Good Riding Around Provo or Springville, UT?

I have to drive over to Springville to pick up a trailer in the next two weeks, and I thought I'd make a day of it by getting a decent mountain bike ride in. Looking for something around three hours, maybe 12-15 miles?

Any recommendations?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FruitaGJ-FromScott-6.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	283210

I am subscribing to this thread. I have always wondered.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

2nd Water up Diamond Fork Canyon is super fun, rode it two summer back. Recent report on TF indicates it was dry as of two weeks ago, but we've seen a lot of rain since. The creek crossings might be spicy/sketchy (I don't remember how many there are). I'm not sure how high that guy made it. Lots of snow above 7.5-8k right now.

Maple Canyon/Mapleton Ridge looks fun and has been on my tick list for a while, but I still have yet to actually ride it. Quite a few creek crossings I believe, which might not make ideal this time of year.

Orem Bench has a big network of trails. They're mostly unsanctioned/unsigned, but it's been several years since I rode down there, and from what I can see on TF it looks like there's a fair amount of new stuff, too. Also lots of stuff off the Squaw Peak road that I've never explored. BST also runs from Springville almost to Provo Canyon.

Bottom line, there's a LOT of bike-legal trail in that area, but quality is variable. It's all on Trailforks with mostly good descriptions and recent conditions reports. 2nd Water is probably the best "sure thing" option, or a well pre-planned route in the Orem Bench stuff. But, poke around on TF and see what you think. Report back for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    2nd Water up Diamond Fork Canyon is super fun, rode it two summer back. Recent report on TF indicates it was dry as of two weeks ago, but we've seen a lot of rain since. The creek crossings might be spicy/sketchy (I don't remember how many there are). I'm not sure how high that guy made it. Lots of snow above 7.5-8k right now.

Maple Canyon/Mapleton Ridge looks fun and has been on my tick list for a while, but I still have yet to actually ride it. Quite a few creek crossings I believe, which might not make ideal this time of year.

Orem Bench has a big network of trails. They're mostly unsanctioned/unsigned, but it's been several years since I rode down there, and from what I can see on TF it looks like there's a fair amount of new stuff, too. Also lots of stuff off the Squaw Peak road that I've never explored. BST also runs from Springville almost to Provo Canyon.

Bottom line, there's a LOT of bike-legal trail in that area, but quality is variable. It's all on Trailforks with mostly good descriptions and recent conditions reports. 2nd Water is probably the best "sure thing" option, or a well pre-planned route in the Orem Bench stuff. But, poke around on TF and see what you think. Report back for sure!
    2nd Water is great, not exactly maintained or popular though, and has a hot springs on the trail. Pretty sure Squaw Peak has great trails, I really gotta try them this summer. What about the Xc loop at Sundance? Anyone done that? Or you could ride lifts at Sundance which is pretty fun.

Hot springs are on 5th Water. Same TH, though.

Coming that way on Thursday or Friday AM.... and it looks like rain the next few days. Maybe I won't be riding after all.

Yeah, it's been SLCeattle lately. Friday might be OK.

Hot springs are on 5th Water. Same TH, though.
    I need to look at map to remember what I rode, sorry. A bit of both with a lollipop loop on top I think.

If it's raining, go ride lifts at Sundance. or just hike to 5th water hotsprings. Eagle Mountain trails absorbs rain well, although they are small little trails and might bore you.

You went past the hot springs up and down? Sounds like you did the standard 5th Water lollipop loop. Connecting to 2nd Water from the lollipop portion involves 6 miles on Center Trail that you'd definitely remember. When I did it I did the full 5th Water lollipop back down to the TH, then an out-n-back on 2nd Water up to where it ends at Center. I thought the downhill on the lower half of 5th Water was underwhelming and much preferred the 2nd Water DH. Next time I do it I'll go up 5th, do the lollipop, then take Center to 2nd Water.

5th Water hot springs seemed kind of trashed when I was there.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-21-2019 at 01:01 PM.

You went past the hot springs up and down? Sounds like you did the standard 5th Water lollipop loop. Connecting to 2nd Water from the lollipop portion involves 6 miles on Center Trail that you'd definitely remember. When I did it I did the 5th Water lollipop, then an out-n-back on 2nd Water up to where it ends at Center. I thought the downhill on the lower half of 5th Water was underwhelming and much preferred the 2nd Water DH. Next time I do it I'll go up 5th, do the lollipop, then take Center to 2nd Water.

5th Water hot springs seemed kind of trashed when I was there.
    You know more about my ride than I remember, ha. I was going to go down 2nd but the top part of 5th seemed so fun I skipped 2nd. Then got stuck overtaking hikers for a long time. One thing i do remember is going down 5th and taking a deer trail down to the hots spring, thinking it was the main hike/bike trail. I skidded to a stop, looked up, just as a dude bent over butt naked to dry himself off. My upper lipped curled and started twitching uncontrollable for a bit after that. Worst timing ever.

Hot springs are a bit trashy, sometimes crowded, yes, be warned. Might be fine early on a weekday morning tho.

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Coming that way on Thursday or Friday AM.... and it looks like rain the next few days. Maybe I won't be riding after all.
    It has been intermittent rain and snow at casa de shredalot at circa 7k' today in Parleys Canyon. Anything higher than us is probably seeing a fair bit of frozen precip right now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk