Ground Fall in LCC

A friend, mentor & long time SLC climber took a ground fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon this past Sunday. He was leading Callitwhatyouplease & had a piece pop, leading to a fall that left him with a broken vertebra. So far he's avoided surgery and is headed to an in-patient therapy center today following a 5-day stay at IHC. Jim's been a part of the Utah climbing scene since the early 80s & is a fixture at the Momentum gym in Millcreek. He's not able to work for the near term so any donations will go towards getting him back on his feet & covering expenses in the interim.

He'll appreciate anything you're able to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/jim-william...Q21EZwj6j8E1LA

full writeup is here:

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 Jim Williams took a fall on a trad route in Little Cottonwood Canyon. His first piece popped out, and he hit the ground from about 13 feet up. This fall resulted in a back injury, a hip injury, and five days on the trauma floor at Intermountain Health Center. Currently he is moving to Stonehenge Rehab Center in South Jordan and will have a long road of rehab ahead of him.

Like many climbers, Jim subscribes to a minimalist lifestyle and has insurance to match. His medical bills coupled with not being able to work paint a dreary picture. Also, Jim works with furniture for a living – meaning heavy lifting. He will not be returning to this anytime soon.

Chances are, if you’ve climbed at Millcreek Momentum you probably know Jim, and he’s likely given you a catch. At the very least he’s given you a smile, a witty joke, and encouragement on your projects. Although he doesn’t make it well-known, his generosity and eagerness to help others is unmatched. We are all aware that he gives so much to our community and rarely takes anything in return.

The goal for this campaign is $19K, however his medical bills alone will exceed $40K. We’re requesting that you give what you can to help support Jim now.

shit news and the system sucks. is that route really slick at the bottom from decades of being hammered on? hoping for a speedy recovery.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

It is a bit tricky getting to the next placement above the first piece. He's doing as well as possible though. No need for surgery so far, he's walking around & able to care for himself. Hasn't needed opiates since the first few days at the hospital. If his evaluation is good on Tuesday he'll go back home. Quite a few of his friends have stepped forward with donations, visits & plans for helping him at home so the future is looking good. The gofundme should pay for most of the medical expenses so it's a big load off his shoulders.

sounds like he's going home in the update today. fkna!
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Glad to hear he is doing better. Also cool how many people chipped in for him, seems like a good guy. Crazy the extent of his injuries from only 13í. Itís all how you land I guess.

Yeah he got home last Thursday night. The hard part starts now in terms of getting back to work and staying relatively inactive while it heals. Did a bbq welcome home thing on Saturday & stopped by tonight with a meal. He's a bit frustrated having his favorite hobbies restricted (can't mountaineer anymore - knee & shoulder issues, biking is limited, hiking & now climbing). One day at a time.

We had an 18 year old fall to her death on the Yellow Dog Dingo route in Clear Creek Canyon/Idaho Springs yesterday (I dispatch for Clear Creek). Injuries suck, but tell your buddy you're glad he's healing, and to keep his survival/recovery in perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Damn, sorry to hear. You in the office or have to pick up the pieces? JW's doing well, back in the gym to socialize while he heals. He made it out to the local climbing summer party last week as well. Every time I talk to him people come up & wish him well - it's obvious he's been buoyed by all the support. GFM took care of a big chunk of his medical costs as well so things are on the up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Damn, sorry to hear. You in the office or have to pick up the pieces? JW's doing well, back in the gym to socialize while he heals. He made it out to the local climbing summer party last week as well. Every time I talk to him people come up & wish him well - it's obvious he's been buoyed by all the support. GFM took care of a big chunk of his medical costs as well so things are on the up.
    Iím a desk jockey, Iítís my job to notify the people who pick up the pieces, make sure they get there, and have everything they need. I also got to talk to a number of traumatized witnesses, and thankfully no one immediately related. Iím a dispatcher, not a grief counselor.

Glad to hear your friendís improving, sorry for being a Debbie Downer, just clicked on the thread at the wrong time around here. We had someone go for a swim in the creek near the same spot today and make it out safely. Nice to have a positive outcome once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.