Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I’ll take a chili’s fajita anytime, love them things.

Sounds like you will fit right in, then...

One thing I envy about Charlotte over Durham is the Panthers. As far as the racist element goes, we need more people willing to confront it and push them back under the rocks they were hiding under in the 80s and 90s. Yes, the urban areas here mostly lean democrat on the ballots, but it's solidly at least still 35% in your face redneck gun nuts in the urban areas. Rural areas are solidly far right fundamentalists.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Im going to see Phish in Charlotte.

Hope that helps.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    racist fuckwads all over, UP Michigan
    True. It’s lame.

Some very fine people on both sides

Not to jack the thread (only slightly) - same general Q's about Raleigh area? Seems a lot of the town on the outskirts are made up of HOA/Planned developments - Holly Springs for example.....Is this a result of the area "booming" up in the 90's? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Im going to see Phish in Charlotte.

Hope that helps.
    That ought to be a very diverse crowd of white trustafarians..

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Not to jack the thread (only slightly) - same general Q's about Raleigh area? Seems a lot of the town on the outskirts are made up of HOA/Planned developments - Holly Springs for example.....Is this a result of the area "booming" up in the 90's? Something else?
    It's the result of lots of large corporations moving operations here from other parts of the country, mostly from the northeast and midwest. Probably why OP asked the question to begin with.. It's also why the hockey rink has at least 30-40% of fans wearing visitor jerseys at the Hurricanes home games. Favorable corporate income rates and other tax incentives is what's bringing them here. Bathroom bill scared some away for awhile. Abortion heartbeat law, if Cooper's veto is overridden, will chase several away..

NC as a whole seemed to be trending progressive until the last few years. Still is in several locales but state politics did a u-turn.

It's happened three times in the last five years.. at least.. Fact is, the current divided climate and landscape has brought them out from under the rocks they were hiding under in the 90s. It wasn't worse back then than it is now... Only now it's the police doing the "lynchings" with their guns and choke holds.
    I’ve lived in Charlotte for 13 years. I’ve never seen a klan member. My neighborhood is as progressive as they come...but there’s 2 million people in the metro, so yeah there are all types. And how old were you in the 60’s...I’ve met you. You couldn’t have been old enough to remember much...unless you age really really well. But keep discouraging MORE transplants...I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Charlotte's nowhere near "the middle".
    Dude, you’re just wrong.

Lots of these types in Charlotte...
    https://youtu.be/VR485DRyzAY

Fact is, it’s pretty rare to find a Charlotte native in Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    I’ve lived in Charlotte for 13 years. I’ve never seen a klan member. My neighborhood is as progressive as they come...but there’s 2 million people in the metro, so yeah there are all types. And how old were you in the 60’s...I’ve met you. You couldn’t have been old enough to remember much...unless you age really really well. But keep discouraging MORE transplants...I’m all for it.

Despite being in what I’ll guess are his late 40’s to early 50’s he Apparently was sitting in at lunch counter demonstrations in the 60’s in Oklahoma and helped desegregate the Dallas area schools miraculously all before he was born. Sadly he’s been front and center to the 4th great awakening of the klan centered in Raleigh Durham.
    I call bullshit on all these “experiences” with the exception of driving to myrtle beach and being scared at a gas station because some redneck with a dog box, confederate tattoo and sleeveless shirt looked at him funny for driving a Subaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Dude, you’re just wrong.

oreally?

Shattering Charlotte's Myth of Racial Harmony

A review by The Charlotte Observer in 2015 found that few officers were disciplined for shootings of civilians, even when the city was paying out large settlements:

The city has paid $3.4 million to families in settlements over the last decade in cases involving five shootings. Despite the payments, which meant the cases never went to court, Charlotte officers have rarely been suspended or fired for their use of deadly force.

The Observer obtained city documents listing current and former CMPD officers involved in 67 shootings since 2005. Only one police officer was fired. Another was suspended for two days.

A University of North Carolina study several years ago found that blacks were far more likely to be stopped by police in Charlotte, especially young black men, and that the racial disparity in traffic stops was growing. The city of Charlotte also considered instituting controversial “exclusion zones” for fighting prostitution in 2015, a solution that critics noted was likely to produce racially disparate results. The city eventually decided against the zones.

The chief of Charlotte’s police force, Kerr Putney, is black, as was his predecessor, Rodney Monroe. But recent experience in cities like Baltimore has shown that having black police chiefs, as well as black mayors, is not a panacea for racist law enforcement and racially based community tension. The department is also 76 percent white and only 17 percent black, while Mecklenburg County overall is 64 percent white and 28 percent black. Brentley Vinson, the officer who shot Scott, is black.
    Pretending it isn't there doesn't make it disappear. Only way to remedy it is head on.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Despite being in what I’ll guess are his late 40’s to early 50’s he Apparently was sitting in at lunch counter demonstrations in the 60’s in Oklahoma and helped desegregate the Dallas area schools miraculously all before he was born. Sadly he’s been front and center to the 4th great awakening of the klan centered in Raleigh Durham.
    I call bullshit on all these “experiences” with the exception of driving to myrtle beach and being scared at a gas station because some redneck with a dog box, confederate tattoo and sleeveless shirt looked at him funny for driving a Subaru.

I was downtown at the demonstrations the night before they tore down the confederate monument at the courthouse. What have you done to fight racism in your neighborhood besides wave and smile at poor people?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...132875404.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...191609399.html

https://indyweek.com/news/archives/k...onal-campaign/

https://indyweek.com/news/kkk-comes-...-thanks-trump/

https://www.wral.com/once-again-kkk-...l-nc/14745985/

https://www.cbs17.com/news/hundreds-...ods/1080671603

Anyone know about Charlotte NC?

I was downtown at the demonstrations the night before they tore down the confederate monument at the courthouse. What have you done to fight racism in your neighborhood besides wave and smile at poor people?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...132875404.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...191609399.html

https://indyweek.com/news/archives/k...onal-campaign/

https://indyweek.com/news/kkk-comes-...-thanks-trump/

https://www.wral.com/once-again-kkk-...l-nc/14745985/

https://www.cbs17.com/news/hundreds-...ods/1080671603
    I’m sure those hundreds of fliers tipped the scales of racism. Let it rest. In a metro of 2million there are always going to be shitheads. Handing out fliers costs a few packs of smokes for some broke dick racists. They are a dying and ignorant holdovers, not the majority of the populace.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bla...-of-color/amp/

Meanwhile where the rubber hits the road, the south is overwhelmingly kinder to African Americans in almost all metrics economically.
    If I were you I’d be hoping your company closes up shop very quickly and relocates you to new haven or Detroit. I’ve heard they are lovely for all people.

I actually read a few of those link from 3-4 years ago and the same flyers were cited as handed out in San Francisco at the same time.

Last edited by ncskier; 05-23-2019 at 09:58 AM.

So a good food and booze scene? I've been thinking of including Charlotte on a southern US road trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    So a good food and booze scene? I've been thinking of including Charlotte on a southern US road trip...
    Great brewery scene. Food is very good thanks to the influx of young chefs from culinary institute that opened 15 years ago and settled. Stick to NoDa area, south end, Cotswold or uptown. Or hit the whitewater center if there’s a brewery festival. Knights game and romare bearden next door for food trucks. Stay away from chili’s or other chains.

Only thing I remember from my short visit to Charlotte is the airport being CLT. Local buddy called it the CLiT.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    Only thing I remember from my short visit to Charlotte is the airport being CLT. Local buddy called it the CLiT.
    Pretty cheap non-stops to SLC. My paraents live in GSO but I probably split between the two airports when visiting.

Nobody mentioned the Whitewater Center? Last time I was there, it was 105 in the shade, and there isn't much shade there. Whoever said it is humid there, it felt like the surface of the moon that day.

My friends live there. I haven't seen overt racism, but I am Italian, so only mostly white- in the winter. Boone and Blowing Rock is where I would spend the summer. Think Boulder Canyon/ Ned type temps vs. Boulder in the summer.

Mtn biking in Brevard and Transylvania County is some of the best in the country. The easiest trails in Pisgah will make you shit your buddy's pants. Oscar Blues and Sierra Nevada set up breweries in Brevard and Arden. Sierra Nevada brewery up there is something to see. Amazing venue, and the food is top notch.

My friends live near uptown right near Kings College. Pimp spread with a running trail right next door. Any locals near there, he drives an orange 1974 Bronco on the weekends. Tell Glenn I say hi. He is jewish, so also not a racist.

I would say the demographic is Bankers. That might help you make the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Nobody mentioned the Whitewater Center?
    First page.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Tell Glenn I say hi. He is jewish, so also not a racist.
    How does he feel about Palestine?

Can’t Jews be racist?

Anyone can be racist.

Don’t be racist against racists.

Nailed it with the banker demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I’m sure those hundreds of fliers tipped the scales of racism. Let it rest. In a metro of 2million there are always going to be shitheads. Handing out fliers costs a few packs of smokes for some broke dick racists. They are a dying and ignorant holdovers, not the majority of the populace.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bla...-of-color/amp/

Meanwhile where the rubber hits the road, the south is overwhelmingly kinder to African Americans in almost all metrics economically.
    If I were you I’d be hoping your company closes up shop very quickly and relocates you to new haven or Detroit. I’ve heard they are lovely for all people.

I actually read a few of those link from 3-4 years ago and the same flyers were cited as handed out in San Francisco at the same time.

The problem is we have a POTUS that promotes racism and bigotry, and they're coming out of the closets in hordes