Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Joffre aka Last Descents thread

Cody has generous with all of us derailing his Fifty thread. With the ongoing collapse of Joffre figured it was time for its own thread.
    Name:  IMG_5322.JPG
Views: 5549
Size:  242.7 KBName:  F5322AFC-0799-42CE-9ACF-5B654F4CE544.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  237.3 KB

Now outdated by yesterday’s larger collapse, here’s some photos from Sunday nights first

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5993.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	990.6 KB 
ID:	282878

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Awesome!

https://globalnews.ca/news/5287436/j...ide-in-a-week/

Looking at the pics, as it stands now it may be too soon to say central is gone. the upper is still there and the lower could hold snow we won't know until next year unless the rest of the wall collapses.
    we do know that it's not central any more. ;-)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Wow that is just Crazy! Was Cody the last to ski it? Nobody is ticking off last descents! So legendary

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Wow that is just Crazy! Was Cody the last to ski it? Nobody is ticking off last descents! So legendary
    They skied the still intact Joffre Couloir

Taking "timing is key" to the next level

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Neither Cody nor the rest of us had any idea how prescient he was in making that comment, and in what way we're in an era of last descents.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-19-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Prescient though not exactly in the way he intended... Funny how our interpretations of prophecies are always just a little bit oblique to their real meaning, way back to the Greeks. At least if you believe in that kinda thing.

By the look of the ice composition that's a hanging glacier on top of there, right? Never have I seen that term become so literal. Even disregarding the rock that thing's gotta be destabilized as hell now. What even happens usually in this situation? I guess there wasn't a moraine holding it in before really, but I can't imagine the remnant being long for this world even if it does stay mostly stuck to the rock.

Name:  IMG_5353.JPG
Views: 3315
Size:  322.0 KB

Name:	IMG_6032.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	283047

Name:  IMG_5355.JPG
Views: 3221
Size:  248.9 KB

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Central Couloir before

Name:	centralcouloirbefore2012IMG_2262.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	283065

Central Couloir after

Name:	centralcouloirafterDSC02795.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	283066

"Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice"

Will Durant

Shot from the side of Joffre Peak. Steep as it looks.

That's the face that Matt Bodkin and Andre Ike skied direct from the Peak to Twisting in the late 90s I believe?

I followed their tracks down and skied Twisting. Our tracks were probably right along the line of the fracture where the hanging glacier fell to its death along with the rest of the snow and ice on Joffre.

Name:  14-may18-sideshotDSC02786.jpg
Views: 3230
Size:  105.7 KB

So it certainly looks like Central still goes. An damn that thing is fat in your before pic. I could ski that if i could get across that rib into the gut.

wow. so are there any warning signs for this kind of thing? would be a real shitty way to go... what causes the face of a mountain to fall off? glad no one in the area..

Right?

Was this event something where a geologist might have looked at that face last year and thought “that’s unstable” or was this mysterious and random. Seismic activity?

Gnarly

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    wow. so are there any warning signs for this kind of thing? would be a real shitty way to go... what causes the face of a mountain to fall off? glad no one in the area..
    I'm gonna say the power of water & gravitii.
    But I'm no geologist

My wife’s cabin is on the other side of the massif, under Twin Goat. Catelina Cr has a fairly recent return interval for torrents, it was lucky that the last time it puked out no one was hurt. The community is faced with the cost of millions to try and mitigate the risk from the ‘smaller’ debris torrents; no mitigating if something of this scale came off the mountain though.

Wow, those are crazy pics. Just like when there was massive rockfall in Yosemite last year, my buddy said, "Geologic time takes millions and billions of years. But we are also in it - right now."

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    So it certainly looks like Central still goes.
    with a parachute maybe?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    with a parachute maybe?
    Para Chute...fify
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Joffre aka Last Descents thread

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    Ask Alex Lowe

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Ask Alex Lowe

we're not talking about seracs breaking off.. that's normal, and to be expected.. it's an objective risk everyone is well aware of.. we're talking about the side of a mountain falling off, not a regular occurrence where i'm from.

Rapid warming and rapid snow melt a likely cause of the slide according to landslide scientist blogger guy: https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...k-temperature/

As far as whether Central goes or not, it does look like the lower portion of the couloir still may be in tact, though it may be more planar now which would negatively impact snow sticking. That being said, the reason I spoke of last descents in the episode was because of the local knowledge that was saying the receding of the glacier was the primary culprit for snow not stacking into the exit of Central very well anymore. So in my opinion, what was already an issue for Central being less skiable than ever has become exacerbated by the rockslide. But of course there is a chance the fan rises in elevation and makes it more skiable... We'll have to wait till winter to find out.

Oh and the next mountain that everyone is watching with highly suspect eyes is Currie. I saw some fucked up rock formations and rock moats on the ridgeline that look hair trigger.

This photo taken from the air on Saturday May 18 shows the massive scale of the run out.

Name:	joffre_slide_by_wilfried_braun_26.21_mg_2743.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	283289
    PHOTO BY WILFRIED BRAUN
    It came from the article in the local newspaper:
    https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...t?oid=13870490

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Oh and the next mountain that everyone is watching with highly suspect eyes is Currie. I saw some fucked up rock formations and rock moats on the ridgeline that look hair trigger.
    Currie rumbles all summer long. Big pieces let go all the time. It's only a matter of time before a really big event happens on Currie.