Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brake Caliper Adaptors

Question for the experts:
    Shimano vs Sram adaptors, are they interchangeable?

Issue: new build is at LBS. I just dropped off new Shimano brakes and Shimano 203mm rotors to swap out with the OEM Sram brakes and 200mm rotors. Shop says I need Shimano adaptors because of the extra 3mm rotor size. I haven’t run any Sram brake stuff in years, so didn’t immediately call BS. Since they’re an LBS, they can’t get ones until next week, so now I have to look around online for some.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Brands or adapter are interchangeable. However a 203mm rotor probably won't fit through a 200mm adapter.
    If you want to ride it before you can get the correct adapter, put a couple of washers between the adapter and the caliper to add 1.5mm.

^^ Yep that's what i was going to say. I'd even call it a permanent fix.

what works good is the mounting washers used to shim rim brake pads
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

EDITED
    If your fork is a 160 Post Mount the part you need is a: SM-MA-F203P/P with 15mm bolts for the adaptor AND bolts for the calipers to the adaptors.
    If your fork is a 180 Post Mount the part you need is a: SM-MA-F203P/PM with 40.2mm upper and 30.4 lower bolts.
    If your fork is a 180 Post Mount the lighter XTR SM-MA90-F203P/PM with lighter hardware thats 38.6mm upper and 32.8mm lower.

But ya, shim that shity SRAM adaptor 1.5mm.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 05-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    If your fork is a 180 Post Mount the part you need is a: SM-MA-F203P/P with 15mm bolts for the adaptor AND bolts for the calipers to the adaptors.
    If your fork is a 160 Post Mount the part you need is a: SM-MA-F203P/PM with 40.2mm upper and 30.4 lower bolts.
    If your fork is a 160 Post Mount the lighter XTR SM-MA90-F203P/PM with lighter hardware thats 38.6mm upper and 32.8mm lower.

But ya, shim that shity SRAM adaptor 1.5mm.
    Weird. Jenson and a couple other places list it opposite of that: SM-MA-F203P/PM for going 180>203 and SM-MA-F203P/P for going 160>203. They even have a note with the product clarifying that it's not the opposite.

Keep it simple and just go with 1.5mm washers.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Weird. Jenson and a couple other places list it opposite of that: SM-MA-F203P/PM for going 180>203 and SM-MA-F203P/P for going 160>203. They even have a note with the product clarifying that it's not the opposite.
    EDITED. MY APOLOGIES, it was late when I was typing. I mixed up the 160 for and 180 fork measurements.
    Photo for clarity:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.05.26 AM.png 
Views:	452 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	283270

Just ordered. Paid for express shipping. Ironically, online price + expedited shipping = LBS pricing.

That’s weak sauce that the LBS does not have these in stock. These should be a common stock part.

I’m so used to stuff like this with local shops.

well the way i read this thread the op buys stuff on-line and wants it installed by the LBS ?

so OP didn't order the right stuff but now the LBS is the bad guy cuz it doesn't work the way the OP wanted.

And then the LBS is double bad for not having the right part that the OP didn't order to begin with

even tho the LBS probably doesnt stock the part because customers are buying it on line instead of from the LBS ?

where is the weak sauce ?

Weak sauce is it’s a super standard part to have in stock. He’s on the Front Range (of mountains). It’s a 203 rotor adaptor. Not a rare part, not an expensive part to stock. ($2.77 wholesale)
    He’s paying the shop to build a new bike, or he bought a new bike from said shop. Part of the professionalism that he is paying for is that the shop has the knowledge, the tools, and the small parts in inventory to perform the job.
    This is not a Northern BC small town bike shop, this is a shop competing for business in a very aggressive market.
    If I was having my local shop build a bike and I told them I’m thinking about putting XTR brakes on it. My shop would say “hey, you can probably get them online cheaper than I can order them for you, just go a head and do that” end of conversation. The shop knows he’s making labor money on the build, and not gouging me on Shimano pricing (different topic).
    What he would NOT say is “make sure you order the adaptors, and some 40.7mm bolts, and Shimano minerals oil, and a Park Tool FR 5.2 to install them, and don’t forget that those discs are shipped with internal lock rings only, so you will need a SM-hb20 lockring to fit over your 15mm axle.
    FUCK THAT. That’s what I’m paying the shop for. Again PAYING for a service.
    Internet prices are here to stay, if a shop wants to stay in business and compete with other shops that have adapted, that’s how they need to work. Have small parts in stock, keep customers work orders rolling, and make your money by charging appropriately on labor service.
    Not by telling customers “well I don’t have that in stock, I’ll order it from Shimano, we like to order on Tuesdays to meet the minimum order so my shop does not have to pay $11 in shipping. So if I order it Tuesday afternoon you should get it by... oh wait it’s Memorial day coming up, so like a week from Tuesday. Your $5000 bike will be ready in 10 days because we don’t a $2.77 wholesale part.”
    FUCK that. I’ll see you when your shop is having it’s going out of business sale.
    End rant.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well the way i read this thread the op buys stuff on-line and wants it installed by the LBS ?
    so OP didn't order the right stuff but now the LBS is the bad guy cuz it doesn't work the way the OP wanted.
    And then the LBS is double bad for not having the right part that the OP didn't order to begin with
    even tho the LBS probably doesnt stock the part because customers are buying it on line instead of from the LBS ?
    where is the weak sauce ?
    Yea, I could see someone interpreting it that way. But it's way more like like Dee Hubbs said.
    I've already dropped a ton of cash at the shop for two bikes.
    I had a really good and honest conversation with them before the purchase about how, since said brand doesn't sell frames, I was going to have to buy a complete build and then almost entirely rebuild it. We discussed the possibility of me ordering all/most of the parts through the shop and them crediting me for the take off parts. But they didn't want to do that. So we had another conversation about how I was going to shop around and get some used, some take-off and some Euro sourced parts to offset the bath I was going to take when I flipped the low end parts on Ebay. Then we talked about the ton of cash I WAS going to spend at the shop on the parts that aren't worth price shopping for.
    I did expect some hangups. But like Hubbs said, it's frustrating that I'm the one who always has to be smarter about bikes than the bike shop. And how they're serially incapable of foresight. Just tonight, 24 hours after the brake adaptor discussion, they called to say they just noticed that I'll also need handlebar clamps because the Sram shifters now don't have the Sram brakes to clamp onto. He asked if I wanted him to order some. Said they'd arrive next Wednesday. Did not mention anything about Memorial Day, so I'm guessing Hubbs is right again. Shopping on Amazon right now, slowly putting the LBS out of business, not because of prices, but because most of the time I'm better at doing what they do than they are.

edit: Just moved to Virginia. Tons of gravity oriented mountain bikers here.

WHAT FUCKING SHOP DOES NOT HAVE A SRAM SHIFTER CLAMP IN STOCK!
    I have 4 in my parts bin in personal garage. Have they never installed a set of aftermarket SRAM brakes and an aftermarket SRAM shifter together, and put the leftover clamp in the drawer? Do they not have a single FUCKING SRAM shifter on the wall with a clamp in the box, that they could steal until Wed (aka Thursday)? How about one of the bikes on the floor? Or off of a broken shifter in the Broken Bin?
    "Sorry sir we don't have one in stock, we'll order one from SRAM"
    THIS SHOP DOES NOT WANT TO MAKE MONEY. OR DOES NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO MAKE MONEY!
    Jm2e started his thread the right way, asking for expert opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Question for the experts:
    Shimano vs Sram adaptors, are they interchangeable?
    I feel my previous experience as a service manager in a high end bike shop gives me this expert opinion. My job was to make sure my mechanics had the tools, parts and materials to do their jobs well. Their job was to fix bikes, and the shops job was to charge $80/hr for their work. Room for 3 mechanics, 3 bike stands, store open 10hrs a day 7 days a week, that's a possibility to make $2400 a day in labour charges with no cost of good.
    You have to sell a lot of bikes and helmets and add on water bottle cages to make $2400 a day.
    I don't care if you bought your parts on the internet, or if you whittled them out of wood, bring them into the shop, a service writer will take your order, tell you what parts will needed to be added to the order, schedule you a repair, and give you an estimate cost and time it will be ready. THEN the skilled mechanic works on the bike and make the $$$$ for the shop. The mechanic is not wasting his time talking to customer, trying to order parts, discussing his whittling ability, he fixing bikes and making money for the shop.
    When you take your car to the shop, the mechanic does not come to the front and discuss what sound your car makes, NO he's in the back making the shop money. You deal with a service written. Bike shops need to figure this out.
    I know I said /end rant above, but this works me up. And when people cry about supporting the local shop, the shops need to change their business model to compete with the internet. What can't the internet do? Fix bikes, if people need their bikes fixes they will come to your shop, as long as you're a fucking WEAK SAUCE shop that does not have a brake rotor adaptor or shifter clamp in stock.
    [/end end rant. ]

thats a great rant and you managed to get it all out without sounding entitled

Dee Hubbs is right on. There are two things that brick and mortar can do that the internet cannot:

1) demo bikes

2) fix bikes

That's it. You can't compete on price on parts, sorry. I feel bad for shops because I do all my own work but the shop I demo'd from and ultimately bought my Patrol frameset from has this figured out. They carry very little in the way of new bike inventory, but their showroom is full of demo bikes and they've got tons of bikes of ALL makes, models, and vintages in there for service. There's constantly 3-4 guys with bikes on stands wrenching every time you walk in. You want to buy a bike, they order it for you, you need a fix, they'll get you out of there in a timely fashion. And they have beer on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    thats a great rant and you managed to get it all out without sounding entitled
    entitled
    adjective
    "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment"

Not sure where I sounded entitled?
    In my previous carrier path I managed a bike shop. I have direct training and experience in a role where it was my responsibility to ensure efficiency, effectivity and fiscal responsibility within the shop. The shop the OP is posting about is failing in all these areas. I'm confirming with the OP that he is correct in being disappointed in the service (read paying for) he is receiving from his shop.
    I'm not sure what I'm entitled to? When I take my business to a shop, and they charge me $80+/h to service my bike, I would hope they can fulfill the high level of standard that the bike industry has set this price on. I expect to get what I'm paying for, is that were I'm entitled?

If for whatever reason the shop ain't got the part the end user was supposed to ordered, then they ain't got the part, they are still holding up their end which is to keep the door open and fix stuff, now if the shop didn't have the part they promised the end user that would be a legitimate beef

No matter now many parts you got you will always be out of something, in another life we had 10 million $ worth of parts in the warehouse in richmond and when I ordered parts they could still be out for whatever reason and so the parts guys would go thru the usual channels to find that part, sometimes they would even charter an airplane

Maybe they sold their last 203mm Shimano adapter earlier that day?

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    #nottriggered

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    #nottriggered
    Nah, just suggesting perhaps a LBS in Virginia isn’t stocked too deep in 203mm rotor adapters. Never personally ridden in Virginia, and the OP seems to suggest the gravity scene there is alive and well, but still, I have to think that shop’s bread and butter clientele may be a little different than what you encountered in Whistler.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Perhaps. Still seems weak that they couldn't MacGyver it with some washers or whatever to get him rolling while they waited for the part. IME, that's what you guys would have done. I can only imagine what the guys at jm2e's shop would have thought if they could have seen what Kris and Dustin pulled off to fix Sam's bike before Sundance last year.

The shifter clamp thing is unforgivable regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Perhaps. Still seems weak that they couldn't MacGyver it with some washers or whatever to get him rolling while they waited for the part. IME, that's what you guys would have done. I can only imagine what the guys at jm2e's shop would have thought if they could have seen what Kris and Dustin pulled off to fix Sam's bike before Sundance last year.

The shifter clamp thing is unforgivable regardless.
    I think cobbling something together for a racer who is friends of the shop is a different situation.

I don't buy much of anything on the webz but if I did and I forgot the 203mm adapter I would have tried to buy it at another shop in town with the strong sauce