Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Home saunas

For those sauna loving van dwellers there's alway this option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01717_1IAP8zYF7Xo_1200x900-e1561486339951.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	287166
    This Van Is For Sale, And It Comes With A Matching Sauna Trailer

https://expeditionportal.com/this-va...sauna-trailer/

First pics of new infrared sauna. First test drive was great. Wifi, color therapy. comfy.

Name:	IMG_4930.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	288272

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	464.3 KB 
ID:	288273

Name:	IMG_4934.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	288274
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Looks nice. How'd you decide on that brand? And what model is it? Rough idea on cost? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Mine is wood fired albeit a separate structure. Takes ~1.5 hours to get to temp but it is rad. Don’t overlook the simplicity of a small wood stove in a cedar box.

Scribed logs with split log benches on gravel. Rough cut plank floor. Door on leather hinges. Romex overhead to light socket. Slate peat & purling roof. Big pile of rocks around the wood stove. Basin of hose water with scoop, hose faucet with pallets outside. Dangerous hot near stove, steam like a lash, cooler and almost tall enough for standup sex nearer door..can be too hot...

Sweat, wash, leave better than you entered, every time.

Clearlight by Jacuzzi
    northwest Canadian spruce cabinet
    Bluetooth iOS Smartphone control (listen to tunes/books while in cabinet)
    From phone ability to set sauna at anytime from anywhere
    Best heating system in industry made in Cali.
    Medical grade light therapy
    8mm glass throughout
    500 watts for two person unit.
    Need full 20amps to operate.

Not cheap: https://infraredsaunadealer.com/saun...nfrared-sauna/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    For those sauna loving van dwellers there's alway this option.

Name:	01717_1IAP8zYF7Xo_1200x900-e1561486339951.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	287166
    This Van Is For Sale, And It Comes With A THICC White Girl

I hear they're pretty spendy.

Bumping this thread - Schindler or Mud, do y'all have any thoughts on your saunas now that you have had them for a minute? We've got the bug right now and the price of those IR models sure is appealing, even if I would prefer a traditional model.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

My wife and I still use our sauna 3-4x/wk. It's killer. I would recommend it to anyone. We do ~130F for 35/40 min. then hit the cold shower followed by a beer. Our sauna is hard-wired for sound, so we can pump our fav. Spotify or Netflix of the day whole sweating up a storm. That makes for a great night's sleep.

I’m also interested in thoughts on IR.

Would probably prefer a steam shower though. But throwing an IR in the basement would be a lot cheaper, easier, quicker.

My house came with a sauna. Had to replace the heater and controller. Around $500
    Other than that it’s an insulated box lined with cedar. Not that hard to build. Although cedar has gotten way more expensive lately.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Just closed on a sweet new property. Thinking of building a cedar sauna into one of the semi-finished rooms in the basement. I know cedar is not cheap at all, but I'm guessing with me doing all the labor + materials + dry heat unit wired up it would still come out cheaper than rouching $6500 for the smallest IR sauna?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Just closed on a sweet new property. Thinking of building a cedar sauna into one of the semi-finished rooms in the basement. I know cedar is not cheap at all, but I'm guessing with me doing all the labor + materials + dry heat unit wired up it would still come out cheaper than rouching $6500 for the smallest IR sauna?
    Yep. Not sure how much cedar would be. But mines about 8x8 feet tongue and groove planks. So do the math and check wood prices. Just make sure to box out and super insulate the ceiling. Otherwise you will have heat in the first floor that could warp your hardwood. Mines a prefab box with airspace above. But even with that you can feel the heat in the bedroom above.
    It doesn’t have to be as big as mine. It’s just a what I got. The dead space in front of the two benches is useless to me. But definitely build an upper and lower bench. And make sure it’s long enough to lie down.

You might look around and see if anyone is selling a used one. Things like these get resold for pennies on the dollar. They're all pretty much the same with a simple controller and a few IR heaters in a cedar box. I helped my neighbor repair one last year and it was one of the "better" companies and their tech support was virtually useless. They all buy containers from China and put their sticker on it. On the other hand it's a relatively simple device with a touch screen, main controller with power supply and heaters.

$6500 for the smallest IR sauna?
    Are you a Costco member? They have a bunch of 2-3 person models available for way less then $6500.

please someone tell me why this is a terrible idea:

https://www.costco.com/almost-heaven...100485086.html

I have a room that should be perfect for it & I think I can run 220v down there without too much trouble

Because the outdoor one is way cooler?

https://www.costco.com/.product.4000225468.html

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    You might look around and see if anyone is selling a used one. Things like these get resold for pennies on the dollar. They're all pretty much the same with a simple controller and a few IR heaters in a cedar box. I helped my neighbor repair one last year and it was one of the "better" companies and their tech support was virtually useless. They all buy containers from China and put their sticker on it. On the other hand it's a relatively simple device with a touch screen, main controller with power supply and heaters.
    This. I see them listed fairly regularly. Even saw one listed as free that looked brand new. They’re out there

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Are you a Costco member? They have a bunch of 2-3 person models available for way less then $6500.
    Oh wow I had no idea. Looks like people like these infrared ones huh?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Because the outdoor one is way cooler?

https://www.costco.com/.product.4000225468.html
    The indoor one is pretty much long enough to lay down in. That + easier to maintain/run power to makes it appealing

Love my sauna! If I lived at the cabin full time I think I'd be in there 3-4 times a week all year

Name:  20230304_175816-01.jpeg
Views: 305
Size:  82.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20221125_152004-01.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	473840
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

disregard dumb double post

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    please someone tell me why this is a terrible idea:

https://www.costco.com/almost-heaven...100485086.html

I have a room that should be perfect for it & I think I can run 220v down there without too much trouble

Three grand for pine? Wtf

Repeating myself. But a heater and controller is around five hundo. The cedar or pine walls is up to you.
    I’ve been in an infrared at a rental. It’s not the same.
    A regular rock sauna you can put water on and juice the heat is so much more satisfying.

The Russian bathouse on division in Chicago was so much fun. But man. When someone threw a scoop of water in the furnace you could only be on the top bench with a wet towel over your head. Sauna and steam and heat is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Three grand for pine? Wtf

Repeating myself. But a heater and controller is around five hundo. The cedar or pine walls is up to you.
    I’ve been in an infrared at a rental. It’s not the same.
    A regular rock sauna you can put water on and juice the heat is so much more satisfying.

The Russian bathouse on division in Chicago was so much fun. But man. When someone threw a scoop of water in the furnace you could only be on the top bench with a wet towel over your head. Sauna and steam and heat is great.
    I was a regular at the really nice and huge cedar sauna at the local hot springs for quite some time. They regularly had it at 170-180 in there. People were always juicing it up despite the signs saying "no water on the rocks".

I have the space so maybe building my own outdoor one steps from the hot tub would be the ticket. Cold plunge as well to get our full nordic cycle going.

Cruiser do you have plans for that one above? looks freaking perfect.

I do not. Some friends of ours operate a saw mill during the warmer months so they were able to take our basic size requirements and then build it from there. All the lumber was milled on site from trees that were dropped at the neighbors.

Basically the unit is about 12'x6'. The changing room is about 3.5' wide and the hot room is about 7.5' with the kick ass bottle wall separating them. It's super over built with hudge joists to handle the snow load, tons of insulation, solar for the lights and fan, and even a french drain beyond the perimeter so that we can deep clean it and hose the interior out seasonally.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

That sauna looks fantastic