Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Anyone know about Charlotte NC?

Wife’s company may deliver an ultimatum in the next year or two with a relo package. I told her to search for a new job.

Just in case did some research and there’s a few ski hills within 2-3 hrs, one even has a 5300 ft peak (low vert though)

Anyone live there? You like it? Hate it?

Seems like a humid, soon to be abortion banning area but I don’t know shit.

3 hours to the mountains 3 hours to the beach.

Better than almost all midwest skiing, with Bohemia being that midwest exception. Still, nothing most here would call "steep" short of a few 200 foot sections at Sugar Mountain. Beech is meh, and Appalachian is just a good place to learn or hit rails. Season is pretty unpredictable too. Sometimes hardly any terrain open at Christmas. Late January to mid February is usually OK though.

In the end, it beats NOT skiing. Beaches are freaking AMAZING though so there's that.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Thanks.

Was looking at the Lakes, Norman and forget the other. They have Nuclear power plants on them, after watching Chernobyl on HBO I’m sketched out. Otherwise can get a 3k square foot lake house for like 5-600k. Not bad.

My brother moved there a few years ago from the PNW and loves it.

I dont think he does much anymore, tho.

Hot and humid is accurate. Not a lot of character; Charlotte likes shiny and new. Expensive housing. Suburbia. McMansions. Traffic is fucked. Not bike or pedestrian friendly. Local school situation shaky. Local police situation is fucked. State politics are fucked. Seen the live cams of people skiing into mud? Good chance that was NC.

Good breweries and places to eat in the South End and NODA. Art museum. US National Whitewater Center. Good local radio station. There is a one-line light rail system which is great but the city is half-committed and ridership fluctuates. Beautiful canopies of hardwoods line the streets of many city neighborhoods.

-2.5 Ogdens

I have family in Hickory (~45 mi NW). Hot, humid, lots of bugs up their way. Thinly veiled racism and undereducation seem to be the norm out their way. Not sure if the city proper is any better.

Nearby fishing was good and the Atlantic is nice, but too far for a single day trip.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

My ex-in laws lived on Lake Wylie. That made it a tolerable place to vacation. Other than that I would recommend living near your work.

Coal ash and water quality on Lake Norman and Lake Wylie are a thing. The commute into the city could be an hour and a half.

Living in NC?

My La Grave ski buddy had to move there to be near his kids due to a messy divorce. Does not bother skiing there, instead he flies to wherever one of his ski passes lets him ski. He is on a MILF hunt and so yoga keeps him occupied in that arena. Coast is nice, but it's a weekend thing. Better to hit Asheville or the mountains there for short getaways, maybe. Racist place in general, as is all of the South. So basically a nice-ish bigger city in the not deep South.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

First off I'v lived here better part of 20 years. The armchair racist comments are ridiculous. Its a minority majority city, period. Like most places its stratified more socio economically then color, but you are more likely to have non white neighbors then portland, denver or SLC. Let the fucking Southern stereotypes die already.
    That being said, traffic is bad like most place that people keep moving too. The skiing sucks, I fly to Utah and ski 25 days a winter. See the sugar mountain cam for a laugh.
    As for the nuts and bolts of making money, expect big city wages and reasonable COL. It's gotten more expensive but its still cheap compared to Northeast or out west. the state income tax of 5.5% is nice since its a flat tax no deductions. its been good for me and my family economically. In state colleges are great. The heat does suck now through September, but its about the same as other places in the summer unless you live in San Diego. nearly every city sucks in the summer now.
    PM me if you want real details.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Racist place in general, as is all of the South.
    It’s not 1860 or even 1960. This is patently false.

Come on man, I know you’re better than this.
    I still call it The Jake.

Maybe. I thought I was, but when I visited my buddy down there for a long weekend I still saw some of the things that made me not want to live in the south.
    Anyway I’m sure you guys are right.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I hope OP likes mountain biking and sweating balls. I had a chance to ride one short 7 or 8 mile loop near Asheville and was blown away. Best dirt I have ever ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Maybe. I thought I was, but when I visited my buddy down there for a long weekend I still saw some of the things that made me not want to live in the south.
    Anyway I’m sure you guys are right.
    You know, I'd like to know exactly what you saw. If you told me you saw african americans living in trailers near lake wylie while other lived in multi million dollar mansions on the water, you witnessed wealth inequality, not Jim Crow deed restricted land that can't be sold to "Coloreds". The city of Charlotte itself is less then 50% white. Its not apartheid era South Africa where all those condos and homes are being snatched up by whites only.
    I travel for work extensively and a redneck is a redneck whether he's mudding on at ATV or sledding in Wisconsin. Now appalachian culture is way different than southern culture now as well and is more similar across states as well.
    However, by and large the state is 35% african american compared the nation average of 13% or so. There are large Indian populations via HB visa programs at bofa and Wells and the other financial companies. Plus a thriving hispanic culture.
    OP I'd be happy to answer your questions

Shit. This is preliminary research, love getting knowledge from like minded people.

Thanks guys and girl.

Sounds like it’s good for milf hunting, sweating balls, and reasonable cost of living and a manageable drive to da beach. Decent skiing will require an airplane trip

While I'm sure your balls will be moisty in Charolette, you may be pleasantly surprised how bearable it is in the mountains around Boone in the summer. Not sure how it is in all the mountain towns there though, like are the the trails around Brevard insufferable? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Now appalachian culture is way different than southern culture now as well and is more similar across states as well.
    I agree with that statement but I wonder, what do you see as the dominant culture in Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    First off I'v lived here better part of 20 years. The armchair racist comments are ridiculous. Its a minority majority city, period. Like most places its stratified more socio economically then color, but you are more likely to have non white neighbors then portland, denver or SLC. Let the fucking Southern stereotypes die already.
    I lived in Oklahoma in the 60s, VA early 70s, Dallas area in the 90s before moving to Durham. Guess which one is the only one where we got KKK flyers distributed all over the neighborhood? And it was fairly recently too. NC's hands down the most racist dense place I've lived in my 50 years. Durham's pretty progressive too relative to Charlotte. If you don't see the problem you're probably a part of it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I agree with that statement but I wonder, what do you see as the dominant culture in Charlotte?
    Transplants living in suburbia with developers pushing out long time residents who have no idea what the hell is going on as another chili’s is built at the interesection.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I lived in Oklahoma in the 60s, VA early 70s, Dallas area in the 90s before moving to Durham. Guess which one is the only one where we got KKK flyers distributed all over the neighborhood? And it was fairly recently too. NC's hands down the most racist dense place I've lived in my 50 years. Durham's pretty progressive too relative to Charlotte. If you don't see the problem you're probably a part of it.
    All these discussion s without even knowing who we are in real life devolve into stereotypes. To think the Durham area with chapel hill, duke, nc state, and other large teaching institutions is more racist then Oklahoma in the 60’s is patently false. I’d be pissed if some redneck asswipe put kkk flyers in my mailbox today, but to single out an individual incident is ridiculous. In comparison to an era of outright lynchings and school desegregation issues like the other places you mentioned. Hell Boston had those same issue into the 70-80’s.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    like are the the trails around Brevard insufferable? Anyone?
    Extremely sufferable
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Extremely sufferable

I'm confused. I think that's a positive?

A good friend is from Wilson NC and she is not shy about talking about the racism that she says is still rampant. I have only been in Asheville, Durham, Wilmington and the Outer Banks and it has seemed pretty chill on all scores.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'm confused. I think that's a positive?
    There's levels to that play on words I think. But yeah positive I'm guessing.