Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sell me a mtb for a 5’11 195# that won’t kill my bank account.

I am kinda jong-ey in bike knowledge. I am looking to upgrade a 2011 Ellsworth evolve 29er. Prefer Xc/enduro type ride. I have updated my Ellsworth about as much as I can. Time for a new steed less than $3500? So sell me your older, or suggest an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Xc/enduro type
    Not trying to be a dick, but xc and enduro are two fairly different types of setup these days. May be worth clarifying what kind of riding you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, but xc and enduro are two fairly different types of setup these days. May be worth clarifying what kind of riding you have in mind.
    Appreciated! Most of my riding is PNW type flowey trails with roots and rocks. No lift serve and no big drops or hucks. Previous fork was 4" could go up but not completely necessary.

I'm sure I will get panned for this due to the brand, but have been riding the Stumpjumper Comp alloy 29 that I picked up for $2800 earlier this year. I'm really digging the bike, but it is heavy at 33#. I think Specialized offers a lot of bang for the buck at the lower end of their line. Frame is clean and offers a solid platform for upgrades to lighten things if desired. Mine is Shimano drivetrain before they switched it up to SRAM.

The caveat with this bike IMO is that I do use the platform lever on the shock in climb mode for any extended climbing. It sits pretty low in the suspension in the trail or open mode, but I run it in trail mode a good majority of the time for ups and downs. I'm sure there are newer designs that climb and descend well without the need for a platform lever (and many SJ riders don't use the climb mode), but I think the price may not be as attractive. Specialized still offers a lifetime frame warranty.

Is it ok to say "all mountain" again yet? Lots of longer travel 29ers for this now: Yeti SB130 or SB150 (or a used SB5.5), Spot Mayhem, Ibis Ripmo, SC Hightower LT.

Do you have a direction in mind already OP? I have a friend who's local to us that's been demoing Yeti and Ibis from Wheel Sport (and others) for a day or two and trying the bikes out at Syringa and Beacon. I went along on a few rides and it was interesting to watch him decide that we need snappier rides up here. He liked the SB130 a lot but concluded the Ripmo (little livelier/not quite as stable at speed) was better suited for the trails here, even though it didn't pedal quite as well for him. (I've only ridden those in Moab, where I definitely the favored Yeti/Spot feel as less vague and more efficient, but Syringa does like quick steering...could be a POP thing?)

ETA: sorry, some forgot the back account part for a moment and hadn't spotted the no-hucking. I'd still recommend one of the more recent 29ers, though, if you're already coming from wagon wheels. $3500 isn't a bad budget, though: SB5.5s on pink bike in that price range and ssmokan's Spot demos were pretty close last year.

Look at YT bikes. Bang for buck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Good stuff, keep it coming. Jono, seems you are familiar with the 7B Inland NW style riding so thanks for chiming in. You might send your buddies my way who are upgrading their rides this year. I have done zero demo-ing of other rides so it's hard to narrow down all the options. Hence, starting here.

That was my first thought, too, but that bike is a little small, unfortunately. If I hear of something else I'll let you know.

Do you get up on the high stuff in the Cabinets at all? That may get an overweight status in my head for some reason; 67 and 120 in particular.

Check out Intense Primer or one of their other models. https://intensecycles.com/collections/primer

They sell direct now so might be hard to get a demo, but their foundation build is $3300 and according to the site right now you might get a free extra set of carbon wheels. Looks like a decent build for the price, though I'd personally want something better than the Revelation fork. A few friends ride Primers and I was able to demo one a while back - very nice pedalling and capable bike that is at the top of my list for a short travel bike.

Or look used - for $3500 you should be able to get a nice used bike.

Funny, I was just wondering about Diamondback's Catch with 29" wheels and noticed they'd snuck that by during ski season, re-labeled as a 29" Release. Which seemed a little disappointing with a 67.7 deg HA and 73 deg SA--until I read the numbers on that Intense. Is Intense re-labeling a plus bike there, too? They claim "slack" HA, steep SA and shorter chainstays right in their ad copy but the numbers are 67.5/72.3.

Not that either of those options shouldn't be considered since both the DB and Intense seem decent builds for the money. Free race wheels and a 50T...

That geo just seems weird. Maybe they get there next year?

Eta: Link for pinkbike's DB release story:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...bon-syncr.html

I've got the Intense Primer and love it. I actually chose it over a couple other options because of the more conservative geo. Arizona riding means a lot of chunk and I found longer/lower/slacker bikes got hung up more. I specifically remember demoing a Giant Trance 29 and bashing my bottom bracket on rocks numerous times in a quick 10mi test ride. In short: another vote for checking out the Primer and demo to decide whether you really like extreme modern geo.

All of the direct-to-consumer brands will have good builds for your price range: YT, Canyon, Commencal. I ended up with Intense because they're still selling them in shops too so I was able to ride one. Most of the big brands will have lower value builds in that price range too.
    It sucks to suck.

sent you a PM

Check out these Guerrilla Gravity bikes: https://ridegg.com/thesmash

Super fun bikes, barely over your budget for new.

Check out the Transition Scout or the Canyon Strive. I think Evo.com has some 2017 transition close outs that are around 3k. Commencal Trail is another good option. And finally, you may be able to find a Yeti SB5.5 on PinkBike for around that price.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

A smidge over budget, but:

https://www.fezzari.com/lasal

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...-sal-peak.html

You also get their "love it or return it" policy and lifetime guarantee...that's worth a couple bucks.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    They are COMPLETELY different categories. And you're right - OP needs to clarify if he wants a bike that climbs great (XC) or one that descends great (enduro) - or if he really wants something that is middling at both.

aka "trail"

Judging by your contradictory description, I think you want what the industry is calling a "trail" bike now, something with around 120-130mm travel in the rear and 130-150mm in the front. I recommend looking at the Transition Smuggler (29er) or Scout (27.5) (I own an alloy Smuggler) or YT Jeffsy (haven't ridden). You want a size large. Both are similar bikes. They will be responsive and fun on flowier trails, but still get you through things when the trail starts getting steep or chunky.

NX (entry level) carbon Smuggler runs $4k, but you could buy an alloy frameset from them for 2k and add on a GX build kit that's on sale for $1700. You'd still have to then have a shop assemble the kit though. Scout is alloy only, runs $3k for NX build kit or $4k for GX build kit. YT Jeffsy has models for $3,500 & $4,000.

My pick of the bunch would be the GX Scout, based on the suspension and wheels it comes with, and my own preference leaning towards more aggressive bikes. Transition's GX build kit is really well thought out, and consists of solid, reliable components.

Norco Torrent FS 1 is worth a look if you're not opposed to 2.8 tires: https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain.../torrent-fs-1/

Build is ridiculous for the price. I assume the bike could run 29" wheels as well, but best to confirm that with Norco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip> if you're not opposed to 2.8 tires
    Goddam clown-bikes.

Not my bag, but some people seem to like them. It's odd as hell 29" wheels aren't a stock option for that bike, and I'm positively dumbfounded as to how that build is offered at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Not my bag, but some people seem to like them. It's odd as hell 29" wheels aren't a stock option for that bike, and I'm positively dumbfounded as to how that build is offered at that price.
    Super-good deal on DVO suspension after Giant dumped them?

Great stuff guys. And indeed, it is trail that I seek. I like the climb and I want to be a billy goat on the up, but also want something fun for the down. Again no major hucks, but I dig hopping and getting horizontal on the berms. Thanks for all the recommendations and used offers. I will likely settle on one of those, but gotta free up some gear for cash. I am now slightly less jong-ey in the bike world thanks to your contributions. Thanks.

FWIW, I recently picked up a lightly used demo L Evil Following MB (120 rear/130 front) with E.13 carbon rims and XO Eagle drivetrain off pinkbike. A touch more than your stated budget but bitchin bike in great shape