Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Writing "Thank You's" is the worst

Baby shower thank you notes are very high on my wife's honey-do list this week. Writing thank you's suck. All these stupid loving people giving us stupid free stuff for our stupid baby that's not even born yet.

Congrats. Get used to it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Did you not go to finishing school like the rest of us Dentists?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

OP, You haven’t been married long, amirite?
    If you want to get out of this, just do a really shitty job of it.
    If writing to old people, just go with “Yo! Thanks for the [gift]. You rock!”
    If a long-form note:
    - Write like you have no clue who they are
    - Damn the gift with faint praise. Describe what you wished you would have received (new boots, paddle, parts for bike)
    - Complain about not getting any because of moms giant front bumper. Ask the ladies if they would help you out.

Then run them by the wife for review before sending. She’ll decide to do them herself than risk the havoc you might unleash

That's easy, just kill the baby. Then you get the notes.

#1stworldproblems

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Congrats. Get used to it.
    Or find a good compromise. Mrs Flounder has my signature dialed. I find other ways to help out so she will handle the Thank Yous. Also I try and stay on her good side so she doesn't drain the accounts with my signature.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Only for the gifts that you don’t like and/or the people you don’t really care about. What’s worse is giving someone hard earned cash and then never receiving a thank you for it
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I know someone who won’t be seeing my new correspondence stock.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Baby shower thank you notes are very high on my wife's honey-do list this week. Writing thank you's suck. All these stupid loving people giving us stupid free stuff for our stupid baby that's not even born yet.
    I think you need to give your kid a chance to prove his intelligence before you apply a label

A stamp could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    my ex-wife wrote them...

I hear your problem and it sounds like you need to take action on this ASAP:

You have misplaced your balls. If there is any hope for you after that little bundle of baby drops, you need to find them quick.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

My wife writes all the thank you's and she likes doing it. Plus she has excellent penmanship and mine sucks.

Thank you for this thread.
    watch out for snakes

I hate thank you notes. I get the sentiment but jesus anachronistic practice christ!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Can't you just post an open "thanks" message on facebook? Thought that's the sort of thing it would actually be good for. "we're not sending paper thank you's to conserve earth's valuable resources"

Consider the environment.
    I still call it The Jake.

Millennial much? ;-)

I don't think hand written thank-you notes are really necessary anymore to anyone under the age of 65 (my 89 yo mom is the only one who gets them from me). But if you mail a gift, you want to know the person got it at least- but a text or email should suffice to acknowledge and thank them (it actually bums me out to not get one- was it lost in the mail? Is the person a totally lame ingrate?). I don't think in-person gifts that you open in front of them and thank them for needs a written thank you on top of that, but an email or text would suffice if you want to belt-and-suspender it.

Of course if the wife wants to do it you are stuck with it- a small price to pay for marital harmony . . .

Actually printing on sustainably sourced paper increases forested acreage. https://twosidesna.org/US/going-pape...ot-save-trees/
    https://www.swedishwood.com/about_wo...able-forestry/

The real issue is population growth (which drives deforestation, particularly for food production).

Back to the topic.....
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

It doesn’t matter what we want, once we get it then we want something else.

My first reaction to this thread: what are you, 12?

Second reaction: Actually sending a handwritten note is a class act, even if all 20 of them say the same thing. Everyone who gets one will be pleasantly surprised.

At the very least, send them all a red cap and a speedo.

anything to help

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Can't you just post an open "thanks" message on facebook? Thought that's the sort of thing it would actually be good for. "we're not sending paper thank you's to conserve earth's valuable resources"
    "We bought you a present but rather than waste a box or the hydrocarbons it would take to send you the present, we're keeping it for ourselves. You can skip the thank you note."

Is a written thank you necessary? Probably not, but taking the time to write one rather than sending a text or email is a way of showing that you care enough not to do the easiest thing (even if you don't). As far as Facefuck goes--there are those of thus who refuse to have anything to do with that particular bit of evil, or didn't you know that. The easiest thing is not always the best.

I'm still waiting for a thanks from our friends' kid to whom I sent a go-fund-me donation after he was displaced by the Camp Fire. The first and almost certainly the last go fund me contribution I'll ever send, so kid--it wasn't really me you fucked over, it's the next person who needs $.

I lost the card that came with a wedding gift so that person never got a thank you note. It still bugs me 35 years later.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 9.50.31 AM.png
Views: 278
Size:  513.8 KB