Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just got back last night- thanks for all the info.

We drove from Seattle to Eugene the first night, then spent a lazy morning at the hotel pool/waffle station. Headed to the coast on 38 and went to the elk viewing area- they had a covered gazebo with spotting scopes that was cool. But the herd was right there even in the rain so you didn't need to stop.

Bandon was great- awesome rock formations on the beach, in the running for the most scenic in the PNW for sure. There was a cave system in one of the huge rocks a bit north of the Face Rock state park that was fun (a couple caves in the cliffs too, but the best by far was in the surf- watch the tides of course). We saw a bunch of seals laying on the rocks at Coquille point, maybe two dozen which was the most I'd ever seen up close in one place. Tide pools were great there too. Only one sea star close enough to touch, we saw a few further out though. They seem to be coming back more in WA at least, there had been a wasting disease.

The town of Bandon had a fishing/crabbing dock so we rented a couple crab pots and the kids loved it. We got at least 2-3 crabs every time we pulled it up using chicken breast, sometimes more. One keeper in the 90 min or or so we were out there. I guess later in the season it is better but we all had a blast. The tourist fish shacks were top notch and a bargain compared to Seattle food prices. Everyone loved Washed Ashore- the art gallery with everything made from beach trash. Super impressive and they had craft tables for the kids.

We took 42 back to the highway so we could hit the safari park. They had a couple huge rhinos just walking around. Buffalo, deer, hippos and a bunch of others. Lions, tigers, cheetas, bears all behind cages. Great way to break up the long drive home.

Thanks again!

Anyone have no-reservation, walk up, camping info? Looking at some of the state parks online, but I don’t know anything about the area... in a rental car, w 11 year old kid.
    Anyone got any recs for places on the coast to go camping for a couple nights? We are Coloradans, and just looking for some time along the water. End of July/beginning of August.

My recollection is that all of the state parks have walk up sites, but no advice on which ones are likely to have spots. I do know that it is not like here, you can't expect to find legal dispersed camping anywhere near the coast; you'll have to go inland for that. Where on the coast will you be? I have one recommendation for a non-reservation CG in California, at the very northern tip (so if you're in Southern Oregon it might be doable).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’m probably going to fly to Eugene or Portland.... less drive time the better. A few of the parks see to have walk up sites; just trying to get some beta on which ones might be coolest. NorCal a slight possibility but drive time from any airport might cancel that option for me

Any reason you need walk up? You may be able to find reservations at some of the coastal campgrounds still.

We've had decent luck just rolling up right at checkout time even during busy times to campgrounds and grabbing a spot. It's obviously much easier during the week than on the weekends.

Near Portland we usually stay at Cape Lookout, or lots of times we stay up in the state forest along Hwy 6 and head to the beach during the day.

I can also check for reservations — not sure what day I will head out so that’s why I figured walk up would be safer bet. Besides cape lookout any other coast area spots you could recommend?

Oregon Coast beta

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    I can also check for reservations — not sure what day I will head out so that’s why I figured walk up would be safer bet. Besides cape lookout any other coast area spots you could recommend?
    Nehalem Bay is pretty popular. I haven’t camped much in the coast as we usually go the VRBO route.

Tillamook is a good town for kids as well as Newport (check out the aquarium), so staying near those gives you options.

Cool thanks. Res sites looked pretty booked end of July/early August so will look at the walk up options wherever.

Most of the state campgrounds on the coast have hiker / biker areas, and in my experience, you're pretty much guaranteed to find a spot there. These spots have no parking and are usually off in the woods, away from the tent and trailer sites. So, if you're primarily using a rental car, it will be a pain but you can bring along backpacking gear, look for parking close by (this will take spending some time with a map), you could park, walk in to a hiker spot, and spend the night. Would be a pain but might be good to have as a backup option if all else fails.

Tillicum and Beachside (both south of Newport) are two of my favorites; excellent beach access.

Don't know much on camping but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you want to stay closer to Portland, Tillamook area is cool. Chesse factory in town (with ice cream naturally), and Oceanside has a cool beach with a tunnel and agates. Cape Kiwanda/Pacific City is worth the drive too, awesome sand dune and rock formation- probably a popular spot anywhere near to camp though.

If you come up to WA you can camp on the beach if you are looking for that, but drive time may kill that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Tillicum and Beachside (both south of Newport) are two of my favorites; excellent beach access.
    These and I’ll add Carl G. Washburn to the list. It’s generally less crowded and has great hiking trails (Hobbit trail that goes around Heceta Head is awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My recollection is that all of the state parks have walk up sites, but no advice on which ones are likely to have spots. I do know that it is not like here, you can't expect to find legal dispersed camping anywhere near the coast; you'll have to go inland for that. Where on the coast will you be? I have one recommendation for a non-reservation CG in California, at the very northern tip (so if you're in Southern Oregon it might be doable).
    Where did you get this idea? We have numerious campsites with great beach access.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...on_state_parks

Thanks for the camping beta folks. Headed to NorCal / redwoods for a little backpack to the beach w one of my kids. Somehow the flight/driving time combo worked out the best there

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The wildlife safari in Bandon is awesome for kids and adults. Pet a tiger!
    https://www.westcoastgameparksafari.com/
    I've heard that place is pretty miserable for the animals, but this other spot nearby in Roseburg on our route to the coast does seem quite legit (responsible/humane) and I think I might have dug it even more than my kids: https://wildlifesafari.net/

Or does the coastal spot seem better than reports suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    I've heard that place is pretty miserable for the animals, but this other spot nearby in Roseburg on our route to the coast does seem quite legit (responsible/humane) and I think I might have dug it even more than my kids: https://wildlifesafari.net/

Or does the coastal spot seem better than reports suggest?
    We did the Roseburg one and outside of the fact that the climate might not be right for all of the animals, it did seem "humane". At least they had the freedom to roam somewhat, and we were in "cages" passing through (cars). Didn't do the Bandon one even though we stayed in Bandon for a week, but I can't recall why we didn't do it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy