Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I think cobbling something together for a racer who is friends of the shop is a different situation.
    It is. But, it sounds like jm2e is a regular at this shop and has spent a sizeable amount of money there recently. He's not some random. In that same situation I can't see you guys saying "Sorry, we only have 200 mm adapters. You'll have to wait a week while we order the 203" instead of "I'm sure you're itching to ride this very expensive bike we just sold you. We'll make this work."

this is one of those questions where there are multiple variables to each question and multiple answers TO those multiple questions and no OP will ever state all of them when they complain about something so you have to peel away each layer like an onion and try not to cry

ferinstsance is Virginia really the front range ?

just get some fucking washers eh

red ones
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I appreciate all the input. We keep each other honest and grounded in here.

To clarify and update, since this quick question has caused so much commotion:
    1. Not only did the shop not have the brake adapter, the guy said he couldn't remember seeing a bike with native 180mm that needed one!

2. I did call around to other shops for both issues. Much to my not-surprise, nobody had either. Is it me, or does it seem like ACE Hardware stocking every screw, washer, nut, O-ring, etc under the sun is kind of what we home mechanics are hoping to find when we go to the LBS. But, it's quite the opposite from my experience.

3. Sorry you read my original post as bitching, or even reporting in here that I was upset with the shop. I honestly wasn't 100% sure, and wanted to make sure before spending the money to rush ship something that I hoped I didn't need. In the end, I ordered 4 brake adapters and 2 handlebar clamps. I'd rather just get this done than try to explain to the shop that my internet friends said they could make it work with rim brake spacers.

4. I haven't dealt all that much with this shop. I'm there because I'm buying a bike that I can only get through a shop, and they seemed like the best one of the ones I reached out to. I've been dealing mostly with the owner, and he's been pretty cool about it. Even the guy I've been working with on this stuff is really nice. But in general, they leave the impression that 60% of what they sell is inexpensive bikes for people who just want a bike, and 35% road bikes. They are genuinely surprised that I'm creating a custom build.

5. I spent the last 1.5 years in Northern Colorado, aka The Front Range. We just moved to SW Virginia, which is vague because VA goes a lot further South and West from here, but that's what the locals say. It's way more "in" the mountains than NorCo. 700-1200 foot descents in every direction. There is a huge DH/Enduro oriented scene here, which is surprising to the rest of the country, but perfect for the missus and I. Still ferreting out what's out there, and discover/build bandit trails, but about to put adventures on hold since Snowshoe opens up in 2 days! FKNA Awesome!
    However many are in a shit ton.

Lynchburg area?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Roanoke

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    in general, they leave the impression that 60% of what they sell is inexpensive bikes for people who just want a bike, and 35% road bikes. They are genuinely surprised that I'm creating a custom build.
    sounds pretty normal^^

the store makes mo money selling 5 x 1000$ bikes than they would selling one 5000$ bike,

as for road bikes they cost almost nothing in apres sales service, the owners tend to be well spoken, they don't ride them off the roof, they make appointment that they keep and pay with a visa that is not declined

as opposed to some guy with one name who was featured in your local newspaper as "criminal of the week "

note : this ^^actualy happened at the LBS I was hanging out at with a guy who was making paymernts to buy a high end DH bike, open the newspaper and there he was ...we laughed at the guy who made the deal with him
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know