Having something shipped from Canada to US - duties/taxes/other costs?

Trying to understand the duties/taxes/other fees involved with getting something shipped from Canada. Looking to purchase a frame from somebody in Toronto but can't find explicit information on how much it'll cost me in fees, other than shipping fees.

Frame will be about $700 USD and based on information I did find, items with declared value under $800 are free from import fees? Is that true or is there small print that I'm missing?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/ta...nd-levies.html

you could try looking here ^^ but i think anecdotal info you get might be rather nebulous

usually its stufff going the other way cuz there are 10 times as many people down south
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just to be clear, the shipping direction is from Canada to US. The frame is $1000 CAD, which is about $750 USD.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Sounds like you're right on the line. You could certainly declare it for a little less, gambling only losing the difference, if it gets trashed/disappears.

UPS or Fed Ex will charge you brokerage fees. Your deal will no longer be a deal.
    Make sure he sends it to you via Canada Post/USPS.
    Make sure on the customs form he clearly states the product as USED SPORTS EQUIPMENT - BICYCLE PATRS, and do not put Taiwan (or whatever Asian country) as country of manufacturing.
    Other than that your fine...

cool! thanks for the tips!

Better check what tariffs the Don has imposed to protect you from the Canadian threat to your national security

Agree with using the postal service instead of UPS/FedEx, and putting used bike parts on the customs paperwork. Highly doubt there are any duties on used stuff, and certainly won't be trade tarrifs.

america has agreed to give up on steel and aluminium tariffs so good news eh

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tar...heel-1.5141686

I just wonder how the grownups at the white house snuck this past Trump?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-18-2019 at 10:41 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know