Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Peloton Group

OK had the pelo for a full yr now and used it sporadically last winter but started back up after the snow started falling and I am fully addicted now. if I don't get my peloton in daily it's like not brushing my teeth or something- just can't go on with the day until it's done
    I have yet to do multiple rides in a day yet but yesterday considered it bc I was supposed to ski after work but forgot my pass
    my name is cgx. I'll look up the tag etc

Also was looking for some other info about the bike the other day and read that when you hit 100 rides you can get a 100 ride shirt (just pay the shipping) But if you try to order the shirt prior to completing 100 rides apparently they will to charge your card $100k LOL
    not that I want a shirt but that is pretty darn funny
    skid luxury

has the video of your journey debuted in the bear household?

ugh I have basically never taken a selfie (ok ok maybe one or two to send to my mom only bc she complains when she doesn't see my face often enough)

it's funny bc one of the maggots here that also followed me on instagram etc said she didn't realize I was a girl for a long time bc "I never posted selfies" lol. it's not my style.
    but also don't hate on it just bc of a bad commercial :P (and I'm with you that it was a bad commercial) I know you are just picking though
    sooo much better than having to deal with going to a class, much time wasted in the drive etc and oh shoot I'm running a little late #f*ckedonyourworkout. The peloton is there and waiting for when it works for you and a HELL of a workout.
    The app is also worthwhile- core, strength, running w/o's too to mix it up.
    might be a good outlet for dealing with your back issues too? so many options and hard for me to get as much burn without this motivation.
    I share it with a couple coworkers so that makes it more affordable. I know your main coworker is your wife but she might dig it too
    skid luxury

Peloton Group

It was a cheap shot

I’d totally get one if I didn’t already have a bike, rollers and an iPad

(not kidding, I want one)

Bike position is still verboten...but not out of my future

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Wife started on a $200 craigslist bike and the peloton subscription on her iPad

Sadly once you buy the bike they charge way more for the monthly subscription
    I think it’s a scam that they charge more for the metrics etc.

But she seems to like it.
    I can do the scenic rides but the classes suck. I just don’t enjoy getting yelled at. Maybe my shrink can overcome some childhood trauma there.
    . . .

I finally drank the kool-aid, broke down and bought one. Between work and other excuses I can make up, I've gotten so lazy since the summer. Need to get back in to a good routine.

Bike was delivered Tuesday. I finally had time yesterday evening to do a short 20 min beginner ride to try to get things dialed in. I've been using a knock off bike for the last 2 years off and on. Wow! What a difference so quiet and smooth! Now I regret waiting for so long.

Bot posting is one of the disciplines of spam that involves spamming on threads on your forum. All bots must adhere to strict algorithms and have all the necessary software. For example, best spam for tgr helps to accelerate the maximum speed of the banhammer.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 09-19-2021 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Thanks mags for reporting all spambots!

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

So for those of you who have a smart trainer and have ridden Zwift, TR, SF etc what are your thoughts as far as smart trainer (Kickr/Neo/etc) vs. Peleton? I’ve never ridden it so just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    パウダーバカ!!

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts as well - I'm happy with Zwift, but my wife is pretty interested in getting a Peloton, and it would be a PITA to keep swapping bikes on my smart trainer anyway. She was a commuting cyclist back when we went to offices, but isn't that big on road biking.

Different means….

One has a resistance knob. One has gears.

An instructed spin class is different enough from an interval based trainer workout… if you’re an avid cyclist and not sure if you’d like a peloton or a trainer, go to a local spin studio and try a class….

It’d be pretty clunky to do a peloton class on a wahoo, but people do it.

I don’t think it’s possible to zwift on a peloton.

If you have the means and space. A peloton is great. If it keeps the wife happy and looking good it’s worth the money. Plus you have the ability mix it up and hop on the peloton and bang out a 45min’r with Kendall

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I'm curious to hear people's thoughts as well - I'm happy with Zwift, but my wife is pretty interested in getting a Peloton, and it would be a PITA to keep swapping bikes on my smart trainer anyway. She was a commuting cyclist back when we went to offices, but isn't that big on road biking.
    We were in the same boat and just got a Stages SB20 and 2 zwift accounts. It's a 30-second process to adjust the SB20 for different riders and requires zero maintenance/upkeep. It's $1k more than a Peloton, but if you sold your trainer you'd likely be close in price given how much $ those are selling for. Of course, that only works if your wife doesn't care all that much about the spin class environment in Peloton. If she wants that Zwift def won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    bang out a 45min’r with Kendall

Now you have my attention

Best bot bump ever... This thread had two posts over 3 years and was silent all through the lockdowns when gyms closed and home based workouts got more popular than ever. Not it's poppon'
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

There are some work arounds for zwifting on a Peloton bike - even a device that will adjust the tension automatically. People have installed zwift on their peloton screens (I don’t own a peloton bike so have no experience with these zwift workarounds).

We use the peloton app (which somehow is cheaper per month than what a peloton bike owner has to pay monthly) and that gives you full access to all their recorded classes - biking and stretching, yoga, bodyweight strength, core etc. As far as I can tell all you miss out on is the social media aspects of the live classes app.

Banging out 45 with Kendall on the spin bike or yoga mat is inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    bang out a 45min’r with Jess

FIFY

Well yeah her too. Even Ally Love sometimes.

Mmmm- Jess and Kendall. I have come to the right place.

I'm realizing I don't know shit about Peloton. What's the difference between a Peloton bike and any other stationary bike? Cause yeah, if it's cheaper to use the app on some other stationary bike, that could be appealing. Lots of stationary bikes on Craigslist, not many Peloton bikes, and they're going for pretty close to retail

My understanding:

Peleton bike (the actual bike) is fancy looking but expensive. Comes with big screen attached. You pay a lot for the bike and then pay a monthly fee to use the app. You can do live classes with a degree of interactivity. You also can do the pre recorded classes. The resistance settings on the bike match the resistance settings the instructors are mentioning. You have to adjust the resistance yourself. If you want to do a yoga class/stretching class etc you turn the screen on the bike so that you can see it from your exercise mat. I’m guessing you can also login through an iPad for pre recorded classss.

Alternatively you can subscribe to the app to access the pre recorded classes (this is what we do) and do the spin classes/workouts etc on your iPad. You don’t get as much social media like interactive features. You pay less per month. You are not locked in to a Peloton bike. Easy to view screen because your iPad can go anywhere.

You can Zwift on a non peloton spin bike if you have a way to transmit power/cadence via Bluetooth or ANT+ (some bikes do that - or you can buy power pedals [expensive]). Unlike a smart trainer you will have to adjust the resistance yourself manually (vs a smart bike/trainer doing it automatically)

You can potentially zwift on a peloton branded bike with some work arounds. A peloton bike is not a smart bike so the resistance will still have to be adjusted manually (although I have seen devices marketed to try and make a peloton bike a smart bike)

If you are a family that is going to use a mix of peloton and zwift then a good option is to use a spin bike that can transmit power to zwift and a monthly app subscription to peloton. In my humble and not an expert opinion.

Thanks! All good info. I already have a Suito smart trainer, but based on this, I'll have my wife check out the Peloton app on her existing dumb trainer before we get a dedicated stationary bike, Peloton or otherwise.

Probably can do a free trial. The ability to filter through the classes is great (eg I will select 15min class length….I want to do a core workout….I want it to be set to hip hop music= 8 classes shown. The just pick whichever instructor is looking hottest )

It’s weird that peloton charges us less for the freedom to do their classes without buying their expensive hardware.

I used to be a Peloton hater (I still think it's pretty weird and definitely overpriced) but after having access to one during a rainy covid spring I gotta say they're awesome. Great way to enjoyably kill yourself in 30 mins when you're feeling unmotivated to exercise and it's shitty weather outside. My girlfriend might buy one soon, if so I'll join the group

I think of it like a boat - I could never justify buying one but it's nice to have a friend or family member with one
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Thanks for the feedback and comparisons.

パウダーバカ!!