Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Anyone know about Charlotte NC?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Try to keep up. I told OP I'd take the deal in spite of the social aspects being different than northeast and northwest.
    Stop already. You already mentioned 30 years ago you fought racism in Oklahoma and Dallas and Virginia. How the hell do you know where people were educated 30 years ago. Just give it up.
    I’m convinced some red neck touched you inappropriately when you sat down to pee at south of the border and you have ptsd from the Carolinas and in fact live somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Stop already. You already mentioned 30 years ago you fought racism in Oklahoma and Dallas and Virginia. How the hell do you know where people were educated 30 years ago. Just give it up.
    I’m convinced some red neck touched you inappropriately when you sat down to pee at south of the border and you have ptsd from the Carolinas and in fact live somewhere else.

Been living 3 blocks from Duke east campus since 1999. Carry on with your fantasies about me peeing though. Now that's surprising for someone from around Charlotte indeed!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Well if you’re one of those rich young banker types, you need to find an $800,000 tear down in Myers Park, blow it up and build your dream home.
    Find me an 800k tear down in Meyers park and I’ll close by Monday. Sadly even those are hard to come by now.

If she in banking Suntrust bbt merger is moving corporate headquarters here as well.

Ahem, half headquarters. Retail HQ will be Charlotte, wholesale and brokerage will be ATL.

I still call it The Jake.

Let's talk NC skiing instead of who is or isn't living in NC ..

One of the better NC trails..

Find me an 800k tear down in Meyers park and I’ll close by Monday. Sadly even those are hard to come by now.

True. There’s one on Wonderwood, that’s $800k selling as a year down. And that’s not even the best area of Cotswold

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Let's talk NC skiing instead of who is or isn't living in NC ..

One of the better NC trails..
    Please tell me this was April/May.

Could be any time.
    I haven’t skied in NC in probably 4-5 years.
    I refuse to ski in NC on a weekend. It’s dangerous.
    Actually I take that back, if you can grab first chair, you can ski for two hours before most gapers make it up. But the ROI, isn’t good.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Please tell me this was April/May.
    Unfortunately, the date is accurate. We get between 50 and 110 inches per season up there. And, there's occasionally a full meltdown in December putting them back to square one. It's not all that common to have enough coverage in the woods to venture off trail. I will say that 2016-17 was a particularly BAD season for us. Last season was better. I've only skied in April ONCE around here. Wintergreen, VA opened for one weekend after a big storm early April about 5 years ago.

Here's what it looks like on a good day

Ken is spot on about the crowds too. Best skiing happens here between 8:30 and 1ish. There's rarely any big lines before noon on weekends and holidays. Parking is another story though. Gotta get there before about 9:30am or you're out in BFE. At Sugar that means taking a shuttle bus. At the other places it means a half mile walk. I go to the little 360 vert hill to avoid those vacationer crowds if I know we're not getting there before 10am.... teen kids LOL.
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 05-26-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Here's Kure' Beach. No charge to access most beaches. Parking at Kure' is free and if you get there before about 10:30 you can get a really good spot. I think we were parked less than 300 yards from this spot. Most others do charge for parking... Might be up around $30 a day now.

I gotta cue up that vid when I get eyes rolling at me at 5:30a on a day with less than 6”...”son, you have no idea how good you have it”
    Some of us remember & appreciate variable conditions...

Here's Kure' Beach. No charge to access most beaches. Parking at Kure' is free and if you get there before about 10:30 you can get a really good spot. I think we were parked less than 300 yards from this spot. Most others do charge for parking... Might be up around $30 a day now.

One thing NC definitely has is epic beaches. The Outer Banks is off the hook nice. Midsummer traffic sucks because there's only one road and there's always some fuck in an RV doing 30 but spring and fall are amazing. The beaches around Wilmington are very nice but I'll take the outer banks myself. Wilmington itself is a cool little city, it's surrounded by Chilis-Walmart sprawl but the city is old and historic and has some cool architecture, I like it there.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I gotta cue up that vid when I get eyes rolling at me at 5:30a on a day with less than 6”...”son, you have no idea how good you have it”
    Some of us remember & appreciate variable conditions...
    Even when we do get that giant storm, they usually have it ALL groomed down by the time the resort opens at 8:30. When there's just 150 acres of open terrain, running cats all night has it all packed down before too long. Best fresh snow skiing here happens when it's dumping during the day.

I've had one true deep powder morning in 10 years of skiing here. Got there before most of the staff. Not even a liftee there. Patrols were taking turns watching the shut off, self service laps! Didn't ski at all the first several years after moving here.

You’ll be near great beaches and hiking. Wintergreen runs hot and cold, but snowmaking has been significantly upgraded over the past few years, so its better consistency wise. Great for kids, and has a few good runs. The dumps can be crazy . This was after superstorm Jonas, monster weekend. Broke out the wide skis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1345.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	524.4 KB 
ID:	283806

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Having made the mistake of leaving California more than once, and if you are leaving a similar place, don’t go.

Always ask yourself if you’d spend the rest of your life there. Life can take a turn and you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Having made the mistake of leaving California more than once, and if you are leaving a similar place, don’t go.

Always ask yourself if you’d spend the rest of your life there. Life can take a turn and you could.
    Also ask what you can afford to do considering the difference in incomes and cost of living in the places under consideration. I'd rather be pulling in $200K a year in an OK place with some mediocrity but more affordable real estate than $100K a year someplace cooler but costs twice as much to live comfortably. With the former, you'll have money to vacation at the latter a couple times a year and still have more getting put away for kids college, retirement, etc..

Also ask what you can afford to do considering the difference in incomes and cost of living in the places under consideration. I'd rather be pulling in $200K a year in an OK place with some mediocrity but more affordable real estate than $100K a year someplace cooler but costs twice as much to live comfortably. With the former, you'll have money to vacation at the latter a couple times a year and still have more getting put away for kids college, retirement, etc..
    Live more simply, and make sure it's somewhere you want to live. Fuck the $$.

YMMV, obviously.

It’s like they say, it’s worse having had something and lost it, then never having had it at all.

I came to St. Louis for the reasons you mention, bought a 4 acre spread, pool, 3 zone AC for half the price of my home i sold in Ca. Then whoops! Divorced. No, actually it started when I left SF to trade in Chicago, I met her there, and little did I know I’d be laying down roots in the Midwest my whole life. You see, I’d moved all over the world my whole life, and the thought never occurred to me the music may stop and I’d be left with no seat.

Fuck moving for jobs. Fate, destiny is not to be messed with.

Live where you want to.

I know very little about Charlotte, or North Carolina in general. I do recall seeing this sign along the highway (or perhaps another one just like it) when entering the state some years ago.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pin...0312013728890/

Probably things have changed since then.

Finally a cause I can get behind, Thanks for the stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Live more simply, and make sure it's somewhere you want to live. Fuck the $$.

YMMV, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    It’s like they say, it’s worse having had something and lost it, then never having had it at all.

I came to St. Louis for the reasons you mention, bought a 4 acre spread, pool, 3 zone AC for half the price of my home i sold in Ca. Then whoops! Divorced. No, actually it started when I left SF to trade in Chicago, I met her there, and little did I know I’d be laying down roots in the Midwest my whole life. You see, I’d moved all over the world my whole life, and the thought never occurred to me the music may stop and I’d be left with no seat.

Fuck moving for jobs. Fate, destiny is not to be messed with.

Live where you want to.

If I were single/divorced I'd probably agree 100%. But, since I'm still happy with the family unit, my efforts mostly go towards that. Mrs says she wants to retire in the mountains when the nest empties.. She doesn't even ski. I'm good putting most of my free time towards what the teens and she wants do to. We did the big summer vaca at Yellowstone two years ago. A winter trip out west isn't happening anytime soon with two kids going to college soon. Choices, and I'm good with that.

As for home base.. Ya, it's bible thumbping redneck heaven here. It ain't just Charlotte, or NC. It's pretty much all of NC, VA, GA, the whole south has more if that than the north. Ya, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Durham, pretty much most cities with colleges will lean more progressive than the rest, but we're still surrounded by stupidity. I just hold my nose and keep moving when confronted with it. Beaches are fantastic, skiing is better than what I had growing up in Minnesota, though less reliable sometimes. There are certainly worse places for a skier to live. Florida, GA, SC, AL, MS, OK, etc..

Article on good eats posted today.

https://gardenandgun.com/feature/eat...BiRTkluJdTV8hQ
    I still call it The Jake.