Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I F-IN HATE CHIP-SEAL

There you go, I said it.
    They are about to chip seal all of the inner park loop of GTNP, and this makes me mad.
    Another rationale for getting the gravel bike, I guess!

Think of the children!

Grumble...(first world problems)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I F-IN HATE CHIP-SEAL

I feel your pain. Get some 28’s and thick cork tape.

Anybody tried a Redshift stem? Do they help?

Is there any human being who doesn’t hate chipseal?

I bet the guy who invented that bullshit is even like fuck chipseal when he’s getting tar all over his fenders and cracks in his windshield.

Exactly.
    I would like to see all of the numbers (long term and short) that they use to rationalize this method.
    Do they do it in Europe?

I F-IN HATE CHIP-SEAL

It fucking blows. Just 30 minutes ago I saw some guys coming into our little store after going over the pass and I asked “how was the ride?” and they said it was pretty good, and I said oh you must love chip seal. They both howled laughter.
    It’s what caused me to early adopt tubeless 15 years ago. When you’re going along riding on chip seal and then you hit smooth pavement, you get a full gear, or maybe even two with the same effort.
    Plus, the shit doesn’t last.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It really sucks on a motorcycle.

I F-IN HATE CHIP-SEAL

I had the good fortune of driving over a freshly chip sealed road on a 90 degree day when I lived in PA. No warning signs or anything, the fuckers should have had it closed down overnight. It look about 6 hours with 2 cans of WD40 and elbow grease to remove most of it. Couldn’t get it all.

Would have ruined a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Exactly.
    I would like to see all of the numbers (long term and short) that they use to rationalize this method.
    Do they do it in Europe?
    Not numbers, but perspectives from a Boise company who does chip sealing. https://www.pavementspecialties.com/.../why-chip-seal
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Yeah, I guess 20% is nothing to sneeze at...

But it means that you have no pride.

Thanks, Obama!

I swear they only do it to the most popular bike routes around here, and on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I had the good fortune of driving over a freshly chip sealed road on a 90 degree day when I lived in PA. No warning signs or anything, the fuckers should have had it closed down overnight. It look about 6 hours with 2 cans of WD40 and elbow grease to remove most of it. Couldn’t get it all.

Would have ruined a new car.
    I hit a long stretch of it the first summer I had my white BRZ. After spending countless hours the following weekend trying to get it off unsuccessfully I gave up. The rockers are still covered with the shit 5 years later

20% is a decent savings, but notice how they don’t mention it’s longevity.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My area in PA is the new chip/tar capital of the world. They just pop up and lay that shit down with no warning.....

They are now even laying it on perfectly newly paved roads......they say it helps to preserve the road...they turn a perfectly smooth road into a shitty tar covered mess......has to be stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

Hate that shit.....

Road the double divide out of Helena one year (of many) and found out the morning of the second day the had chip sealed all the way from Lincoln to the top of the pass. It was like 1/2 inch to an inch deep. Back in the day of 19-23c tires. No fun.

Still better than the snow year though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    My area in PA is the new chip/tar capital of the world. They just pop up and lay that shit down with no warning.....

They are now even laying it on perfectly newly paved roads......they say it helps to preserve the road...they turn a perfectly smooth road into a shitty tar covered mess......has to be stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

Hate that shit.....
    It does improve the wear life of the road.

I've had enough listening to whiny roadies complain about chipseal to last a lifetime. Get some fatter tires and pretend it's Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    20% is a decent savings, but notice how they don’t mention it’s longevity.
    I know the site sez 20% cheaper than repaving but I gotta question that figure, cuz when I see the amount of manpower/time /materials they thro at a repaving job compared to chip sealing its not near as much

we were discussing while socializing with the local district manager of highways here who skis/ bikes/ SUPs, buddy told us sealcoating ( up here its called sealcoating ) is 1/6th the price vs repaving
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    It does improve the wear life of the road.

I've had enough listening to whiny roadies complain about chipseal to last a lifetime. Get some fatter tires and pretend it's Belgium.
    Good morning to you, too!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I know the site sez 20% cheaper than repaving but I gotta question that figure, cuz when I see the amount of manpower/time /materials they thro at a repaving job compared to chip sealing its not near as much

we were discussing while socializing with the local district manager of highways here who skis/ bikes/ SUPs, buddy told us sealcoating ( up here its called sealcoating ) is 1/6th the price vs repaving
    Haven’t seen wholesale sealcoating as much as I used to, at least on the main highways. Just a crew going along and applying the tar and gravel to the individual cracks.
    I also wonder how it all compares to the hot-in-place asphalt recyclers that seem more common on the major highways nowadays.

I seen a BC highways info sign up on hy 16 talking about replacing the road bed down 12 inches so it drains and works better at -30

there is only so much money for road maintenance so i think the hot-in-place is cheaper than completely tearing up the road/ repaving, and seal coating is the cheapest

frankly road maintenance is not a very exiting subject

I've had enough listening to whiny roadies complain about chipseal to last a lifetime. Get a Peloton and ride in Belgium.
    FIFY

^^that was good.

What if a very occasional roadie with UST rims wanted to get chipseal friendly tires on the cheap, though? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Haven’t seen wholesale sealcoating as much as I used to, at least on the main highways. Just a crew going along and applying the tar and gravel to the individual cracks.
    I also wonder how it all compares to the hot-in-place asphalt recyclers that seem more common on the major highways nowadays.
    You don’t seal coat roads.. you chip seal them, the seal doesn’t provide any traction, that’s what the chip is for (it’s a wearing course).

7/8” and 5/8” chip sucks for bikes, especially the first few years.

Want to know what you call a crack in the road hat you don’t seal?

A baby pothole

If you are properly maintaining roads, something only a few local and state entities do right now, you are touching them every 5-10 years with a chip seal, then maybe a 2” overly 15 years out....

I came up with a double chip seal that rides almost as smooth as new asphalt, but it’s twice as expensive as a single chip.

Which is still less than an asphalt overload

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

The nations infrastructure is crumbling. Chipseal is the DOT version of duct tape. Just trying to get that shit to last a few more seasons before they are forced into spending the big bucks on some Patagucci 3-layer goretex pro full depth road replacement. Politics are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Politics are to blame.
    aka everybody wants everything, but nobody wants to pay for anything.

everyone wants to get to heaven but nobody wants to die