Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

29” Carbon Wheelset Recommendations

I’m considering putting a carbon wheelset on my Yeti SB 5.5. I’ve looked at e13, Reynolds, and a couple others. I need boost spacing and want a 30mm inner diameter. Probably should get an enduro-ish set vs XC. I’m not a super hard rider but I weigh 230lbs so there’s that.
    Any wheel sets you guys are particularly fond of? I ride corner canyon, BST, and the occasional Bobsled if it’s in decent shape.

I have a set of nox rims built up with dtswiss hibs, absolutely rock solid. I have smacked them on rocks and not much more than a scratch. LBS that built them is always surprised at how much abuse they take and how easy they are to true.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Thanks, I'll add those to the list.

I have three sets of these.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/

I weigh 230 lbs and typically ride 40 to 60 miles a week during the season. I have their newish asymmetric AM rim/wheel and it has been very solid and the price is typically lower then you would find from other brands, but Trump may be putting that to an end. Good quality at a reasonable price. That said because I am big boy, my rear wheels rarely last longer than three seasons carbon or not.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have been riding/racing Ibis 741 27.5" 35mm internal carbon hoops for almost 3 seasons now. Incredible. Wide = life. Can run super low PSI and get stupid traction. FWIW, I finished a stage on bare granite rock gardens with a rear flat 2 seasons ago...aka bare carbon rim smashing off rocks and they were perfectly fine.

A lot of the carbon rims from the smaller manufacturers are essentially identical. Many come from the same factories. There's maybe some minor differences in the rim construction, but the functional differences tend to mostly come down to hub and spoke choices, which are easier to differentiate. A lot of the less expensive wheelsets are using rebranded variations of novatec hubs, which have a well earned reputation for freehubs that explode, especially under big guys. Finding a wheelset with a name brand hub (dt, i9, king, hope, etc) with non generic spokes (if the spokes aren't made by dt or sapim, you probably don't want them) will be worth the expense.

Have you looked at We Are One Composites out of Kamloops BC?
    https://www.weareonecomposites.com
    They layup their carbon in their shop in Canada. They just came out with 5 more models to improve on their original 2 models.
    No question life time warranty. They are working with and developing product with some big name athletes on the WC DH and EnduroWS.
    Have a look, read this story, consider them.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Only have experience with Nox, but I like them. I did crack a rear last year, but I smashed the fuck out of it. I think an AL rim would have been toast, but the thing was still true, so I kept riding it for a couple weeks after. Nox replaced it no questions.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A lot of the carbon rims from the smaller manufacturers are essentially identical. Many come from the same factories. There's maybe some minor differences in the rim construction, but the functional differences tend to mostly come down to hub and spoke choices, which are easier to differentiate. A lot of the less expensive wheelsets are using rebranded variations of novatec hubs, which have a well earned reputation for freehubs that explode, especially under big guys. Finding a wheelset with a name brand hub (dt, i9, king, hope, etc) with non generic spokes (if the spokes aren't made by dt or sapim, you probably don't want them) will be worth the expense.
    I've been beating the tar out of the wheels from Dirt Components for a few years now and have only good things to say about them. The house brand hubs are bombproof and not made by Nova or Joy Tech. They're from an industrial hub manufacturer in Taiwan that makes things like forklift and heavy equipment hubs and can be had in every possible current size. Enduro bearings and 4 leaf spring pawls that engage simultaneously giving very positive 10* engagement and both Shimano or SRAM driver freehubs are available. This is the page for the 30/36 (30 internal/36 external) 29er wheels https://www.dirtcomponents.com/29-36-1mm-rc-1 These rims are Enduro rated and I can vouch for the beating they can take. The wheelsets are handbuilt in Austin TX by riders that love what they do and it shows. They only use DT spokes and brass nipples unless you order them with something else and there's over 100 colors of graphics to choose from. If you were closer I'd offer the demo wheelset I have for you to check them out. Use the code Trailhead for 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Have you looked at We Are One Composites out of Kamloops BC?
    https://www.weareonecomposites.com
    They layup their carbon in their shop in Canada. They just came out with 5 more models to improve on their original 2 models.
    No question life time warranty. They are working with and developing product with some big name athletes on the WC DH and EnduroWS.
    Have a look, read this story, consider them.
    Echoing these. I just got a pair of their Agents for $1k with DT 350s (I think they're available now with entry level I9s for that price). They're very nice. Visually, they appear to be a much nicer product than my old Light Bicycle rims. And the warranty is awesome.

Really good reviews on them out there (NSMB, Pinkbike, etc.).
    There's a lot of

Probably too light but trek just released 1250g wheelset. Not sure but I think they're using dt hubs.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have been on the Race Face Next R's for about a year now and can't say enough good things. I'm in particular love with the vault hubs on em'. At this point I'd highly recommend.

I have Reynolds Blacklabel on my bike and am very happy with them. I'm light, but also very indiscriminate about my rock smashing, and they've held up well (granted I'm also running Cushcore, which protects the rim).

The I9 hubs are big reason I went with these - I love fast engagement hubs. Other selling points were the warranty ("if you break a rim while riding your bike, we'll replace it") and the fact I could get them at a modest discount.

Another option to consider - coloradocyclist.com offers custom wheel builds at a reasonable price, looks like they do Enve, Nox, and their own house brand of carbon rims on your choice of high end hubs. I used them for an aluminum wheel build and had a great experience, but I don't know much about their house brand rims.

29” Carbon Wheelset Recommendations

Broke 3 Derbys in one season but they were first gen standard layup. Replaced with the “HD” layup and they were bomber. Think they’re still rolling under another Mag up in BC.

E13s were bomber for me except for the bent axle, not super light though. Decent engagement but I’d say the hubs need some work. I shouldn’t be bending axles at my weight. They sent out two axles in a hurry with no hassle though. Overall maybe not as nice as they should be but if you find a screamin deal...

Been on Reynolds Black Label special edition 34i since last summer. By far the nicest wheels I’ve owned. I9 Torch hubs so great engagement and longevity there, CX Ray spokes feel very lively but maybe not the best for a bigger guy. I’ve smashed the shit out of these and have been sure I’d broken them but they’ve been fine. Unbelievable.

Got several friends on the Santa Cruz and everyone’s happy. Not as blingy but good value there.

Most of the major players offer lifetime warranty now and carbon rims have come a long way in terms of durability. Pretty tough to go wrong even with Light Bicycle. Prolly a bit more risk and leg work with warranty there though.

Whatever you do, get a nice high engagement hub on there, this is an investment you want to be happy with. Definitely the biggest upgrade you can make to your bike. The new I9 Hydra’s are sick, Torches are great too and are going cheaper on closeout now. DT 240 with the 54t ratchet is a good option if that’s what’s offered. If I was buying new wheels right now I’d be using the new Onyx. Still heavier than the competition but worth it for zero degree/infinite, completely silent engagement. You may think you like loud hubs but that shit gets old to me.

Local guy Dusty Ott/ Hubsessed quoted me around $1800 last summer for We Are One Agent 29 on Onyx with DT comp spokes last summer. He’s got a lot of experience, can do whatever you want with blingy color-matching and spoke options, and can advise you on your best options. He’ll also stand behind his wheels with maintenance and facilitate warranty if necessary. I’d prolly do something like that if I was buying wheels today. Look him up on Facebook or Insta.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I knew the mag collective would cough up the goods. Thanks for the education guys, I've learned a ton from your posts and have a really good idea of what to look for. If you see a husky guy with giant calves struggling up dry creek on a Yeti say hi. It's probably me, the rest of the guys on Yetis I've seen aren't exactly Clydesdales.

Can’t speak on their carbon quality but have 2 sets of alloy I9 wheels and hubs, one enduro 29 305 with torch and one backcountry 27.5+ BC 360 with hydra and really just flawless. Did the torch bearings once in two years, beat the crap out of them, still look great. Hydra had for about 6 weeks look and feel great thus far!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Keep in mind carbon rims seem to be going through a bit of an r/evolution currently, i.e. some brands are promoting shallower rim profiles to provide a bit more flex/give responding to people complaining about carbon wheel sets being too stiff. Current examples: SRAM, Crank Brothers, latest WeAreOne rims, brand new Ibis. How much of a difference this actually makes can be debated and who knows how it will play out with the other brands.

NOX Composites actually has a pretty convincing argument AGAINST any discernible differences explained under Vertical Compliance and Carbon Rims on this page https://www.noxcomposites.com/wheel_building.

I think the current frontrunners for carbon wheel sets are Santa Cruz (easy warranty and decent prices) and WeAreOne(very good prices-for you Americans, locally manufactured, and their latest iterations have gone with the shallower profile).

Super happy with my “affordable” Light Bicycle EN928 rims w/ dt350 hubs.

Actually, if your 5.5 is 142 (pre-boost) a friend is selling a pair of these rims on I9 hubs for a good deal.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/EN928-a...tain-rims.html

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Super happy with my “affordable” Light Bicycle EN928 rims w/ dt350 hubs.

Actually, if your 5.5 is 142 (pre-boost) a friend is selling a pair of these rims on I9 hubs for a good deal.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/EN928-a...tain-rims.html

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    My bike has boost spacing. Interesting look at those Light bicycle rims though...

We Are One Agents laced up to the new i9 Hydras on the new Ransom. Hands down one of the best built wheelsets I've come across and Lifetime Warranty as well. Love that they're not a generic made in China no name rim too...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

If you're interested, I'll probably have a few sets of the new Reynolds TR309's available (brand new) for sale in a couple of weeks. They're $1300+ new, I'm likely ask around $850 for each wheelset.

I have some M60 Enves for sale. One can be registered with Enve. 500? Pick the hubs you want. Comes with aero spokes, rim tape nipples. 28 hoes.

Ridden a few times so virtually new here in SLC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79C73437-1F51-4968-B0E1-FE0B21E7C2CE.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	283822

I'm thinking of taking Go Ride up on their sale price for Reynolds carbon rims with i-9 hubs. $1500. They seem to be one of the good companies out there and the price seems fair. I'm tempted with some of the stuff on KSL and PB but used carbon rims kinda scare me.

I had a warranty experience w Reynolds that was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear