Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Home saunas

Home saunas

Anyone have a home sauna they love?

Looking to get a stand alone sauna and after comparing infrared and conventional I’m leaning toward the infrared but have never used one before and was wondering if the 130-140 max temp they quote for infrared equals the same heat feeling of a 180-200 conventional.

The science says infrared is better but I’m a little skeptical after decades spent in old school saunas.

I got nothing except Conrad Anker is pimping saunas for a local company on tv.

The more I look at the kits online I’m tempted to just DIY it.
    I have the tools and experience to build it but time is limited so I’m shopping around for the best options.

I've been looking into them a bit and IR seems like the way to go but like you I've never been in one so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger. There's been a lot written about the health benefits of frequent sauna use in the past few years, and what's been reported is pretty amazing. Like for example a 48% decrease in all-cause mortality for users who do 4-7 sessions/week. That's astounding and I can't imagine it will hold up entirely but still. Also they're pretty short money, about $2 grand will buy you a really nice one and half that will get you a serviceable one.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0223122602.htm

Can you use water in an IR sauna? My in-laws have a shower head and a drain in their sauna and taking a shower in there is so much better than just a regular sauna.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty sure no. Maybe you could rig it up somehow but I kinda doubt it.

Kind of what I figured, in that case I would do a normal sauna with a shower in it if possible and design yourself

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've been looking into them a bit and IR seems like the way to go but like you I've never been in one so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger. There's been a lot written about the health benefits of frequent sauna use in the past few years, and what's been reported is pretty amazing. Like for example a 48% decrease in all-cause mortality for users who do 4-7 sessions/week. That's astounding and I can't imagine it will hold up entirely but still.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0223122602.htm

There are a few “spas” downtown I could schedule a test run with an
    infared, they have float tanks as well which is a whole nother wormhole.

I vote for a steam room which is not the same as a traditional Finnish steam sauna. Ideally it should be tiled and big enough to lay down in

Name:  steam room.png
Views: 753
Size:  335.6 KB

but if you can't swing that there are these:

https://www.aquapeutics.com/steam-sh...8aAhfxEALw_wcB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

You can do it a lot cheaper than that, you can buy a steam generator and retrofit an existing shower or tub enclosure, we did that years ago in our old house and it worked perfect. Steam has issues though. Hard water fucks with the steam generator, billows of water vapor in the house, increased shower cleaning (and you have to leave the door open when it's not in use or it will quickly become a terrarium) etc. Plus it's gonna cost you pretty good money no matter how you do it.

The beauty of IR saunas are they are relatively cheap, simple, clean, don't put a ton of heat in the house, don't use that much power, etc.

Mine is wood fired albeit a separate structure. Takes ~1.5 hours to get to temp but it is rad. Don’t overlook the simplicity of a small wood stove in a cedar box.
    Uno mas

Stop fucking around and get the deprivation tank.

Paging William Hurt

what'd you want to know?
    just do it
    buy a prefab free standing kit if you want and set it up in your basement, master closet, or garage
    they are pretty tacky but work
    or call me my steam showers run 20-25k to start
    custom saunas are cheaper 12-18k
    done a few commercial steam rooms and saunas
    do not use anything but redwood or cedar in your sauna
    I prefer Amerec products when it comes to steamers and sauna units, pretty much all I'll put in
    the units are pretty easy to work on and install and get parts and customer service is excellent
    bought alot of product from a website: steam sauna bath, tacky website but their customer service is great too and they stock lots of stuff
    I provide discounts if you get the hooker and allow me to break in your steam room/sauna

Fred do you know much about IR saunas? Ever heard of this company? https://www.jnhlifestyles.com edit: just did some more research, fuck that company

There seems to be a lot out there regarding health benefits, muscle recovery, reduced body fat, immune system, detox, reduced stress and increased relaxation, etc. Also, there are many different type of IR saunas: frontal heating surround heaters, etc. Here is a great website that explains a lot, and offers a great product:
    https://infraredsaunadealer.com/health-benefits/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Fred do you know much about IR saunas? Ever heard of this company? https://www.jnhlifestyles.com edit: just did some more research, fuck that company
    Never done IR, never heard of it until this thread
    always the real thing, doubt I'd do it or let a customer do it, seems too "fake" but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    There seems to be a lot out there regarding health benefits, muscle recovery, reduced body fat, immune system, detox, reduced stress and increased relaxation, etc. Also, there are many different type of IR saunas: frontal heating surround heaters, etc. Here is a great website that explains a lot, and offers a great product:
    https://infraredsaunadealer.com/health-benefits/
    It's the CBD of saunas!

Man I could use a steam bath right now. Tweaked my back this morning picking up a bag of scratch. Oy vey... the cosmos has been messing with me the last three days... shit just keeps happening.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I heard if you buy one your BF or GF will come back, your PU will start and your dog will stop dying all without listening to country music ?

I've seen the prefab IR units put into a back room in a yoga studio with just an electrical hookup, pretty cheap and easy and it was easily removed as the business situ changed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FIL has had an IR one in an out-of-the-way spot in his basement for close to a decade. He and his GF use it almost daily, and claim to miss it dearly when traveling. They swear by its benefits, but they are both the stereotypical boomer west coast hippies. I’ve never used it, but love a good old fashioned finnish sauna. No space for such a structure in my yard though. Thought about a building sweatlodge-style collapsible one a few times, but it hasn’t risen in priority sufficiently to happen.

Worth the 12-18k just to have fastfred around. Entertainment value!

Wait, I thought taking cold showers and sitting in snow was the new health benefit? Do you need crystals in your sauna for maximum health effect?

Great for hangovers.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Wait, I thought taking cold showers and sitting in snow was the new health benefit? Do you need crystals in your sauna for maximum health effect?
    Statistically, is there any better health benefit than joining a health conscious cohort?

drink less/ eat less/ move more/ lose weight is gona do you way more good than eating crystals but its a hard sell
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know