Mountain biking California's Central Coast?

Going to have about a week to meander from LA to Monterrey and will have bikes in tow. Any can't miss riding? CA access seems so hodgepodge, but I see a few state parks and other rec areas that look promising.

So far I'm looking at Oats Peak in San Luis Obispo and Fort Ord and Toro near Monterey.

Give up and boogie over to Tahoe?

Pack at least a gallon of Technu.

If your trip is before July, don't bother with Tahoe. The best stuff might still be under snow til then. Some lower stuff will probably be open though.

I'm not aware of much between SLO and Monterrey. SLO has good riding though. You could easily spend a few days in Santa Barbara if you like big, technical descents. Tons of stuff in the Santa Monicas up to Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley as well, and also Mount Wilson above Pasadena. Then just enjoy the drive up the coast.

Had a fun afternoon in Montana de Oro State Park near SLO last year on a road trip.
    Name:  44827860_10156581576347348_7445723384148656128_n.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  101.8 KB
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

You're on the right track. Near SLO, Oats peak is awesome, also do hazard peak while in mdo, pretty mellow riding, but definitely worth it. Irish hills is good for some more rocky/technical. You can shuttle, or just ride the stuff off TV tower road which is pretty fun too. SLO is very agreeable to mountain bikers in general and the hikers are usually friendly so be nice back. If its on the mtb project/trailforks I wouldn't hesitate to show up at the trail head and go for it.

Fort Ord is fun for a day also. As mentioned, Tahoe probably is not worth the detour with those other options up high is still definitely buried.

Bring lots of Tecnu, the poison oak is thick this year with the rain.