Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 48 of 48
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    IMO, it's not necessary. The spring will outlast the plastic (and the skis themselves) regardless.

    But there is grease in there, so backing the DIN off for the summer does spread the grease around a bit, which is not a bad idea.
    I've wondered what hot boxing the skis does to that grease inside the bindings..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've wondered what hot boxing the skis does to that grease inside the bindings..
    The only people who should be hot boxing their skis are racers. It's completely overkill for anyone else. And race skis have plates. You should be taking the bindings off.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,101
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    spring always comes after winter but sometime you don't get much spring
    i still love spring break plus hotboxxed with skis on!
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only people who should be hot boxing their skis are racers. It's completely overkill for anyone else. And race skis have plates. You should be taking the bindings off.
    Most of the online photos I see of alpine ski hot boxing show the bindings still on. Clearly some people leave the bindings on. quite a few.



    I had this discussion with racers on PugSki. Most seem to think the grease in bindings doesn't break down at 140-150 degrees. I find that hard to believe
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    5,943
    If that did happen, it's not hard to put more grease in there.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ...Pugski. Most seem to think the grease in bindings doesn't break down at 140-150 degrees. I find that hard to believe
    Polimer chain breakdown or deformation? Loss of flavor? Fahrenheit, though, right?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    805
    I've hot boxed hundreds of pairs of skis with the bindings on for four hours at 150F/65C with absolutely no ill affect on the binding grease, or anything else.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,504
    Is it true the primary use of the hotbox in most shops is for warming up leftover pizza?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i still love spring break plus hotboxxed with skis on!
    I think you can leave the bindings on but you don't wana wear your skis in the hot box
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is it true the primary use of the hotbox in most shops is for warming up leftover pizza?......
    There's never any pizza left over in my shop.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,504
    how about warming chicken Tika Masala, the most popular takaway in england, you know ... because brits can't cook
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I've hot boxed hundreds of pairs of skis with the bindings on for four hours at 150F/65C with absolutely no ill affect on the binding grease, or anything else.
    Kooky talk, Shirley. You using space age synthetics?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Kooky talk, Shirley. You using space age synthetics?
    You don't know what you don't know

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If that did happen, it's not hard to put more grease in there.
    Only as hard as disassembling the binding, removing the spring, slathering lithium grease all around it and putting it back together.. X4..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

    I think you can leave the bindings on but you don't wana wear your skis in the hot box
    Home Sauna Thread Jong!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    469
    A properly engineered coil spring (for any application) should really not suffer any metal fatigue (with the possible exception of corrosion-induced fatigue, or forces outside design parameters, etc).

    As alluded to earlier: I would suspect every single other moving part on the binding, before assuming it's the springs.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,160
    Wouldn't boot wear, lubrication break down, road grime etc all cause bindings to test high. The OP's toes are testing 2 numbers low.
    I don't know this binding (I realize not knowing Pivots is grounds for being banned)--is toe height adjustable? Although I assume any shop testing bindings would make sure that's correct and I wouldn't expect loose toe height to cause that far out of spec.

    When faced with a test result you can't explain, consider retesting (at a different shop).

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North of 49
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wouldn't boot wear, lubrication break down, road grime etc all cause bindings to test high. The OP's toes are testing 2 numbers low.
    I don't know this binding (I realize not knowing Pivots is grounds for being banned)--is toe height adjustable? Although I assume any shop testing bindings would make sure that's correct and I wouldn't expect loose toe height to cause that far out of spec.

    When faced with a test result you can't explain, consider retesting (at a different shop).
    We think alike. Something seems awry.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    5,943
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't know this binding (I realize not knowing Pivots is grounds for being banned)--is toe height adjustable? Although I assume any shop testing bindings would make sure that's correct and I wouldn't expect loose toe height to cause that far out of spec.

    When faced with a test result you can't explain, consider retesting (at a different shop).
    No toe height adjustment on those things.

    A symptom of insufficient forward pressure is pre-release.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    23
    Not clear but did the OP have these tested when new? Could have been 2 out the whole time rather than something going off?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North of 49
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishrider View Post
    Not clear but did the OP have these tested when new? Could have been 2 out the whole time rather than something going off?
    No. They are second hand mogul skis. The shop also checked for forward boot pressure. So I guess it is what it is.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,891
    Are they off all over the place or off the same every time? Because that is a big difference.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North of 49
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Are they off all over the place or off the same every time? Because that is a big difference.
    Every time.

    update: Picked up a better set of used mogul skis and had new Look 14 bindings installed. The toes test +0.5 DIN and the heels test -0.5 DIN.
    All I can guess is that the deviation from the previous set to this set is related to boot sole wear and binding wear. The boots are a little worn (walking wear) and don't sit 100% flat anymore. I suppose that is why the toes need adjusting upwards. Heels? I have no idea. The tester tested them, adjusted them, cycled them several times and says that the answer is "All bindings test on/off spec and there is no single factor why. Even new boots with new bindings often test +/- to rated DIN by more than 1 DIN. "
    It just freaked me out because I don't want toes that never release! I will sleep better now knowing that the shop guy cycled them, adjusted forward pressure and retested them.
    Now I just need to learn to ski moguls! :P

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,891
    A tech should be able to give your a equipment the occular pat down and pass or fail it.
    The fact that it doesn't sit flat doesn't sound good, but the fact that the bindings show the same release value every time is good. That can be easily corrected for. It seems there is quite a bit of tolerance in the system as a whole and that means wear and tear, ranges of forward pressure, and (hopefully slight) variations in actual release values. Nevermind the effects of ski flex and centrifugal force, torque, impacts, etc.
    Unfortunately, no one has figured out a safer way.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •