Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Greetings from West Portugal!

ha that map is pretty much right on point. Portsmouth's cool and has good food and beer but Dave's right that good seafood will be all over the place in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    ok,,,heading there tomorrow with the bride and son,,,,sat/sun/mon - thinking that Portsmouth might be the closest place for great seafood? Any recommendations for there or the Hampton Beach area?
    -Portsmouth
    Surf and Jumpin' Jays are good for seafood. Plus a whole bunch of other spots.
    Ferry Landing is a classic spot by the tug boats for fried food.
    Flatbread pizza
    Just outside of town...which has parking...is Cornerstone Pizza and other food. Across the street is Street resturant. International style food available.

-North Hampton check Throwback Brewery.

-Hampton kind of sucks for food honestly.

Definitely do not eat at North Beach Grill. It's next to a cool surf shop though, Cinnamon Rainbows. Also on that corner is the Secret Spot and thats good for lunch take-out/little spot to sit outside. Acai bowls and such.

WHYM (water, hops, yeast, malt) in Hampton is opening today. That is the spot for the best beer selection. Probably a new chef from their previous spot, so no call on the food yet.

Smuttynose brewery just added to their outdoor venue which is pretty cool now. Their beer is decent and food is ok.

The Galley Hatch is a staple down town and the food is ok.

The Atlantic Grill is decent food, but pricey.

Logans Run is a junkshow. Don't go there.

Pizza is up and down at the Community Oven. Wood fired, so sometimes it's hard to cook consistently I guess...idk.

-Newburyport is good.

Paddle In is a cool spot with good eats.

There's a bunch of other spots in Newburyport also.

I don't eat at Hampton Beach, so I cannot really recommend anything down there. Well, in the off season we'll take out at the chinese place Ocean Wok and just north of the 'strip' is Ron's Landing. Ron's is $$ though.

Just head north of Hampton Beach to other beaches with a more mellow vibe when needed.

Have fun!

Oh shit, Hampton, North Hampton, and Rye just went on a "Boil water" alert. This is a first for me...wtf. Maybe you should change your destination man!

ok,,,heading there tomorrow with the bride and son,,,,sat/sun/mon - thinking that Portsmouth might be the closest place for great seafood? Any recommendations for there or the Hampton Beach area?
    This place rools
    Plastic checkered table colths, great seafood, decent beer selection.

www.newicks.com

Been hitting it whenever I can since NH wife took me there the first time in 06

Newicks is pretty bad compared to other offerings. Franklin oyster house is also great. Be aware: its UNH move in weekend so it may be more shitshow than normal.

Haha! Newicks! I worked there for a half a summer in Hampton during HS. The dishwashers made the coleslaw...never eat the coleslaw! And yeah, there is much better available.

There is Petey's in Rye for the same scene but better. Still all that shit is overpriced fried food.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Haha! Newicks! I worked there for a half a summer in Hampton during HS. The dishwashers made the coleslaw...never eat the coleslaw! And yeah, there is much better available.

There is Petey's in Rye for the same scene but better. Still all that shit is overpriced fried food.
    As Dave pointed out, over priced fried seafood is everywhere. Too bad they need to make the bulk of their revenue in three months time. Sure doors drive the price of it up.

Fried clams are good, but fried scallops are better. Love that shit, but I can only have one meal of fried seafood per visit. Otherwise I start feeling bogged down. A plate of that stuff feels like 4 pints of DIPA in my gut.

Petey's and Newicks are open all year long. The stuff at the strip closes down.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Newicks is pretty bad compared to other offerings. Franklin oyster house is also great. Be aware: its UNH move in weekend so it may be more shitshow than normal.
    Newicks is nasty, but I wasn't paying the bill We went there a few times in the late 90's for some family dinners. It was a halfway point for different parts of the family and one my uncle's had a restraining order, so he wasn't allowed in York County, ME, iirc, which would have been the better choice that would have also satisfied various folks. I dunno why they didn't just pick somewhere better. Family. My wife who doesn't like seafood at all was difficult to convince to go there, especially after the time she got violently I'll.

Portsmouth is not in York County. Some decent places there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Portsmouth is not in York County. Some decent places there.
    I agree. However. It wasn't on the table, I forget why. Family shit. It was Dover or Ogunquit, and the later was out because of the one uncle. Which lead to my wife puking in the hotel room during one of the trips, instead of a romantic get away.

anyone in portsmouth now?

What's up? I work right outside of town.

damn,,,just had a great meal on the water...heading back to h. beach.....was at martingale wharf.

so wheres a good place to live between portsmouth and good NH skiing?

I work in Portsmouth most days.

^^killer town....wife already planning our retirement in NH in 3 years...make that 2 years/11 months but whose counting.

Too many New Hampshirites there. New Hampshirians?

well i dont havvvve to like them. just live there. i heard they don't take kind to outsiders though.
    .son bought a nice long-board at cinnamon rainbows, got me for cool shoes too. nice shop.
    Last edited by cinnepa; 08-26-2019 at 07:09 PM.

There's a lot of reasons to like the place no doubt.

^^killer town....wife already planning our retirement in NH in 3 years...make that 2 years/11 months but whose counting.
    If you're looking in the seacoast - bring your checkbook or live slightly outside commute to Boston range. Prices have gotten stupid in Portsmouth and the immediate surroundings.

^^^that would put a hurt'n on my pension for sure. probably need to get inland more.

If you're not stuck on the coast idea, that whole Rindge-Peterborough-Jaffrey-Keene region is nice. Rural, pretty country, not that far from a lot of stuff. Pretty mildish winters generally, colder than the coast but it's as far south as you can get in NH.

.son bought a nice long-board at cinnamon rainbows, got me for cool shoes too. nice shop.
    Nice, that's my bud Crops shop. Waves today too. Head to the north side of Jenness Beach for more mellow less powerful sets vs the shitshow crowds of the Wall. It will probably be crowded everywhere, but that's surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If you're not stuck on the coast idea, that whole Rindge-Peterborough-Jaffrey-Keene region is nice. Rural, pretty country, not that far from a lot of stuff. Pretty mildish winters generally, colder than the coast but it's as far south as you can get in NH.
    That's where I grew up. More expensive than you think, and unfortunately far from a lot of places because no interstates. If you don't mind being 2 hours from Boston/the beach etc., It's got stunning lakes, but aging population and medical care nowhere near the level available on the seacoast.