Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Roundup

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    No. Did you even read the links? The first two were specifically about herbicides. Monarch butterflies specifically depend on milkweed. Bees get their guts wrecked by glyphosate aka Roundup.
    "Glyphosate perturbs the gut microbiota of honey bees": https://www.pnas.org/content/115/41/10305
    This makes sense on why my brother, a beekeeper, abhors roundup
    when the bees dies, humans will be close behind

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yup. In the end, I'm convinced humans will make things uninhabitable for ourselves, we'll all die off, and the weeds, bugs, and birds shall inherit the earth.

NTTAWWT.
    Cue Chernobyl.

In the meantime, enjoy this baklava I made with glyphosate honey.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Without an effective replacement food production will decline and costs will rise.
    People used to weed fields by hand. An upside to Roundup lawsuits is more investment in alternative technologies like autonomous solar powered weed killers capable of cost effectively mimicking the old way of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Cue Chernobyl.

Great. Now I'm hungry for baklava.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    This makes sense on why my brother, a beekeeper, abhors roundup
    when the bees dies, humans will be close behind
    Exactly. The role of bees is pretty darn well understood and appreciated as being so vital for the planet, but for whatever reason that component seems to get lost in the conversation too often. People get so focused on whether or not glyphosate has a harmful effect on humans, that we lose sight on the fact that we already know it DOES harm, and bees is a pretty darn big topic to overlook.

Kinda disingenuous to imply that the problem has anything specifically to do with glyphosate and not herbicides or even pesticides as a whole.

The first identified herbicide-resistant weed biotype, spreading dayflower (Commelina diffusa), which is resistant to 2,4-D, was identified in 1957 in a Hawaii sugarcane field. Since then, more than 350 weed biotypes resistant to one or more herbicides have been identified worldwide. Current information on the status of herbicide-resistant weeds can be found at http://weedscience.org/
    https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw437/html

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Exactly. The role of bees is pretty darn well understood and appreciated as being so vital for the planet, but for whatever reason that component seems to get lost in the conversation too often. People get so focused on whether or not glyphosate has a harmful effect on humans, that we lose sight on the fact that we already know it DOES harm, and bees is a pretty darn big topic to overlook.
    Glyphosate is far from the only pesticide that harms bees. Many kill them dead on contact. Some of these bee killing pesticides are even certified organic!

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Glyphosate is far from the only pesticide that harms bees. Many kill them dead on contact. Some of these bee killing pesticides are even certified organic!
    We're talking HERBicides, here. Specifically Roundup. Which has the unfortunate byproduct of harming bees.

Yup. In the end, I'm convinced humans will make things uninhabitable for ourselves, we'll all die off, and the weeds, bugs, and birds shall inherit the earth.

NTTAWWT.
    "The planet is fine, the people are fucked."

What if I told you that honey bees are a non-native/invasive species in North America??

What if I told you that honey bees are a non-native/invasive species in North America??

True, but many of the crops they pollinate are non-native too. If they go, so do those crops.

Interesting factoid (it's actually true). BUT they ain't the only critter that helps with pollination. They ARE however a symptom of a great issue at play. If they're getting wiped out, a bunch of other bugs are as well. The bees are just easier to quantify than other insects. It's something much more noticeable.

And this
    vvvvv
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    True, but many of the crops they pollinate are non-native too. If they go, so do those crops.

FWIG the native bees are in a lot more trouble than the europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Cue Chernobyl.

Only a heathen (or a Greek - same thing) makes baklava with honey. Should always be a simple syrup with spices (cinnamon, all spice, cardamom) and rose and orange flower water added.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

That may be a simple syrup to you but that's complex to me because it contains shit I don't have. And it's not like I have rose and orange water laying around either, so perhaps I just double up on the glyphosate?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang