Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on visor helmets

Seeking any beta from mags on helmets with visors.
    Pros/cons, advantages, problems, what to look for or avoid.
    Sick of trying to deal with OTG goggles, and looking for something better.

"But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to shred?"
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Dark Helmet!Name:  Dark_Helmet.jpeg
Views: 1233
Size:  41.3 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've seen a couple guys skiing in the Giro one. I applaud Giro for taking on the near impossible task of making a helmet that looks dumber than the Ruroc stuff.

That aside, I'm skeptical that the face shield would create a good seal against one's face, which means there'd be watery eyes when skiing fast.

Just wear contacts?

Visor as in face shield

Or

Visor as in brim/bill

I assume face shield. I am interested in the giro for my lady as she hates goggles

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

hard no

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    "But with the blast shield down, I can't even see! How am I supposed to shred?"
    May god bless you many a time

NO to visor helmets (full face shield) Some really good OTG goggles on the market Smith I/OX and Oakley Flight Deck are amazing

Helmet's been working for 10 years, visor for 50. Love the setup. For No-Fog OTG sunglasses, shop the ski department at Bartell's. $20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0395.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	283069
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

ProSki

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    May god bless you many a time
    "Yeah, well -- CS2-6 abides."
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Face shield, of course.
    Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts, and while my Smith Knowledge turbofan goggles work (more or less) with glasses, they're not especially comfortable, the field-of-vision sucks, and the seal wouldn't make a walrus happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    Face shield, of course.
    Unfortunately, I can't wear contacts, and while my Smith Knowledge turbofan goggles work (more or less) with glasses, they're not especially comfortable, the field-of-vision sucks, and the seal wouldn't make a walrus happy.
    I use the Smith turbo fan with the prescription inserts they are the tits. Smith calls them the “Ocular Docking System, ODS.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Face shield, of course.
    I've seen people jogging with these visors in the hollywood hills. Maybe attach a baklava to the bottom and call it good?

Name:  paparazzi-thwarting-reflective-visor-xl.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  63.8 KB

You gotta kick it old school.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Rb6vjC.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	384.9 KB 
ID:	283220
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I've seen people jogging with these visors in the hollywood hills. Maybe attach a baklava to the bottom and call it good?

Name:  paparazzi-thwarting-reflective-visor-xl.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  63.8 KB
    How does one affix said greek pastries to such a visor? do they go in front of your mouth for hands free snacking? if so, I bow to your genius.

the seal wouldn't make a walrus happy.
    HA! Hahahahaha

Thanks. I needed that

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    How does one affix said greek pastries to such a visor? do they go in front of your mouth for hands free snacking? if so, I bow to your genius.
    I don’t want to cunt up this thread, so I’ll start a baklava mount thread...

I’ve never used a face-shield helmet, but I have a few ideas about why I only see them on low-speed, groomer-oriented ski bunnies in stirrup stretch pants (NTTAWW stirrup stretch pants - in the right application at least).

1) do you like face shots? I do - one of the easiest ways to know you’re having one of the best days of the season. You won’t like it with a visor helmet I think.

2) in foul weather (storm and/or super cold), I strongly suspect the inside of the visor would quickly frozen-fog up.

3) high speeds. Doesn’t seem like your eyes would be adequately protected from the wind (this applies to...regular old wind too)

Goggles are made to keep the elements out. A visor would only seem to do half the job - great for ponce-ing about but not fully battle ready.

P.S. I’ve had turbo-fans - complete nightmare

i used to rail on people with visor helmets. Super lame Euro look. Then i skied a day with Bode MIller, he wore one. Franz Klammer sports one as well.

I would not be caught dead in one, but those guys certainly give it some credibility.

Yeah, kinda figured what the downside would be.
    Still, good enough for Bode & Franz is probably way cool for a jong like me.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    i used to rail on people with visor helmets. Super lame Euro look. Then i skied a day with Bode MIller, he wore one. Franz Klammer sports one as well.

I would not be caught dead in one, but those guys certainly give it some credibility.
    M,
    I love Bode, great guy, amazing skier, etc etc but imagine that visor was from one of his sponsors, no? Super spendy?
    Like Kjuss, maker of $1700 jackets? or Bomber, maker of $2000 skis?
    likely this $750 helmet? https://bomberski.com/outline-logo-helmet.html

Sure he does.... I would to

OP if you want to spend $750 on a helmet knock yourself out, but I think working with Smith you could sort your glasses problem out for far less coin and have it work better in more conditions.

I wouldn’t be caught dead in them but imagine they’re pretty comfortable and will, in the end, take over; just like e-bikes.

Starting to see more and more options available at a range of price points. From the retail/sales perspective it becomes very easy for high volume hire/rental shops at destination areas to rapidly sell four of these to a family rather than fit/sell each person for both helmets and goggles, as well as keeping everything stocked.

Look like they need a breath deflector like a snomo helmet.

If turbos don't work otg, get rx goggles.

Or just get LASIK/PRK/IOL and stop fucking around. you can afford 750$ helmets you can afford a lasik payment plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Or just get LASIK/PRK/IOL and stop fucking around. you can afford 750$ helmets you can afford a lasik payment plan.
    Need LASIK? Try ICON Lasik, sponsor of Bode Miller....