Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    IMO, it's not necessary. The spring will outlast the plastic (and the skis themselves) regardless.

But there is grease in there, so backing the DIN off for the summer does spread the grease around a bit, which is not a bad idea.
    I've wondered what hot boxing the skis does to that grease inside the bindings..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've wondered what hot boxing the skis does to that grease inside the bindings..
    The only people who should be hot boxing their skis are racers. It's completely overkill for anyone else. And race skis have plates. You should be taking the bindings off.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only people who should be hot boxing their skis are racers. It's completely overkill for anyone else. And race skis have plates. You should be taking the bindings off.
    Most of the online photos I see of alpine ski hot boxing show the bindings still on. Clearly some people leave the bindings on. quite a few.

I had this discussion with racers on PugSki. Most seem to think the grease in bindings doesn't break down at 140-150 degrees. I find that hard to believe

If that did happen, it's not hard to put more grease in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ...Pugski. Most seem to think the grease in bindings doesn't break down at 140-150 degrees. I find that hard to believe
    Polimer chain breakdown or deformation? Loss of flavor? Fahrenheit, though, right?

I've hot boxed hundreds of pairs of skis with the bindings on for four hours at 150F/65C with absolutely no ill affect on the binding grease, or anything else.

Is it true the primary use of the hotbox in most shops is for warming up leftover pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i still love spring break plus hotboxxed with skis on!
    I think you can leave the bindings on but you don't wana wear your skis in the hot box
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is it true the primary use of the hotbox in most shops is for warming up leftover pizza?......
    There's never any pizza left over in my shop.

how about warming chicken Tika Masala, the most popular takaway in england, you know ... because brits can't cook
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've hot boxed hundreds of pairs of skis with the bindings on for four hours at 150F/65C with absolutely no ill affect on the binding grease, or anything else.
    Kooky talk, Shirley. You using space age synthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Kooky talk, Shirley. You using space age synthetics?
    You don't know what you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If that did happen, it's not hard to put more grease in there.
    Only as hard as disassembling the binding, removing the spring, slathering lithium grease all around it and putting it back together.. X4..

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

I think you can leave the bindings on but you don't wana wear your skis in the hot box
    Home Sauna Thread Jong!

A properly engineered coil spring (for any application) should really not suffer any metal fatigue (with the possible exception of corrosion-induced fatigue, or forces outside design parameters, etc).

As alluded to earlier: I would suspect every single other moving part on the binding, before assuming it's the springs.

Wouldn't boot wear, lubrication break down, road grime etc all cause bindings to test high. The OP's toes are testing 2 numbers low.
    I don't know this binding (I realize not knowing Pivots is grounds for being banned)--is toe height adjustable? Although I assume any shop testing bindings would make sure that's correct and I wouldn't expect loose toe height to cause that far out of spec.

When faced with a test result you can't explain, consider retesting (at a different shop).

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wouldn't boot wear, lubrication break down, road grime etc all cause bindings to test high. The OP's toes are testing 2 numbers low.
    I don't know this binding (I realize not knowing Pivots is grounds for being banned)--is toe height adjustable? Although I assume any shop testing bindings would make sure that's correct and I wouldn't expect loose toe height to cause that far out of spec.

When faced with a test result you can't explain, consider retesting (at a different shop).
    We think alike. Something seems awry.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

No toe height adjustment on those things.

A symptom of insufficient forward pressure is pre-release.

Not clear but did the OP have these tested when new? Could have been 2 out the whole time rather than something going off?

Quote Originally Posted by scottishrider View Post
    Not clear but did the OP have these tested when new? Could have been 2 out the whole time rather than something going off?
    No. They are second hand mogul skis. The shop also checked for forward boot pressure. So I guess it is what it is.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Are they off all over the place or off the same every time? Because that is a big difference.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Are they off all over the place or off the same every time? Because that is a big difference.
    Every time.

update: Picked up a better set of used mogul skis and had new Look 14 bindings installed. The toes test +0.5 DIN and the heels test -0.5 DIN.
    All I can guess is that the deviation from the previous set to this set is related to boot sole wear and binding wear. The boots are a little worn (walking wear) and don't sit 100% flat anymore. I suppose that is why the toes need adjusting upwards. Heels? I have no idea. The tester tested them, adjusted them, cycled them several times and says that the answer is "All bindings test on/off spec and there is no single factor why. Even new boots with new bindings often test +/- to rated DIN by more than 1 DIN. "
    It just freaked me out because I don't want toes that never release! I will sleep better now knowing that the shop guy cycled them, adjusted forward pressure and retested them.
    Now I just need to learn to ski moguls! :P

A tech should be able to give your a equipment the occular pat down and pass or fail it.
    The fact that it doesn't sit flat doesn't sound good, but the fact that the bindings show the same release value every time is good. That can be easily corrected for. It seems there is quite a bit of tolerance in the system as a whole and that means wear and tear, ranges of forward pressure, and (hopefully slight) variations in actual release values. Nevermind the effects of ski flex and centrifugal force, torque, impacts, etc.
    Unfortunately, no one has figured out a safer way.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.