingers crossed for the long term...white noise whooshing is tolerable in silence...the high frequency screech...not so much.

Sincere empathic vibes to those of suffer the same.
    Master of mediocrity.

Darn, that sounds rough. Hope it gets better for ya.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Darn, that sounds rough. Hope it gets better for ya.
    I know, right? After reading his description, I will never complain about mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I know, right? After reading his description, I will never complain about mine.
    My ears ring, at least I think they do. Doesn't sound anything like ^that but yeah I hear something all the time however I've never not heard it as far as I can recall so it's just baseline for me.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I didn't really notice mine until you said something.
    My own fault for clicking.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I didn't really notice mine until you said something.
    My own fault for clicking.
    Did you hear a ringing or was it more of a clicking sound?

Damn...didn't think about the trigger my cathartic rant would cause...to the folks here wiser than I, should i delete or edit to include a trigger warning? I'm Canadian and an apologist so feel compelled to ask.
    Master of mediocrity.

Did you hear a ringing or was it more of a clicking sound?
    Mine is like a fluctuating ring I guess. Like a higher pitched drone of crickets.
    Sometimes I have the more whooshing kinda sound but most often its the first.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Damn...didn't think about the trigger my cathartic rant would cause...to the folks here wiser than I, should i delete or edit to include a trigger warning? I'm Canadian and an apologist so feel compelled to ask.
    Justins cough repented many sins of Canada.

NSFW language trigger warning.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the snowflakes should know the risks inherent here
    lol, no clue. I rarely leave the safe confines of tech talk.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    padded room is the octagon
    Thunderdome!

I used to care a lot about our degrading environment, and get depressed about what a shithole we are leaving for our kids.
    However, I simply couldn’t take the constant deluge of bad news...I have had to take a more ‘buddhist’ approach, or I was going to go crazy.
    Now I focus on just how incredible mountain biking has gotten around the world, and how much I enjoy sharing that with my kiddo.
    Maybe being an ostrich is making me a little bit of an asshole, but I had to find some peace.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

agree- I wonder how to balance valid activism with also enjoying our short time on this marble

cliche maybe but works for me

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”
    ― Edward Abbey
    skid luxury

Thunderdome!
    2 menz enter one man leaves
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BPhhYHaqSu+%9zNgCWXrBA.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	286460
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    agree- I wonder how to balance valid activism with also enjoying our short time on this marble

cliche maybe but works for me

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards.”
    ― Edward Abbey
    One of my friends (JB) posted that exact passage on FB this morning. I think it’s a message.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident