Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    They all met the end they made for themselves.

Glad you were not part of that.

Good write off on the sunglasses.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    My step-sister was murdered on October 13th, 2010, at the age of 44 by her husband. He then killed himself. Her sons, 10 and 12 at the time, were in bed. The older boy found his mom in the morning. The father was behind the bed. He didn't see him.

Her family was best friends of the family across the street. I'd know her since I was 1. She was actually my first kiss when we were little. We were playing house and I was going to "work". So she planted one on me. I must've been 5 or 6 at the time and I remember it like it was yesterday. Our parents got together when we were both about 25. We were good friends while growing up- ran in the same circles- so it was kind of weird at first, but then we were just a big mishmashed Brady Bunch family.

She was a really great person.

It just pops in my head out of the blue. Probably every other day or so. I struggle through the same thoughts each time- could I have reached out to her husband? I knew he suffered from depression. We were friendly- he seemed to like me. Could I have stopped it? How come she didn't let on how bad it was?

My dad raised the boys, but they're not what you'd call completely normal. I don't think our family will ever really get over it. Somethings just can't be understood.

Fuck that was hard to write. Sorry if it was too much information, but I typed it, so there it is.
    That is terrible, my best to your family.

I worked with someone whose brother murdered his entire family (save for the guy I worked with). I also worked with Gary Ridgeway's SIL during the time he was a suspect and subsequently arrested. She was in total denial.

Amazing how many of us are touched by these sorts of tragedies.

Okay, back to Kitty Stoke and talking about country music.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    That is terrible, my best to your family.
    Thanks man. Didn't mean to highjack. It just kind of hit me when I saw the title.

But I'm not getting how anyone can even remotely suggest he's the victim. What, was she mean to him? Belittled him? Threatened to leave him? There's nothing she could have done- nothing- to make her murderer the victim. That's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Thanks man. Didn't mean to highjack. It just kind of hit me when I saw the title.

But I'm not getting how anyone can even remotely suggest he's the victim. What, was she mean to him? Belittled him? Threatened to leave him? There's nothing she could have done- nothing- to make her murderer the victim. That's absurd.
    Just guessing but they probably mean he was a victim of mental illness.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Including the (murdered) victims?
    Am I missing something here?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That's probably true; almost by definition it's true. But recognizing that he is a victim of mental illness is a far cry from suggesting that he shouldn't be condemned. You're a victim of mental illness when you commit suicide, not when you murder someone.

(I'm not suggesting you think otherwise, I know that you were just guessing at someone else's motivation)
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Ya, I get that. The article did state there was no history of mental illness. Can a violent asshole who lost it and then killed himself instead of face the consequences be a possibility? I don't know. Maybe.

Either way, I think it's OK to be angry. But eventually it just turns to sadness and head shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Is there something about "murder" you don't understand?

GiBo that's rough. Hang in there man.

Hopefully we stop making jokes and start taking mental illness seriously in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I can't believe he stole your sunglasses
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I can't believe he stole your sunglasses
    What if they were Vuarnets? He'd kinda deserve it.

I’m sorry to hear this, Snapt. Your friends are odd but I find myself being reminded on almost a daily basis that you can never, ever overestimate the power of denial. It’s truly one of the most powerful reflexes human beings have.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Hopefully we stop making jokes and start taking mental illness seriously in this country.
    That requires compassion though. You can't make money on compassion.

None of us truly know anyone, even ourselves. Especially ourselves. A lot of people who are very friendly, are liked and even loved by many do despicable things, especially to those closest to them who know them the best. Thing of all the relationships we know about that seem great until they fall apart. Are these bad people hiding behind a mask, are they manipulative sociopaths, are they good people who made bad decisions or were under unusual duress? Does it matter? Is there such a thing as good people and bad people? In the end many of us, like your friends, will judge people based on how those people treated us, rather than by bad things they did to other people. Give those mutual friends some time; if they continue to give you a hard time you're better rid of them.

there are a lot of angry people and there is something about our culture that fosters rage in men and they do horrible acts. there would be less killings if there weren't guns everywhere. CT has seen a decrease in suicides since New Town.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    there would be less killings if there weren't guns everywhere. .
    D’oh. You’ve released the ammosexual krakenz.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

i know - it needs to be said - i hope this thread doesn't devolve

A guy I went to college with commited murder/suicide

Things would be better if we had proper mental healthcare/ healthcare and we were not working ourselves to death for two weeks. vacation (not me, no fucking way). So much ugliness in America, access to guns is only part of the culture that brings about the insanity. A co worker told me today how his best friend hung himself after he wrote a note, and left it alongside his gun and cel phone. Guy was a vet and cop. PTSD and his wife was screwing everyone in town.

How does George Bush live with himself?

Last edited by Cono Este; 05-21-2019 at 08:00 PM.

This (the OP case)!doesn’t smell to me like “mental illness”. I’ve lived with someone who was mentally ill. It’s pretty obvious to anyone when someone is truly mentally ill, and has no control over their behavior, and doesn’t know right from wrong.

It’s a far cry from someone who goes into a jealous rage and kills someone. Here we have a good looking young female doctor just starting out in her career. She has a boyfriend with a job that probably pays much less. Maybe she discovers he has character issues, and starts to reconsider her options. Words are spoken, and he goes off the deep end.

Sorry, that’s not mental illness. Jealousy and money are two of the main motives for murder. And just to make it clear, it is all the dick head’s fault. Fuck him and anyone who calls him the victim.

maybe life in america is too desperate ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    None of us truly know anyone, even ourselves. Especially ourselves. A lot of people who are very friendly, are liked and even loved by many do despicable things, especially to those closest to them who know them the best. Thing of all the relationships we know about that seem great until they fall apart. Are these bad people hiding behind a mask, are they manipulative sociopaths, are they good people who made bad decisions or were under unusual duress? Does it matter? Is there such a thing as good people and bad people? In the end many of us, like your friends, will judge people based on how those people treated us, rather than by bad things they did to other people. Give those mutual friends some time; if they continue to give you a hard time you're better rid of them.
    ^this. Sometimes we are a lot closer to snapping than we think. Sometimes it's a snap, sometimes it's quiet despair, sometimes, it's cold and calculated. I know how each feels. But always did the "let's wake up tomorrow and see how you feel"
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

A guy I went to grade school with was killed in a double murder suicide by the ex bf of his gf.

Such a waste.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

My older brother's best friend (and good friend of mine) murdered his step mom then turned the shotgun on himself when we were in college. I've struggled to wrap my mind around it but can't respect going out that way. It's affected my brother deeply and 16 years later, still does. We don't talk about it ever. My bro still thinks the world lost a great guy - his best friend. I struggle with that but want to support my brother. It happened Easter Sunday. My brother and I were on a snowy trail run on Walker Ranch above Boulder. When we got back to the car, he had 5 missed phone calls and when he called back, there was no answer. He blames himself but I see that as just another shitty unnecessary thing to do to someone else when Graham was the one dealing with mental illness.